Search similar:

uniqs

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar to djoropallo

to djoropallo

Re: [DVR] 7232 Slow, Unrepsonsive Until Warms Up or a Reboot

The issue is related to the affected channel your box is left on. If it is left on an affected channel and not changed for a period of 2 hours or more the issue is experienced.

I was told I will have details on workarounds and Firmware deployment dates as they become available.

I will post once I know more.

There will be no updates to the IMG (software) at this time.
chitchatjf
join:2008-07-13
Lawrence, MA

chitchatjf

What channels are effected? I assume local broadcast and premium channels are not effected.
I also assume ch 131/1952, which is now outdated as it refers to the 1.9.0 guide.would also not be effected.

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

said by chitchatjf:

What channels are effected? I assume local broadcast and premium channels are not effected.
I also assume ch 131/1952, which is now outdated as it refers to the 1.9.0 guide.would also not be effected.

I would make no such assumptions. Had it happen just the other day changing from a premium to a local - tuner had been sitting on the premium from an earlier recording.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to djoropallo

to djoropallo
It may help to leave your boxes on (I do) as I do and do not experience any issues noted in this thread.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by nascar:

It may help to leave your boxes on (I do) as I do and do not experience any issues noted in this thread.

Several people in this thread have said they leave them on and still experience it.

johnf2
VHO8
Premium Member
join:2001-12-31
Feasterville Trevose, PA

4 edits

johnf2

Premium Member

I have two 7232s. I leave one box on all the time and have the issue. I have also had instances with the other box I leave off all the time, still experiencing the problem to a lesser degree. It's been reported as such.

johnf2

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to djoropallo

to djoropallo
The issue is related to the channel you leave your box set on last and the box turned off.

These two things, try a different channel and leave the box on is what can be tried now to alleviate the issue.

Once I know more in detail, I will post it.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

said by nascar:

The issue is related to the channel you leave your box set on last and the box turned off.

These two things, try a different channel and leave the box on is what can be tried now to alleviate the issue.

Once I know more in detail, I will post it.

.....it affects all my boxes regardless of what channels they are on. 4 different people leaving the boxes on random channels and still the issue remains.

I'd be very surprised that with as many people in this thread having the issue that its a specific channel issue.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to djoropallo

to djoropallo
OK no problem. I won't pass on anything I learn.
necochino
join:2004-09-28
Burke, VA

necochino to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

The issue is related to the affected channel your box is left on. If it is left on an affected channel and not changed for a period of 2 hours or more the issue is experienced.

So the issue has to do with the DVR buffers most likely. I have three boxes. All of them have the problem.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

I wonder why I don't have the issue. 2 - 7232's and 1 - 7100.

My 7232's are recording all the time nearly non stop. I leave them on and both have esata. The 7100 is only on with the TV.
said by necochino:

said by nascar:

So the issue has to do with the DVR buffers most likely. I have three boxes. All of them have the problem.

vz tech 2
join:2005-11-19
Richmond, VA

vz tech 2 to djoropallo

to djoropallo
That is really strange I never have this issue on any of my 4 other 7100 I can turn them off forever and they come right on and I am able to change channels immediately. Now as for the 7232 If I shut the box off for any period of time channel changing is delayed for a min or so, so I just leave the box on not sure if the channel that I leave it on has anything to do with it however I am mostly on 600 or 603 and I have not experience the issue as of late but when time permits I will do a little trial and error experiment
timrek
join:2005-10-26
Reston, VA

timrek

It was on one of the previous posts that it happens when you stay on the same channel for several hours before trying to change the channel. It does not matter if the box is turned on or off during those hours. I've been noticing regularly switching from channel 577 (MASN).
justin9876
join:2006-04-21
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

I have updated the thread in the Verizon Forums to indicate that my DVR seems to be working better this afternoon. I have been out of town since last Thursday, it was awful then, now it is much better, still far from perfect, but a big improvement.

Anybody else seeing this?

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar

I was told it should dissipate starting today. But the real fix is coming in a firmware update.
said by justin9876:

I have updated the thread in the Verizon Forums to indicate that my DVR seems to be working better this afternoon. I have been out of town since last Thursday, it was awful then, now it is much better, still far from perfect, but a big improvement.

Anybody else seeing this?

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to djoropallo

to djoropallo
it only happens once after turning on my TV/cable box...after that 1st freezeup I don't see it again until my next shutdown/restart...also doesn't happen every time...very sporadic issue...not as bad as the video/audio hiccups that were occuring a few months back
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by TitusTroy:

it only happens once after turning on my TV/cable box...after that 1st freezeup I don't see it again until my next shutdown/restart...also doesn't happen every time...very sporadic issue...not as bad as the video/audio hiccups that were occuring a few months back

Be glad that is all you are experiencing, many of us see far more frequent problems.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

I was an early member of the bandwagon complaining about this issue as it was happening frequently enough to be an irritant.

I have been cautious about saying anything but for about a month I have not experienced one freeze-up. I haven't changed anything and haven't heard about Verizon doing anything.

Looks like divine intervention trumps Verizon!!!

Traxless
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
USA

Traxless to djoropallo

Premium Member

to djoropallo
This is a daily issue in North Fort Worth (Texas) and it annoys the *hit out of us. Enough said.
Strommy
join:2010-04-23
King Of Prussia, PA

Strommy to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

My boxes are always on (I never turn them off) and it happens every single time they have been idle for a few hours. And only on the 7232's never on the 6200 I have.

nascar
Verona, NJ

nascar to djoropallo

to djoropallo
Has the issue dissipated any?
Capt_video
join:2001-12-28
Grapevine, TX

Capt_video

It is hard to say that it has for sure even though the last day seems to be better. The reason I say this is that the whole issue seems to be very random. Being an engineer I try to get everything to line up and this problem seems to have no pattern to it at all. There have been times in the last couple of weeks that it has not been an issue for a couple of days and then it hits again. By the way, my units are never turned off and I have two 7216 and one 7232. I must say that when it happens, I am really upset but I have worked with the folks in Irving on a number of STB issues over the years and I know that this is being worked.

TitusTroy
join:2009-06-18
New York, NY

TitusTroy to nascar

to nascar
issue doesn't seem to have gotten any better for me today...although like another poster mentioned, the issue is so random that it's hard to pinpoint
Capt_video
join:2001-12-28
Grapevine, TX

Capt_video

Nope, still there. Just tried to change from 504 to 508 and it took over one minute to change. Had been watching 504 for about two hours before changeing to 508. Neither TV not STB had been turned off in that time.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I'm posting this post from the Verizon forum because a link to it was posted before, but I don't believe the text was ever quoted. This may be the explanation for the similar issues being seen that may be triggered by a variety of circumstances. The link is »forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· 9#M38953.

Re: Very slow channel change - intermittant
10-19-2012 06:34 PM

Thanks for notifying us .This issue was inadvertently caused by a new ad deployment system. You should see some improvement in the next 2 weeks as we are disabling this capability on many channels.

We will be deploying a software fix on all your set top boxes between November 26 to January 7 across all FIOS markets which should resolve this issue fully. Thanks for your patience.

Travis S.
Verizon Telecom Social Media Team .....
ronsc1985
join:2004-07-07
Manassas, VA

ronsc1985 to djoropallo

to djoropallo
Just experienced a new low. After having the box off for 10 minutes it took about 5 minutes to change channels after I turned it back on. This is getting ridiculous. I really doubt anyone at Verizon has a clue about what is wrong. If they did this should be an easy fix, namely just reload the previous software/firmware until the problems are fully fixed and tested.

I have managed many large technical programs encompassing both hardware and software over the years. If managers or employees on my teams had my displayed this level of incompetence they would have been looking for another job.
justin9876
Mount Juliet, TN

justin9876

said by ronsc1985:

Just experienced a new low. After having the box off for 10 minutes it took about 5 minutes to change channels after I turned it back on. This is getting ridiculous. I really doubt anyone at Verizon has a clue about what is wrong. If they did this should be an easy fix, namely just reload the previous software/firmware until the problems are fully fixed and tested.

I have managed many large technical programs encompassing both hardware and software over the years. If managers or employees on my teams had my displayed this level of incompetence they would have been looking for another job.

They do know what is wrong. And they are working on fixing it. And for me at least, as I posted yesterday, my DVR is now working much better than it has been for several months. So it should get somewhat better in the next week or two, and be fully fixed for everybody by around the end of the year (Verizon never updates their entire network at once, for good or bad, they always do a portion of their network at a time).
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

2 edits

PJL to ronsc1985

to ronsc1985
said by ronsc1985:

...namely just reload the previous software/firmware until the problems are fully fixed and tested.

Your assumption is that is was the firmware/software upgrade that broke things, but I don't think it was. See my post above. I believe it was when Verizon implemented "new ad deployment system" that broke something in the existing firmware/software. One would think they would just disable the "new ad deployment system" that broke things fully, but instead they "are disabling this capability on many channels" -- BUT NOT ALL. Clearly Verizon has advertising commitments that they don't want to ignore, so instead they won't just disable the entire ad system until they can implement the fix (which is a firmware update or something in the "new ad deployment system") but instead perpetuate the problems we're all having. They continue to forget who are the REAL customers.
I don't think this problem began until well after IMG 1.9.1 was deployed. The earliest posts on the problem I can find are for mid-August (on the Verizon Community FiOS TV forum). It happened when Verizon's local insertion "new ad deployment system" came online -- there are many more ads, more HD (full 16x9) local adds, on more channels than before.
The bottom line: VERIZON HAS MESSED UP!
PJL

PJL to justin9876

to justin9876
justin9876 They do know what is wrong. And they are working on fixing it. And for me at least, as I posted yesterday, my DVR is now working much better than it has been for several months. So it should get somewhat better in the next week or two, and be fully fixed for everybody by around the end of the year (Verizon never updates their entire network at once, for good or bad, they always do a portion of their network at a time).

Justin, see my above post to ronsc1985. I agree that "they do know what is wrong. And they are working on fixing it." But they could fix it IMMEDIATELY by turning off the "new add deployement system" that broke things. But they won't because it would cost them ad revenue.
ronsc1985
join:2004-07-07
Manassas, VA

ronsc1985 to PJL

to PJL
My assumption is spot on. You assume I meant the STB exclusively. They changed something and the system took a dump.

It's simple go back to where you were and fix the problem software/firmware wherever it is located before redeploying.

This isn't complicated you take care of your customers first. No customers no ad revenue no matter what "ad deployment system" you are using.

I also doubt they know what the problem is. If they did they could fix it pronto.

I've heard similar stories for many years when problems cropped up. Someone always has a reason but when asked to fix it they stall because the reality is they don't really understand the problem in the first instance.

I would remind everyone the correlation doesn't imply causality. Just because problems coincide with some event doesn't in and of itself show the event is the cause.