Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44
reply to dave

Re: [Rant] Sale tax on ebay

I won the auction which requires paypal payment.
Checking out in paypal and then there is a sales tax.

Yes the item is used, so the sales tax should have been paid originally when sold as new. It would not make sense to keep charging tax on the same item over and over again.
Also the seller is in Ohio and I am in Texas. Paypal put in texas sales tax at checkout I assume based on my shipping address.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

So is that Paypal screwing up or the vendor cheating you?

(I use neither Paypal nor eBay)

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to r81984

Tell the seller that Paypal req'd sales tax on this purchase which is in error. Remind him that you might have to confirm with the state of TX that he submits the collected tax too (bluffing, of course).

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

In the checkout comments I explained that he should refund the sales tax as I am in texas and it was wrong to charge that to me.
I now have a tracking number saying it is shipped and I never got a response to the comment.
I will send an email to see if they will respond.
--

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT
reply to r81984

They need to charge me sales tax, then let them. Rather pay it then and then having to dick with it later.

disconnected

@snet.net
reply to r81984

Internet sales tax:

violates interstate commerce (states shall not interfere)

kills the market for internet (already pay shipping and have to wait a week, as opposed to B&M no shipping and take it home right now).

is a nightmare to administrate for the sellers involved.

As soon as I see sales tax being charged on something I'm about to buy on the internet, I cancel the transaction and go elsewhere.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

1) It is not "an internet sales tax" -- it's a state sales tax collected on goods delivered for purchases in a particular state. The difference in wording is subtle, but TX (in this case) charges the tax not because it was a purchase made on the internet, but because it was delivered in TX.

2) It's no different from mail-order in terms of crossing state lines. Judging by past posts from you, you simply don't like taxation in any form. I note that states that assess no sales tax tend to have higher property taxes. That'll make you happier, eh?

3) Having to pay shipping is nothing to do with having to pay taxes. What an argument: "I have to give money to UPS therefore it's unfair for me to have to pay the state too".

4) "Take it home right now". Yes indeedy, those internet companies sure are at a competitive disadvantage compared to bricks-and-mortar stores, so they need a tax bypass to remain in business?

5) It's the very fact that Amazon wants in-TX warehouses for faster delivery that has caused them to accede to TX demands to collect the due tax.

6) "A nightmare to administrate for the sellers involved". Yeah, that one is probably true, but we're not talking mom-and-pop, we're talking about huge corporations.

7) "As soon as I see sales tax being charged on something I'm about to buy on the internet, I cancel the transaction and go elsewhere". You are presumably familiar with the expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face"?

8) Usual caveat: I'm not a tax fan, i just abhor poor arguments.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

Your arguments are odd and very poor.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by r81984:

Why, precisely?

Be substantive. "Your arguments are very poor" does not advance the discussion one iota.

So far, you haven't even attempted to explain why your state's tax on articles imported from another state ('use tax') should not be collected in accordance with your state's laws. Instead, you prefer to talk about 'intergalactic' and 'international' commerce, which is entirely irrelevant. TX says that if you have a physical presence in TX you have to collect TX taxes. That the order was placed by internet rather than US mail is irrelevant.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Somerset, NJ
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

No they aren't. If they were, you would be able to supply ample retorts.
--
What smells like blue?

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX

I thought I was amongst peers. Usually you dont explain the little things when you already know your audience can grasp the concepts on their own.
--

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to r81984

quote:
Yes the item is used, so the sales tax should have been paid originally when sold as new. It would not make sense to keep charging tax on the same item over and over again.
Would you have had to pay sales tax if you had purchased the camera at a Pawn Shop in Texas, or would it be tax free since it was used?

The reason sellers are/are going to be collecting sales tax on internet purchases is because the purchasers are not self reporting their taxes owed to the States as they are supposed to. I did enjoy the tax free purchases previously, also realized that it would not last forever as the States were losing out on Revenues. The other reason is to try and help traditional Brick and Mortar stores stay in business which also has the side effect of keeping more people employed at the local level.

If you want blind support of your opposition to the tax you should have posted in the Red Room where Grover Norquist's followers reside. *shrugs*

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
reply to r81984

I resent having to pay tax on an item I had to order online since no one in town carried the damn item. I paid as much in gas tax looking for the item - and it's no good using the phone. Automated systems, too few clerks, etc. Will check web sites - half the time item is not there. Or like Wally World - everything under the sun is listed, but a lot of it is "unavailable"

Some of this is almost any city's doing. They often encourage big box stores against which the smaller independent stores who would give service, can't compete.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
Katy, TX
reply to Dolgan

I never heard of anyone that supported online sales tax until I posted here. Its just very odd that people support it.

BTW, very few sites charge sales tax online.
--

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Who said I "supported" it?

Your problem is that you seemingly can't distinguish between an argument about how things actually are (it's a state use tax, not an 'online' anything) and your own self-interest (don't want to pay the tax).

My position is that:

1. No, I don't like paying taxes either

2. It is entirely consistently with existing tax regulations that state use tax be levied on online purchases

And the reason why very few sites charge TX sales tax online is that those sites do not have physical presence in TX.

Dolgan
Premium
join:2005-10-01
Sun Prairie, WI
reply to r81984

Didn't say I supported it, showed I understand why we will see it on all internet purchases in the near future. There is a difference between understanding why something is occurring and either supporting, or being against, an issue.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to r81984

said by r81984:

I thought I was amongst peers. Usually you dont explain the little things when you already know your audience can grasp the concepts on their own.

I can grasp the concept on my own. In the State of California, a sales tax is supposed to be collected on every item purchased. Buy it from a seller with no physical presence in the state and the buyer is supposed to report the purchase and pony up the tax. That nobody ever does that doesn't make it OK to not do that. Used items are supposed to be taxed here, too.

WRT a seller in Ohio collecting taxes on out-of-state purchases: Unless he is reporting, and submitting payment to the buyer's state, he is wrong. But some states expect their citizens to pay a tax, whether the merchant collects it, or not.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

Bongodrongo

join:2012-09-02
reply to r81984

Ebay is a rip off for fees!!