share rss forum feed

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

[WIN8] I miss Aero

I suppose I will get used to it but I really miss Aero in Windows 8. Everything feels so flat, blocky and lifeless.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

That's because they're trying to discourage you from using the "classic desktop" interface.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

aero like the bubble thing that pops up when you hoover your mouse over a task bar icon? i thought windows 8 has no task bar icons no more? how can they make areo work for it
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Aero is the entire visual experience / ui of Windows 7.

»windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/wind···ows-Aero

I'm totally going to miss it if / when I start using W8 on a desktop...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

I sort of feel like I'm back to using Windows 3.1. I guess people that had a death grip on Win2K might like this

I recall the desktop looking better in the beta than it does in the final.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

I suppose I will get used to it but I really miss Aero in Windows 8. Everything feels so flat, blocky and lifeless.

yeah... it takes about a day to realize you're supposed to be using the stuff inside the window borders Seriously, you do get used to it.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Razzy1

@rr.com
reply to Michail

Funny thing is, taskbar is translucent.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by Razzy1 :

Funny thing is, taskbar is translucent.

I've got taskbar on autohide anyway. I never see it.
--

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Michail

I installed and played with the Release Preview, and I remember Aero still being in it. And, by Aero, I mean the glass effect of the windows, the pop-up small thumbnail display when you would mouse over running applications in the task bar.

However, I think it was called something else...like "glass theme" or something. I had to go into the display settings or something to turn that effect on. I don't have the Windows 8 Release preview installed now, so I cannot get the exact wording or location.

So, it makes me wonder if the same is true in the RTM of Windows 8? The option may be there, just called something else?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR

Maybe... (I don't have it installed currently either) but everyone posted in mid-May how about how it had actually been removed and made it sound like it was actually gone, not just hidden...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to Michail

I think the only thing actually missing is the faux-3D, flipping-through-your-windows alt-tab effect.

But then I never used Vista/7 much.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to Michail

Try Classic Shell.

It will help.

»classicshell.sourceforge.net/
\
Wunning it on Win8 RTM and it helps me a lot.

Dave
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to Michail

Glass Look example #1

Glass Look example #2

Aero

Click for full size
Window Color & Appearance Options
Click for full size
Non-Aero Theme Color Options
Click for full size
Control Panel Search
I went ahead and installed the Windows 8 Release Preview (64 bit) from May 31, 2012.

Once the install was done, and I went to my desktop, I noticed that the bar at the bottom had the "glass effect" enabled, as I could see through the bar to the desktop behind it. My first two pictures show this.

I then opened a few items, and moused over the running items in the task bar at the bottom, and noticed that "aero peek" (or whatever you want to call it) still works. This is shown in my 3rd picture.

Finally, the setting that I was talking about is shown in my 4th picture. The option is "Enable Transparency". While the full path is shown in the bar at the top, how I got there was
1) Right-Click on the desktop and select "Personalize"
2) Left-Click on the "Windows Color" icon near the bottom of the screen

By default (again, in the Release Preview) the option for "Enable transparency" was checked. I did not have to do anything to enable this.

I also want to add that in the "Personalization" window, there are two Aero Themes listed. If I select one of the other themes (under Basic and High Contract Themes), and try to enable / disable the same option (Enable transparency), the option is not present. In fact, the screen looks different (See picture #5). So, there is something in the "Theme" that allows that option to be there.

Since I don't have access to any of the Windows 8 RTM's, I am not able to verify that these steps and settings work the same way, or if the Aero Themes are present or not.

But, I did want to point out how the Windows 8 Release Preview was working, so that those that are running a RTM version of Windows 8 could go look and see what options are there.

Finally, I am wondering what comes up in the Windows 8 RTM versions if you type "Enable Transp" into the search box for the control panel. In the Release Preview, I get what is shown in my last picture. Of course, if I am not running the Aero theme, when I click on the option, I get the same screen that I referenced before, without the checkbox for "Enable Transparency". Yet what is interesting is that the text below the words "Personalization" does say "Enable or disable transparent glass on windows".

The bottom line that I'm trying to figure out / point out is that in the Release Preview, the options are there for the "Aero effect", which I'm going to say are the "Glass effect of the Windows, and the ability to "peek" at things that are running in the task bar". I am thinking that those running a Windows 8 RTM search for "Glass effect" or "Enable Transparent", you may get something. Or, maybe not, if they really did take it out.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

Oedipus

Sort of glassy look on taskbar

No glass effect on windows

Aero peek, but still no glass

Click for full size
No option to enable transparency
Click for full size
No transparency submenu

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA

You sure your video drivers are compatible? I had the same issue with the release preview until I updated to the nvidia beta drivers. That said something may have changed since then, but I doubt it.

Oedipus

If you're talking to me, I'm running Catalyst 12.8.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Michail

I am running RTM. Taskbar is transparent. Window borders not. No settings available to enable transparent windows. Not a driver issue, enabling this feature was removed, but you can get it by doing this dance:

»www.tips-trick.com/how-to-enable···ndows-8/

»www.symbianize.com/showthread.php?p=13100285

The transparency seems pretty flaky - it's pure transparent or not, any change undoes the transparency
--

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I'll get used to it over time. I recall the betas of the Win 8 desktop looked better. I sort of feel like I'm using one of those high contrast schemes.

I suppose I should say "I miss Aero Glass" to be technically correct.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
reply to Michail

I seem to recall Microsoft gutted Aero at some point after the betas, which may be why most people remember glass being there before and not now.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Michail

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWt94nGwzZ4

If this fails to work for you... don't worry. Windows 7 with REAL Aero will always be here for ya.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
reply to Michail

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by J E F F:

MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Eye candy IS what most people want. Apple and Microsoft learned that many years ago.

Some people like YOU have leaned to babble for the sake of babbling.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by mozerd:

said by J E F F:

MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Eye candy IS what most people want. Apple and Microsoft learned that many years ago.

Certainly true in my case. I stare at a computer screen 10+ hours a day and if it ain't pretty...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

I wouldn't say 100% useless and they have zero to insignificant impact on any modern computer. There is a great deal of human psychology at play when it comes to user interface design. User perception of software quality, trust and usability often starts with the visual impression.

What Microsoft is doing is to de-emphasize the multi-windowed dektop environment. Now they have also knocked the glass out of their windows. I'm finding the product name of "Windows" rather ironic.

Oedipus

reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Have you seen the Metro portion of Windows 8? It's only the desktop side of Windows 8 that has been pared down in the looks department.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Oedipus:

said by J E F F:

Have you seen the Metro portion of Windows 8? It's only the desktop side of Windows 8 that has been pared down in the looks department.

I've used a beta of metro about a year or so ago. Personally I think it sucks, the metro gui part.

Don't get me wrong, though, I like the eye candy too.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I just discovered you can't even change the size of window borders without going into the registry. The smallest size you can get from there is even a bit too large.

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Michail

Yep. Expect more changes...

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I find the dynamic solid borders that replaced glass kind of difficult on the eyes. When they take on the predominant color of the wallpaper they actually vanish into the desktop more than a transparency does. It flies in the face of consistency.

I'll probably be turning that off.

xDEFIANTx

join:2010-10-21
USA
reply to Michail

I was a Windows XP hold out. I hated Vista, the changes the performance. then I hoped for Windows 7, only to be disappointed that it was Vista with fixes but still too different for me. I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me. I will never give up on XP as a gamer, I can't. But using 8 as my workstation...well I'm sold.

The Metro interface is more then a gimmick. I really like using it and with a few tweaks, I can dance between Metro and the desktop with ease.

And let me state For you Windows 7 guys, when I refused to give up XP... You aren't afraid of a little change are you? Come on get with the times...time to move on *smirk**wink*