J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Michail

Re: [WIN8] I miss Aero

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by J E F F:

MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Eye candy IS what most people want. Apple and Microsoft learned that many years ago.

Some people like YOU have leaned to babble for the sake of babbling.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by mozerd:

said by J E F F:

MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Eye candy IS what most people want. Apple and Microsoft learned that many years ago.

Certainly true in my case. I stare at a computer screen 10+ hours a day and if it ain't pretty...
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

I wouldn't say 100% useless and they have zero to insignificant impact on any modern computer. There is a great deal of human psychology at play when it comes to user interface design. User perception of software quality, trust and usability often starts with the visual impression.

What Microsoft is doing is to de-emphasize the multi-windowed dektop environment. Now they have also knocked the glass out of their windows. I'm finding the product name of "Windows" rather ironic.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Have you seen the Metro portion of Windows 8? It's only the desktop side of Windows 8 that has been pared down in the looks department.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by Oedipus:

said by J E F F:

Have you seen the Metro portion of Windows 8? It's only the desktop side of Windows 8 that has been pared down in the looks department.

I've used a beta of metro about a year or so ago. Personally I think it sucks, the metro gui part.

Don't get me wrong, though, I like the eye candy too.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I just discovered you can't even change the size of window borders without going into the registry. The smallest size you can get from there is even a bit too large.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Michail

Yep. Expect more changes...

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I find the dynamic solid borders that replaced glass kind of difficult on the eyes. When they take on the predominant color of the wallpaper they actually vanish into the desktop more than a transparency does. It flies in the face of consistency.

I'll probably be turning that off.

xDEFIANTx

join:2010-10-21
USA
reply to Michail

I was a Windows XP hold out. I hated Vista, the changes the performance. then I hoped for Windows 7, only to be disappointed that it was Vista with fixes but still too different for me. I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me. I will never give up on XP as a gamer, I can't. But using 8 as my workstation...well I'm sold.

The Metro interface is more then a gimmick. I really like using it and with a few tweaks, I can dance between Metro and the desktop with ease.

And let me state For you Windows 7 guys, when I refused to give up XP... You aren't afraid of a little change are you? Come on get with the times...time to move on *smirk**wink*

Oedipus

said by xDEFIANTx:

I was a Windows XP hold out. I hated Vista, the changes the performance. then I hoped for Windows 7, only to be disappointed that it was Vista with fixes but still too different for me. I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me. I will never give up on XP as a gamer, I can't. But using 8 as my workstation...well I'm sold.

The Metro interface is more then a gimmick. I really like using it and with a few tweaks, I can dance between Metro and the desktop with ease.

And let me state For you Windows 7 guys, when I refused to give up XP... You aren't afraid of a little change are you? Come on get with the times...time to move on *smirk**wink*

Windows 7 is "too different" from XP but Windows 8 is not? Yeah, ok. On the point of gaming, XP has long since been kicked to the curb in that department due to the lack of DX10/11 support.

I'm not moving on from 7 in the same way that you didn't move on from XP. Don't be a hypocrite.

xDEFIANTx

USA

said by Oedipus:

said by xDEFIANTx:

Windows 7 is "too different" from XP but Windows 8 is not? Yeah, ok. On the point of gaming, XP has long since been kicked to the curb in that department due to the lack of DX10/11 support.

I'm not moving on from 7 in the same way that you didn't move on from XP. Don't be a hypocrite.

"I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me."

Missed that part did you.

Try playing Thief on windows 7 or better yet, take a look at this:
»www.microsoft.com/windows/compat···ult.aspx
Notice the the games not working or supported by Windows 7? This isn't about performance, It's about compatibility. All the Old games from yesteryear designed for Windows XP will work best for that OS. Yes some may work just fine in 7, those that do will get that honor of being played in my workstation. Not ALL of them do... so you good sir can piss off.

Oedipus

said by xDEFIANTx:

said by Oedipus:

said by xDEFIANTx:

"I know that windows 8 is much like 7 but there is something about it that really works for me."

Missed that part did you.

Try playing Thief on windows 7 or better yet, take a look at this:
»www.microsoft.com/windows/compat···ult.aspx
Notice the the games not working or supported by Windows 7? This isn't about performance, It's about compatibility. All the Old games from yesteryear designed for Windows XP will work best for that OS. Yes some may work just fine in 7, those that do will get that honor of being played in my workstation. Not ALL of them do... so you good sir can piss off.

No, I can read. I did see that, and it doesn't change my sentiments at all.

If you want to play games from yesteryear, go ahead. New ones, like BF3 as one example, straight up will not work in XP. While I really don't want to argue about the definition of "gamer" with you, the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of that word is not someone who plays a bunch of dusty old games. Before you prolapse your colon, I play a lot of old games too, but I use dosbox.

xDEFIANTx

USA

1 edit
reply to Michail

Then you fail to acknowledge what the definition is at all.

Gamer ie someone who plays games. --notice the period?

Windows XP is entering an era of a new definition of "old games". Yes I too use Dosbox for OLD games. But the games newer that Dos but not new enough to be played in 7. How would categorize those? So in conclusion...

...please go away.

Unclever witticisms of old age are unclever.

Oedipus

Didn't I say I didn't want to argue about the definition of "gamer" with you? Jesus, and you claim I can't read.

I do understand your point about those "middle aged" games that wont work in 7, or at least the 64 bit version of 7. XP certainly has a place if you're still into that kind of thing.

Unclever uses of memes are unclever. I'm just trying to keep you from getting too buttmad.

xDEFIANTx

USA

Let's face it, the reason your really mad is the fact that I like Windows 8 and you don't. If that wasn't the case you wouldn't of replied to my post in the first place.

Seek therapy. It will be ok.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to xDEFIANTx

said by xDEFIANTx:

That's much like me. I hated Vista, was annoyed by 7, then along came 8, which has now lived on my laptop's hard drive for much much longer than either Vista or 7.

I'm not sure what it was. Maybe I ended up disabling the annoyances 8 carries over from Vista and 7 while I was exploring the new gui. Maybe it just works better. Maybe some combination of the two. Either way, it's the first Windows I've had a good first impression of since Windows 2000. (You see, initially, I hated XP too.) That cheap upgrade offer has got me considering getting it at release too, instead of waiting for the first service pack.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

xDEFIANTx

USA

4 edits

Thanks, I was beginning to think I was alone.

Now to be fair, I've had to add a couple tweaks to shore up some personal hangups. All in all it's very usable.

Skip Metro:»winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103
I block the Windows edge hot spots and boot directly to Desktop. I'd be ok to boot to metro but for some reason Skip Metro won't block the hot edges unless that option is checked. I have no use for the Charms Bar but even that is not a deal breaker. UPDATE: Metro Skip now blocks screen edge hot spots without booting directly to Desktop.

I switch between the Desktop and Metro menu by this:
»www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/64···ram.html ---placed in the taskbar. I move my taskbar to the top of my screen(Mac like). The built in switcher does not follow, it stays in the bottom left corner. I hate having to bounce from top to bottom so this puts everything in one direction.

Unfortunately Classic Shell has become not useable because of Skip Metro. I use Classic Shell to add some easy access buttons. But even if I can't use it, I'm still getting around ok.

Even If Metro is a flop, It has at least got me using a modern OS.

Metro:
»s8.postimage.org/65jfw4xkl/metro.jpg
Desktop:
»s12.postimage.org/y026sbp0t/desktop.jpg

xDEFIANTx

USA

2 edits
reply to Michail

AERO for you Aero Glass lovers...

»i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l50···_572.jpg

"In May, Microsoft revealed the new look of the desktop for Windows 8. The company said that it wanted the desktop to have more of a "Metro" (now Modern) look. Part of the changes included getting rid of the Aero Glass desktop look that was first introduced in Windows Vista. Microsoft said simply that ", We have moved beyond Aero Glass."

However, there are still Windows users who love the Aero Glass look of the desktop and were not happy that it would not be making an appearance in Windows 8. Now, a software modder claims he has found a way to put Aero Glass back into the RTM version of Windows 8.

In a post on PCBeta.com's message boards, the modder, who goes by the handle "kwanmacher", claims that he has put in the Aero Glass look in the Windows 8 desktop by adding in the source codes. He has also added a screenshot in his post to prove he got the mod to work.
This person claims that he will make the files for the Windows 8 Aero Glass mod freely available to download sometime next week. Hopefully they will work as advertised. We also hope Microsoft allows this kind of mod to be released for Windows 8."

»bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-1125358-1-1.html
Shared from a site I can't repost here.

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I've actually closed a few wrong windows recently while on the Windows 8 desktop. The boarders and title bars just don't look like OS components. It's hard to describe but things just feel wrong.

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

said by Michail:

I've actually closed a few wrong windows recently while on the Windows 8 desktop. The boarders and title bars just don't look like OS components. It's hard to describe but things just feel wrong.

Take a look at this and see if it helps:
DSLR: »[Info] WIN8 RTM Easter Egg brings back Aero Lite theme
--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to Michail

said by Michail:

You'll get used to it
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kilroy
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN
reply to Michail

I finally got my new machine mostly built, am waiting for the last drive for my RAID array before I load it up and move my data. I installed Windows 8, RTM, and spent most of the weekend playing with it. I too found that the lack of Aero makes it look unpolished. Don't give me the they want you to use the new interface, most of your programs go to the desktop. Very few things that you use an actual computer for stay in the new UI. The way I saw it was you have two interfaces, the tablet and computer. They actually have their own control panels. You can't change your login screen background from the desktop you have to do it from the tablet UI.

I'm sure I'll get used it it, but it is going to be a while.
--
Want the shirt? - »www.despair.com/thedestructor.html
Not afiliated or making any profit from sales

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to Michail

Personally I think Apple uses a very plain and simple Desktop design too. Somewhat lacking in color and dimension. It's not a big deal to me either way though.

I got used to XP, Vista / Windows 7 as well as Android, iOS, WebOS and OS X. So I guess I can get used to Windows 8 no problem. In fact I am well on my way in this respect.

I just feel like the simplicity of the Metro interface icons won't necessarily translate well to higher resolution screens (2560x1440 and up) due to the simplicity of the icons. I mean basically they are just shapes with color.

I do miss Aero too though,.....

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Michail

Check out BOTH links in this thread, as mentioned above by Gone Fishing See Profile.

»[Info] WIN8 RTM Easter Egg brings back Aero Lite theme

Michail
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Michail

I fired up a laptop yesterday that had an older Windows 8 beta still installed. It looked so much better.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

Actually a little known thing about areo in win7 is that when enabled it would offload the processing of it to the GPU, but when disabled it would stick it to the CPU causing a higher CPU load.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

said by DarkLogix:

said by J E F F:

Actually a little known thing about areo in win7 is that when enabled it would offload the processing of it to the GPU, but when disabled it would stick it to the CPU causing a higher CPU load.

Was unaware of that...
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

Many are.

and its a shame, MS put in alot of behind the scenes work on win7 to boost performance and then people turn the stuff off and lower performance by making it look like 2k.

so with W8 they gave up and remove areo.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

For these kids playing Minecraft, though, disabling aero would have been ideal, correct?

Funny thing is, when I first fiddled with Windows 8 about a year or more+ ago, you could get out of the metro gui and onto the regular Vista/7 gui. It was one of the first available for people.
--