plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to Kilroy

Re: [WIN8] I miss Aero

said by Kilroy:

I understand that this is to make it function on the lower end hardware, ie tablets, but why should those of us with a real video card have to suffer?

This was the point I was making to. Make it off by default (just like Windows 8 installs now), so that the OS works on all platforms that it was designed for. However, if the end user has hardware that will support it (desktops with stand-alone video cards for example), then give them the option to enable it. Sure, the option to enable it could be there on a tablet to, but then the user may see performance issues, bad colors, etc, and then they can just turn it back off again.

It all comes down to choice, which is what Microsoft appears to be taking away from us.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
I hear windows 9 is going to rock.\
Win8 is just Windows ME the third coming

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Kilroy
I just don't get the corner hate.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to DarkLogix
Windows 9 is gonna have the start screen.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by J E F F:

Kinda like XP and 2000......MS has learned, computers run better w / o eye candy. Nice looking feature, 100% useless.

Actually a little known thing about areo in win7 is that when enabled it would offload the processing of it to the GPU, but when disabled it would stick it to the CPU causing a higher CPU load.

I have noticed if you set theme to "Windows Classic" or "Windows Basic" it renders differently - its like it's not complete code or something. It doesn't redraw the entire window at the same time - Windows XP with "Windows Classic" theme "acted" better than Vista/7. "Windows 7" theme (Aero Glass) even runs/looks better than "Windows Classic" and "Windows Basic". "Windows 7" theme with transparent off is the fastest of all. To get that theme, you choose "Windows 7" then click on "Windows Color" and untick "Enable Transparency". Do not untick "Enable desktop composition" in Performance tab or it will not work.

I have ALL animations disabled in Performance tab, shadows included. It is very distracting if I leave them enabled. I cannot stand the way it fades in and out. It must appear instantly RIGHT after I click the mouse button. The Windows 8 start screen appears and disappear instantly - none of that animation.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to RazzyW8
said by RazzyW8 :

Not if win8 bombs out.

RazzyW8

@rr.com
said by DarkLogix:

said by RazzyW8 :

Not if win8 bombs out.

It won't, I promise.