spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca

Videotron Tells customer to go F himself

Some guy has an account at videotron. Wife is on the account as a secondary person.

They are splitting up. She calls videotron and can actually remove him as the account holder and lock him out of his own services that are in his name.

Guy posts a youtube vid of the videotron guy telling him this should happen, but they did it anyhow. See here:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8ZW0-pO6U

Also see the guys story here:
»[Internet] Warning - you can be locked out of your own videotron

Now it hit the media. See the Montreal Gazette here:
»www.montrealgazette.com/business···ory.html

Videotron new excuse that differs from what he recorded:
The policies state this can be done.

So I checked their policies on their website, including their privacy policy. I see nothing at all that says someone you put on as a secondary can remove the account holder from their services and take it over. Including locking you out of services like your Email which may now be gone forever.

Amazing or what?

Guy filed with the CRTC. I would love to find out videotrons written excuse.

I think I'll add some made up person as a secondary user to my account now. When billing time rolls around I'll call pretending to be that secondary person and say to lock me out. Then I'll watch how videotrons made up policy (which isn't visible on their site) forces a made-up person to pay and not me. After-all, their invisible policy seems to allow this.

Now you know how to get out of paying your videotron bill. Legally too, per videotron.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Man. That is sooooo fscked up.

Mike

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Incredible, maybe I'll add a fitcious person to my cell account, then have that person cancel my cell service. When they try do ding me for termination charges, they're all, since I didn't cancel.

zorxd

join:2010-02-05
Quebec, QC
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to oh LOOK
There is no such thing as primary or secondary account holders. Both are equal, from what I understand. So both can remove the other.

In the end, if you fear this can happen to you, make sure you are the only one on your account.

I don't think videotron is to blame for that, I think it's what most people want (the wife has the right to keep the account too, and move it to her new address). However, they could be more helpful to the poor guy who lost his account. It must not be that hard to activate the account again.

Also, do not use your ISP's email service as an important business email address.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Incredible, maybe I'll add a fitcious person to my cell account, then have that person cancel my cell service. When they try do ding me for termination charges, they're all, since I didn't cancel.

You would still be responsible unless you had that fictitious person remove you from the account before you cancel.

Of course, since the person is actually you, you'd be a) committing fraud, and b) still responsible.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Oinktastic
Let them use fibre

join:2005-08-24
Scarborough
Reviews:
·localphone.com
reply to oh LOOK
Someone I know is having a related issue with Rogers. The main account holder is out of the country for extended periods of time and the people who primarily use the services here in Toronto cannot make changes without his permission. He recently called in from abroad and gave someone else "level 1" permission on the account in order for them to be able to control the services. However there is only one "level 1" account controller allowed, so he (the account owner) was downgraded to a "level 2". A level 2 cannot make account changes, according to Rogers.

So now, he's still responsible for the bill, but someone else controls the account. If he wants to cancel anything or make changes to the account he's paying for, he'll have to go beg the "level 1" permissions holder to do so.

It won't be a problem in this family, but I can definitely imagine many instances, like the one referenced in the OP, where this can probably get very hairy.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to HeadSpinning
And commuting fraud is different then what Rogers does everyday how?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to oh LOOK
said by oh LOOK :

Some guy has an account at videotron. Wife is on the account as a secondary person.

They are splitting up. She calls videotron and can actually remove him as the account holder and lock him out of his own services that are in his name....

Isn't the part which I quoted all that matters ?

Think of THIS :

(1) She calls and has him removed as an account holder.

(2) HE doesn't have to PAY anymore !

What's so bad about THAT ?

And she would have to agree with their ToS to become the sole account holder before they would remove him, right ?

I mean, in some ways, it all sucks like youse all said, but he can open a new account with them or with another provider at his new place of residence (OP said that they ARE splitting up).

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

LOL... good point.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

join:2012-08-06
said by HeadSpinning:

said by elwoodblues:

LOL... good point.

Not really.

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
said by 46666818:

Not really.

Whatever dude.

Anyone (and I've had this happen personally) can call Rogers and say they're moving into my house, then Rogers will send out a tech and put a locking terminator in my box and de-sub all my IRDs, without actually contacting me in the first place. FACT!

join:2012-08-06
And?

filler

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
said by 46666818:

And?

filler

And they supposedly have rules in place to prevent this, but seemingly, nobody at Rogers bothers to follow them.

They told Jason (CGO co-founder) they had rules in place to combat this exact problem when he found out that his Rogers services had been cancelled without his authorization at the home he lived in (and wasn't moving from) when his bills were all paid up to date. They didn't want to look into how or why it happened, all while we were in the middle of the Throttling complaint against Rogers.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to xsbell
said by xsbell:

said by 46666818:

Not really.

Whatever dude.

Anyone (and I've had this happen personally) can call Rogers and say they're moving into my house, then Rogers will send out a tech and put a locking terminator in my box and de-sub all my IRDs, without actually contacting me in the first place. FACT!

He's a troll...
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
that sucks. in wireless accounts, the primary and secondary are different access levels

le eh

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues
elwoodblues, although you are in Toronto, would you like to be the secondary user on my Quebec videotron account? I plan on dumping them in 6 months and don't feel like paying the final bill.

But don't worry, videotrons policy (per videotron) allows this. Just call from Skype or something and say your name is Pierre Poutine.

oh LOOK

@videotron.ca
More info here. Not much more though.

»blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/0···divorce/

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to xsbell
I had the exact same thing happen with Cogeco. Someone called in to say they were moving into my apartment and Cogeco cut off my services. Their rationale was that people leave all the time and don't call to cancel so they assume that if someone calls to say they're.moving in it's legit. Whatever. It didn't do anything to get my Internet hooked up quicker.

whoaru99

join:2003-12-17
reply to oh LOOK
My brother and another person were sharing an apartment. Everything was in my brothers name. After a big falling out he kicked out the other person. Before this other person left they called all services and cancelled everything.

It took lots of explaining and legwork to get everything going again. It was quite the dirty trick.

arahman56

join:2011-08-11
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Davesnothere
>He said losing access to email has disrupted his business life, because he recently started a new job and received an iPhone from his employer, but was unavailable by email.

When he tried to email me, it bounced back, Pequegnat said. I just started a new job, and was missing in action. It wasnt a pleasant thing to have to explain to a new employer.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by arahman56:

>>>He said losing access to email has disrupted his business life, because he recently started a new job and received an iPhone from his employer, but was unavailable by email.

"When he tried to email me, it bounced back", Pequegnat said. "I just started a new job, and was missing in action. It wasn't a pleasant thing to have to explain to a new employer."

Yeah, I just read about the email issue in the Videotron forum thread.

THAT makes a MAJOR difference !

Videotron goofed BIGTIME if they did not still keep a backup of cancelled email accounts for a reasonable period of time.

THEY ought to know better.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to arahman56
said by arahman56:

>He said losing access to email has disrupted his business life, because he recently started a new job and received an iPhone from his employer, but was unavailable by email.

When he tried to email me, it bounced back, Pequegnat said. I just started a new job, and was missing in action. It wasnt a pleasant thing to have to explain to a new employer.

This is a fail, why would an employer give you an iphone and then have you use your personal account for business purposes.

2nd of all, what "business contacts" would he have in his VTL account that he wouldn't have in an email client?

Think about that for a bit.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

All gravy

@videotron.ca
Personally, I don't think it's even relevant.

It should never have happened. Period.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
said by All gravy :

Personally, I don't think it's even relevant.

It should never have happened. Period.

I agree it shouldn't have happened, but some of the story just doesn't wash.

Fardoche

join:2010-09-08
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues
Iphones can't be use to call someone? Only by email??

eh really

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

1. This is a fail, why would an employer give you an iphone and then have you use your personal account for business purposes.

2. 2nd of all, what "business contacts" would he have in his VTL account that he wouldn't have in an email client?

Think about that for a bit.

1. Guy just started the job. This isn't out of the ordinary.
2. If the guy just started a job, yeah he would likely have his contacts on his home Email account. Why wouldn't he?

If you do think about it a bit, there is nothing out of the ordinary.

said by Fardoche:

Iphones can't be use to call someone? Only by email??

If a manager sends out an Email, you never get it, should he call to say I didn't get that Email I never saw? I'll let you think that one over...

Or,

If the Email never made it, maybe the Email really wasn't that important for the boss to call the guy and say, "what's up"? Or maybe the boss didn't realize it bounced back.

I take it none of you guys ever had a job where a company may dish out blackberry's or iphones?

Let us assume sales.

1. Guy just starts (he even stated so)
2. Some companies will fix him up with a company Email, when they get to it. Meanwhile put something in that works till you get one.
3. Email goes out.
4. Guy never gets it.

I don't see what is so hard to grasp here. Even I never got a company Email till a month later.

Where is the big conspiracy and straws you are pulling at here?

Besides, is the Email address he uses really anyones business besides his own and maybe the employer who didn't fix one up the same day he got the phone?

slow poke

@videotron.ca
I only now noticed that this is on the front page of DSLr:
»ISP Bans Man From His Own Account

skydiver75

@acanac.net
reply to oh LOOK
Oh, I actually had similar experience.

It was with sprint phone service.
I lived in my fathers apartment (and he left to europe at that time). Somehow some scamer telemarketer from sprint talked to me and switched my father's phone account from bell to sprint. At that time, I was young and had no clue about accounts or anything like that. When i used sprint phone I used my own credit card to automatically pay them.

A couple of years later I went to university and needed internet but sprint phone line weren't OK for dsl at that time in Montreal. SO, I called sprint to switch me back to bell. I was surprised, but it appeared that I obviously cannot modify my father's account. I had no choice and I ordered phone line from bell while sprint line was still active. Then sprint started to call me and send me collection letters. I called them many times asking to stop billing my visa but apparently, they refused to modify my father's account and kept stealing money from me. I even went to police station and said that sprint is frauding with my CC, they obviously suggested to cal them. I went to the bank and asked them to close my visa card because sprint was stealing money from me. Overall, they stole more than a year worth of subscription fees and after I was able to convince a manager there they finally removed my CC from their file but kept sending bills to me on my name (even though it was my father's account). Finally, after many MANY calls from collectors they stopped calling me, every time I was stupidly explaining them that sprint stole my money, now I know that collection agencies don't give a fuck about that... Anyways, they stopped harassing me. Around 5 years later I was doing fine and decided to buy a house. It was a 660K house on st-zotique street in montreal. I was a customer with ingdirect and I went to them for a mortgage quote. They approved me right away, conditionally that outstanding collection record in my credit file has to be resolved. I was like WTF?! I actually didn't know much what credit file and collection record was. So, I went to the bank, asked them WTF they researched and traced it to ROGERS! I was surprised, since I've never ever dealt with Rogers in my life. So, more research and it appears that rogers purchased sprint. Now, after educating myself about how all these collections work I figured out what was that about. By that time, the house was already gone.

Sooo, I went to CCT (or whatever that telecom complaint service) and wrote a letter claiming max amount from rogers (max is limited by $5000) and immediate clean up of credit file. Rogers called me and the guy on the phone was one of the most professional telemarketers that I've ever heard. I figured, he was on the elite team that handles cases like mine. Obviously, when they called they recorded entire call and they tried to explain how something like that could have happened they apologized 20 thousand times and when they asked questions they tried to make me say hings that I didn't do, basically they we asking maybe I somehow said that I was my father to switch to sprint in the first place etc etc.. Basically, it was the most elite scammer talking to me. They promised that the credit file will be resolved asap. I told them that they better harry up with that and pay me $5000 in damages. In a couple of days they house has already been sold, and when I came back to CCTS and asked about the status of my case... they replied that the telco reported that the case has been resolved!! WTF!! Real scammers, I'm actually thinking to contact lawyers and file real suite against them and not that 5K ccts complain, but I hardly have any damage that I can prove. To this day, i still didn't buy any house because I simply wasted like 3 month at that time for a search and didn't want to mess with it anymore. Everytime, when i drive by that place I remember these fucking scammers now.

Any suggestions, friends? If I made a downpayment and lost it because of that rogers collection record any court would rule in my favor (I was told by a lawyer), but I didn't make a contract before actually getting full mortgage approval, so I didn't lose any money.

Voila

@videotron.ca
Videotron replies in writing to the customer who had his account stolen (presented on the front page of DSLr):

There's Nothing We Can Do, Sorry But We Didn't Violate Law
»Videotron Responds to Man Locked Out of Own Account by Wife

So it just goes to show how easy it is getting out of your videotron bills.

Once you have a Videotron account, create a fictitious person to put on your account. When it comes time to pay a big BandWidth bill (or whatever) have your fictitious person steal your account and, voila! Case closed. It's per the law! So says Videotron themselves.

No diff

@videotron.ca
On the Gazette

Videotron trashed customer account, offers lame apology
»blogs.montrealgazette.com/2012/0···apology/

...this case highlights the fact that when you open an email account, you have no actual ownership of the contents of that account.

Funny, eh?