Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984

Re: [Rant] Sale tax on ebay

Your telling me.

If a company fails to collect sales tax we are supposed to pay it when we file state return in July.

insomniac84
join:2002-01-03
Schererville, IN

insomniac84

said by dcurrey:

Your telling me.

If a company fails to collect sales tax we are supposed to pay it when we file state return in July.

It was a used item, sales tax as already collected on the first sale. Also if the seller is taking out Ohio sales tax when the buyer is in texas, they are doing it wrong. Sales tax is to be collected in the buyer's state.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Sure - back to the original issue, the eBay thing sounds like a total scam. If I were the OP, I would have refused to pay it, and if that meant I lost out on the "bargain", so be it. If you deal with crooks then you encourage crookedness. Or, on a more selfish level, how can you trust someone who's crooked in one thing to only be crooked in that one thing?

(I don't quite understand how sales tax could be charged after payment had been agreed, but it sounds like the OP got told about the tax too late to not buy).

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

I won the auction which requires paypal payment.
Checking out in paypal and then there is a sales tax.

Yes the item is used, so the sales tax should have been paid originally when sold as new. It would not make sense to keep charging tax on the same item over and over again.
Also the seller is in Ohio and I am in Texas. Paypal put in texas sales tax at checkout I assume based on my shipping address.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

So is that Paypal screwing up or the vendor cheating you?

(I use neither Paypal nor eBay)

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to r81984

MVM

to r81984
Tell the seller that Paypal req'd sales tax on this purchase which is in error. Remind him that you might have to confirm with the state of TX that he submits the collected tax too (bluffing, of course).

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

In the checkout comments I explained that he should refund the sales tax as I am in texas and it was wrong to charge that to me.
I now have a tracking number saying it is shipped and I never got a response to the comment.
I will send an email to see if they will respond.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
quote:
Yes the item is used, so the sales tax should have been paid originally when sold as new. It would not make sense to keep charging tax on the same item over and over again.
Would you have had to pay sales tax if you had purchased the camera at a Pawn Shop in Texas, or would it be tax free since it was used?

The reason sellers are/are going to be collecting sales tax on internet purchases is because the purchasers are not self reporting their taxes owed to the States as they are supposed to. I did enjoy the tax free purchases previously, also realized that it would not last forever as the States were losing out on Revenues. The other reason is to try and help traditional Brick and Mortar stores stay in business which also has the side effect of keeping more people employed at the local level.

If you want blind support of your opposition to the tax you should have posted in the Red Room where Grover Norquist's followers reside. *shrugs*

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium Member
Katy, TX

r81984

Premium Member

I never heard of anyone that supported online sales tax until I posted here. Its just very odd that people support it.

BTW, very few sites charge sales tax online.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

Who said I "supported" it?

Your problem is that you seemingly can't distinguish between an argument about how things actually are (it's a state use tax, not an 'online' anything) and your own self-interest (don't want to pay the tax).

My position is that:

1. No, I don't like paying taxes either

2. It is entirely consistently with existing tax regulations that state use tax be levied on online purchases

And the reason why very few sites charge TX sales tax online is that those sites do not have physical presence in TX.

Dolgan
Premium Member
join:2005-10-01
Madison, WI

Dolgan to r81984

Premium Member

to r81984
Didn't say I supported it, showed I understand why we will see it on all internet purchases in the near future. There is a difference between understanding why something is occurring and either supporting, or being against, an issue.