sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Had to edit that once or twice to get it right, check above. GL
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

scottp99

Is this any better than the enterprise versions of disk encryption like Pointsec or Mcafee Endpoint Encryption?

And if I select AES, would that be sufficient enough?

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt to scottp99

to scottp99
said by scottp99:

Is this any better than the enterprise versions of disk encryption like Pointsec or Mcafee Endpoint Encryption?

Well that's a longer discussion. My own opinion is that the proprietary "enterprise grade" alternatives are less secure because they package backdoors for centralized, over-the-network administration. Glaring backdoors.
scottp99

scottp99

And if I select AES, would that be sufficient enough?

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Yes, use AES, because it's fastest.
scottp99

scottp99

A bit now confused. Sorry...

During the installation process, when should I issue the command line? During the install process, or after installing TC?

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

After installing it. Use the command line with the /noisocheck switch just to start the program this one time, to start the system encryption pass.
scottp99

scottp99

So, I should issue that command right after installation and even before a system reboot?

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

That should be fine. The installation by itself does not ordinarily require you to reboot. The system encryption procedure does, after it writes the boot loader.
scottp99

scottp99

Ok, I tried and it worked.

I wish I can use a Batch script file so I dont have to paste the whole command line. Is there anyway to do this?
Then I can store that Batch or Command file script in the TC directory.

Thx so much!!!!!

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Of course you could make a .bat file easily but there's no need for you to invoke it that way ever again after the system encryption is performed. This was just a one-time thing to work around your broken optical drive. From now on, start TrueCrypt normally. Actually, it will start automatically with Windows once you establish system encryption, so you can start it from its tray icon.
scottp99

scottp99

I have not actually encrypted it yet, this was just a test to test the command line thing.

Can you please post the command batch file please so I can just double click it and re-run it again this time doing the whole last steps?

Thanks.

sbconslt
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt

Just open notepad, put that one line in it, and save it as "whatever.bat". That's all it would need to contain. It is, however, a waste of effort for the one time you're going to have to type the line. By the time you make the batch file you've already typed it once. You're actually adding work.

Anon31416
@108.171.100.x

Anon31416 to scottp99

Anon

to scottp99
Create a shortcut for TrueCryptFormat.exe with the following for the target:

"C:\Program Files\TrueCrypt\TrueCrypt Format.exe" /n

Use that shortcut when you want to encrypt without creating a rescue iso. You'll still get the rescue iso dialogs, but just click through them.