uniqs

ultram
Premium Member
join:2002-12-25
Wildwood, FL

ultram

Premium Member

linksys E4200

For some reason I cannot gain access to the router, by using 192.168.1.1 it says it wants a name and password.
I reset the router 3 times it will not let me in. Was on phone with Linksys for 1 hour, and no help. Any one ever come across this problem before???
I need to get in to set it up.

Thanks for your help

steve1a
MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA

steve1a

MVM

If you haven't actually set the name and password I believe the access standard with linksys is that you would leave the name space blank and enter admin for the password.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

For the E4200 you may have to enter admin in both fields to get in. I'm trying to remember when I set mine up.

steve1a
MVM
join:2001-05-07
Berkeley, CA

steve1a

MVM

said by lordpuffer:

For the E4200 you may have to enter admin in both fields to get in. I'm trying to remember when I set mine up.

That may be corrrect I found additional information noting:

E4200 Default Password & Other Default Login Data

Default Username: admin

Default Password: admin

Default: IP: 192.168.1.1

Privileges: Administrator

Also note that the admin is case sensitive.

ultram
Premium Member
Wildwood, FL

ultram

Premium Member

Thanks tried all of that with Linksys customer service.
Any more idias??? like to know what it is set too??? It is out of warranty, might have to buy another, to be save.

THANKS

Kyawa
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

I'm assuming you are trying this just using two devices, your PC and the router. Reset the router one more time. Your PC should be connected to a numbered port. No other connections. After your PC boots up, run the command prompt to get the command line pop up box. Once you get this, type: IPCONFIG

Check to see what IP your PC is being and more importantly, the Gateway. Report back.

ultram
Premium Member
Wildwood, FL

ultram

Premium Member

Is this what you want??

IPv4 Address 192.168.1.126
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

1 edit

Kyawa

Premium Member

That's pretty much what it should be. Was it always 1.1? Did you try your old login?

Do you feel like sending it to me?
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03

Shady Bimmer to ultram

Premium Member

to ultram
How are you physically connected to the router? Wired or wireless? If wireless, have you ensured you are connecting to your router and not a nearby neighbor's instead?

When you reset your router, what type of reset did you perform? You need to press and hold the reset button for at least 10 seconds to reset to the factory defaults. Then, the username and password should both be 'admin'.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to ultram

Premium Member

to ultram
Two things. If you are on a PC, use IE or Firefox to connect to the E4200. If on a Mac, use Safari.

Also, in line with the comment above, if you are 'wired,' are you 100% sure you are wired correctly?

ultram
Premium Member
Wildwood, FL

ultram

Premium Member

Kyawa: Yes, did not work, Don't know how to send.
Shady Bimmer: I am physically wired. I reset the router for at least 10-20 seconds. I tried to get in typing admin.
lordpuffer: My computer is a PC. I am using Internet Explorer 9. Yes, I am wired. Yes, wired correctly. This is turning into a real witch hunt - thanks guys for all the input.

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

I meant literally send me the router and i'll mess with it.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to ultram

MVM

to ultram
said by ultram:

Any one ever come across this problem before?

Yes I have seen that.

step 1. make sure to clear your browser cache and include passwords in the clearing process
step 2. now restart [reboot] your computer
step 3. do a hard reset of the E4200 ... this means push in the reset button and hold that button in then remove the power connector with your other hand .... wait 10 seconds while still holding the rest button IN now plug the power connector back in and wait anoth 10 seonds before letting he rest button free.
step 4. now open your browser and try to login
step 5. when prompted to login, enter “admin” on the password field and leave the username blank
efrem
join:2002-04-03
Westport, CT

efrem

Has anybody suggested yet that you make sure the PC you are using to connect is not using a fixed IP address that is not on the 192.168.1.1 network? You might want to check your PC's network settings for "use DHCP".

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

said by efrem:

Has anybody suggested yet that you make sure the PC you are using to connect is not using a fixed IP address that is not on the 192.168.1.1 network? You might want to check your PC's network settings for "use DHCP".

Look above. Also, he's getting the login pop up.
efrem
join:2002-04-03
Westport, CT

efrem

Oops, sorry. Need more coffee.
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member

Shady Bimmer to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

step 5. when prompted to login, enter “admin” on the password field and leave the username blank

One the E4200 this will not work. Unlike older Linksys models you now need to use 'admin' for both the username and password as the default.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Shady Bimmer:

One the E4200 this will not work. Unlike older Linksys models you now need to use 'admin' for both the username and password as the default.

E4200

Kyawa
Premium Member
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

Actually V1 is no username and "admin" for password. V2 is "admin" for both. See page 26.

»homedownloads.cisco.com/ ··· _Web.pdf
Shady Bimmer
Premium Member

Shady Bimmer to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

E4200

Or E4200:
The default IP address is 192.168.1.1 and "admin" is the default username and password.

Kyawa See Profile would appear to have it right, and since the OP didn't note which version he has it might be easiest to just try both. I note that on older routers you could enter "admin" for the username or you could leave it blank. Entering the username as "admin" should work in both cases but it wouldn't hurt to try both options. If the username is optional it won't hurt, but if the username is required then there is only one choice.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by Shady Bimmer:

Or E4200:
The default IP address is 192.168.1.1 and "admin" is the default username and password.

E4200 v2 is VERY different than the E4200 v1.

I did not [and do not] recommend the E4200 v2 -- the Marvel Chipset used in the V2 is inferior to the Broadcomm Chipset set used in the E4200 v1.

Thanks for pointing out that in the E4200 V2 the way that login's are done has changed from the way done in the E4200 v1.

ultram
Premium Member
Wildwood, FL

ultram

Premium Member

Sorry for not posting sooner, had a Hospital run. The router works just fine the way it is, ill leaf the way it is til I feel better. thanks for every-ones input.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Hope your doing better now.

ultram
Premium Member
Wildwood, FL

ultram

Premium Member

Thank you Mike for your concern.
Linksys customer service RMA the router, they replaced it with a new one.

Thank you again,

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Glad to hear all is well. Surprised that there was an issue such as what you experienced as that's really rare in my experience.