Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

[Signals] How does my install look?

We just got hooked up and was wondering how does my line look?

I also can't seem to get any bandwidth meter page.
bernardc
join:2009-12-13
Berkeley, CA

bernardc

It looks perfect. Good job. With winter coming, you'll want to make sure your connections are wrench tight, not just finger tight the way many techs leave them. Finger tight is an invitation to corrosion, ingress, and loss of signal.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Our tech was nice . He charged us only $15 and almost had to replace our line to our house(He had to test it since it was cut for a couple of years by AT&T). He ran a whole new line from where the Comcast line comes through our basement into our office area. He also didn't install any bloatware on my system

JigglyWiggly
join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

JigglyWiggly

that's some low jitter
signals look nice
too bad only 1 upstream channel tho

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I had 1ms jitter with U-verse too.

Comparisons for latency:
U-verse:
East Coast:26
Mid West:48
West Coast: 98
Comcast:
East Coast:40ish
Mid West:44
West Coast:102

Now to figure out what modem I want to buy lol. I can't turn off the dang wireless on the gateway since it's right by me.

Also funny to note:

Our installer got an ice cream from the ice cream truck that came by :P. When I got back to my computer my U-verse email was opened at yahoo mail LOL.
Darknessfall

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I was thinking of getting the SBG6580. How is it as a gateway? I know gateways are hated around here but I wouldn't really be using the wireless function(I want it turned off) and just want wired to mainly one computer.

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

then why get one?!?!
bernardc
join:2009-12-13
Berkeley, CA

bernardc to Darknessfall

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I know gateways are hated around here

Darknessfall,
You'll need to just ignore the negativity and darkness. There's much to be gained from the positive, brighter voices.

I'd like to know why you think gateways are hated around here. And I'm not sure which is the functionality to which you're referring, since all ISP modems are gateways in the generic definition.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I was thinking of getting the SBG6580. How is it as a gateway? I know gateways are hated around here but I wouldn't really be using the wireless function(I want it turned off) and just want wired to mainly one computer.

Sounds like a plain modem would work fine with that setup, and be cheaper as well.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

1 recommendation

beachintech to bernardc

Premium Member

to bernardc
Because just about every AIO Modem/Router device from Comcast is a huge pile of crap for the end user and the techs who have to work with them. You are always better off with a modem and a separate router.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I need a gateway and not just a plain modem because I checked similar prices of 8x4 standalone modems and cheap N150 routers and that runs about 120-150. I really wanted the Motorola SB141 + a cheap router but the modem is pretty expensive on Amazon right now and while I hear good reviews of the Zoom modem I am looking for a company with a pretty long history. Plus, I really can't stand the Zoom's out dated design : /.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Bottom line is "you get what you pay for"... How do figure that the "Zoom's design" is outdated ? Are you referring to cosmetics ?
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I need a gateway and not just a plain modem because I checked similar prices of 8x4 standalone modems and cheap N150 routers and that runs about 120-150. I really wanted the Motorola SB141 + a cheap router but the modem is pretty expensive on Amazon right now and while I hear good reviews of the Zoom modem I am looking for a company with a pretty long history. Plus, I really can't stand the Zoom's out dated design : /.

I'm still not seeing your point. You said you would turn off the wireless functionality of the gateway, and you'd connect one PC, so why factor in the price of a wireless router?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Are you referring to cosmetics ?

- Yes

@nw96482

Yes, I would turn off wireless on it but I may need it if I want to do something really small on something without a wired connection. I also want a firewall .

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

Are you referring to cosmetics ?

- Yes

One should "never judge a book by its cover"...
Thordrune
Premium Member
Lakeport, CA

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

Yes, I would turn off wireless on it but I may need it if I want to do something really small on something without a wired connection. I also want a firewall .

Ah okay, now that makes sense. If you really want to get a gateway, go ahead, we can't stop you .

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I'm curious now that I have the SMC gateway. Why do people complain about the wireless on these things? I have been trying it out and I hadn't had any drops and got about the same ping and same speeds wired/wireless.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

I'm curious now that I have the SMC gateway. Why do people complain about the wireless on these things? I have been trying it out and I hadn't had any drops and got about the same ping and same speeds wired/wireless.

Take a look at the boatloads of posts at the Comcast Help Forums about this..