spc
uniqs
Graystoke
join:2006-03-24
Stockton, CA

Graystoke to Name Game

to Name Game

Re: BullGuard And Eicar.org

@NameGame........I had my BG set up just like your pictures show.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

2 edits

Name Game

Premium Member

thanks..the inportant one for eicar as I recall..is to have bullguard set to "enable spyware detection" on that advanced tab.

Mcafee had a real crazy way of using eicar..
»kc.mcafee.com/corporate/ ··· =KB54228
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

This »kc.mcafee.com/corporate/ ··· =KB52865 says you can just go to EICAR website just as you do with any AV and try to download eicar.com. (I read your link which is referring to McAfee corporate AV and wondered how an average home user would be expected to do all that just to test their McAfee that came on their new Dell). McAfee doesn't claim that Windows 7 64bit users can't test at EICAR website).

ALL AV agreed long ago to detect EICAR. If Bullguard doesn't then it is set up wrong. That is the purpose of the EICAR file...to let the user know if they have the AV configured incorrectly or their installation is corrupted.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Looks like end of life:

»www.misec.net/forum/boar ··· 22779282

1st Dec 2011

Today, we removed Trojan Simulator from our servers. Trojan Simulator was written many years ago as a tool to test the effectiveness of malware scanners against trojan-type window executbles against a harmless trojan simulator file.

The reason for the removal of Trojan Simulator is that lately site classification tools have been reporting trojanhunter.com as being "infected" by Trojan Simulator, even though it in itself is a harmless application. The reason for this is of course that most anti-virus and anti-malware scanners detect Trojan Simulator.

This can cause users to become unduly alarmed if their "site quality" reporting tool incorrectly flags trojanhunter.com as being "infected with malware" because of the presence of the Trojan Simulator zip file.

The Trojan Simulator section of the forum will be open for a little while more and then closed and removed.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game

Premium Member

I downloaded the file when I made that post..other did too cause they told me..looks like Magnus pulled it..you could always try the one andreas made »Trojan signature quality of certain AV products...

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

Still works too.

Gees there's some names there we miss.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Name Game

Premium Member

If you want trojansimulator by Magnus you can get it here

download it from the Softpedia Mirror (RO) [ZIP]

»www.softpedia.com/progDo ··· 347.html
Name Game

Name Game to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
Many peps at home use the enterprise..they get it 'comp' from their workplace.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I know that but what does that have to do with the issue? McAfee doesn't claim that the enterprise version can't use EICAR because it doesn't work on 64bit Windows. BTW, the enterprise version is far better than the commerical one. I used to beta test for McAfee enterprise and it was good...commerical, home user one was garbage and still is.
Mele20

Mele20 to norwegian

Premium Member

to norwegian
said by norwegian:

Still works too.

Gees there's some names there we miss.

Yeah, that thread was a trip down memory lane!

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
eicar will not even run on 64bit windows..if you can get it to run let me know.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Graystoke

to Graystoke
Perhaps you need to check the box, "Only scan files loaded for execution"?

Since your system cannot "load" .com files, Bullguard has not attempted to detect it.

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

It has been my experience when people start setting their AV to even scan when downloading rather than realtime scan if the thing then executes and ends up to be a badboy..that it slows down many machines and they get so many false postives no matter what the product...and they go bonkers..but that is just my opinion.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
said by Name Game:

eicar will not even run on 64bit windows..if you can get it to run let me know.

You persist in missing the point. It doesn't need to run! It is a TEST to see if your antivirus program works correctly. 99.9% of AV will detect it as it downloads so what it running have to do with the issue here?

Name Game
Premium Member
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

False Positives up the ying yang..got that.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Eh?