uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
reply to cog_biz_user

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

said by cog_biz_user:

i just want to ask, this doesn't include the outgoing smtp server does it? i sent some mail from my mail server, and it left my network, but i have no way of knowing it hit the destination until i get a reply from the other end...

smtp.cogeco.ca seems to work great for me.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
'A hardware issue impacting our email service was resolved on early morning Tuesday, August 28th.

Due to the number of affected users trying to retrieve their emails, some customers may experience user authentication or log in issues throughout the day.'

1. So why do I keep getting 'pop.cogeco.ca reports temporary unavailable'?

2. Why does the mail server respond with '+'? WTF does + mean?

So clearly it is NOT fixed.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Got this from the Cogeco Outage page:
We apologize for the continued problems you are experiencing with your email. The hardware issue impacting our email service was resolved and all backlogged emails have been delivered. Some customers are still experiencing authentication or log in issues.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Like how it says 'Some customers' it should say every customer.

Looks like Cogeco had the same problem as now but back in 2008.

Here is an interesting read which I found from Google.
Another Cogeco Email problem thread over at Digital Home

Really, 2008 till now? Cogeco just through out all of the servers and get all brand new ones. I'm sure they have the money (from jacking up everyone's cable bill all the time)

Blinkins

@cgocable.net
Get this - they're now telling the media the same thing as what's on their outage page - 'that all is restored although a few might have login issues.' Giving the general populace the impression that all is back to normal when it certainly isn't. I'm still getting errs and a test msg I sent 30 min ago still hasn't come in.

»www.insidehalton.com/news/articl ··· h-e-mail

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
HOLY CRAP! I think the stupid server is FINALLY fixed.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
I keep hitting F5 for send/receive and no errors. Won't hold my breath though because it might go down again. You know it has only been a few days, not like we been with out for an week or more. haaahaa

robman50

Beamsville, ON
I take it back. It's still broken.

brian5

@cgocable.net
reply to Blinkins
said by Blinkins :

They just put more info on Facebook page - we're still only receiving msgs for 1 account though:

»www.facebook.com/Cogeco

So that's where I have to find out about it..... the CIA database

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to robman50
said by robman50:

1. So why do I keep getting 'pop.cogeco.ca reports temporary unavailable'?

It's possible the issue is related to the volume of connecting people. Friends were able to obtain some emails today and it seems to have been sporadically accessible throughout the day.
Expand your moderator at work

Hamilton1

join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Dingaan

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

Cogeco's Facebook page is a joke. If you post something there they don't like it gets deleted. At one point there were over 130 posts in a thread and when I checked an hour later the thread count dropped to 79.

Not a nice way to treat their customers and they should automatically be refunding customers for the outage, instead of having them phone in and beg for a rebate.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
It is still taking up to an hour to get new emails. Before it was within 2 minutes after the other person hits send.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
Hey the mail man just put mail in my mail box. Maybe its a Cogeco 'sympathy' bill. lol

CerveloJohn

join:2012-08-29
canada
reply to Dingaan
Oh No....Email has worked all day and now asking for password again...

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
it's working great for me so far.
*knocks on wood*

CerveloJohn

join:2012-08-29
canada
reply to Dingaan
Working again??? hopefully for good

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
reply to robman50
We have had about 24hrs of normal email service. Hopefully that is the end of the current problems.

Hopefully Cogeco will now review what went wrong and take actions to prevent a re-occurrence.
- Back-up servers that automatically kick in? Don't they have those? - More competition that would encourage Cogeco to perform better?

Whatever they do to improve domestic service, could be money better spent than trying the lame efforts trying to enter European and US markets.

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Dingaan
Just got an email apologizing for the disruption in service.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
you did?? thats not like cogeco to do that.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
" Dear valued Cogeco Internet Customer,

We sincerely apologize for the email technical issues we encountered this week which impacted a number of our customers. We understand this may have been quite an inconvenience for you. We did everything we could to effectively recover services in the shortest time frame possible. We thank you for your patience and appreciate your business. If you have any questions please let us know by emailing us at Customer.Service@cogeco.com. Please include your phone number, name and address.

Thank you.
Louise St-Pierre,
Senior Vice President, Residential Services "

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Wow. I wonder why I never got that email. It must be a very LONG list of outgoing mail. Surprised the SMTP server isn't backlogged from all of those messages from Cogeco. LOL

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Dingaan
Here we go again. Getting errors on several accounts.

dad_of_3

join:2004-05-31
SE Ontario
Reported Outages for Cornwall

Some customers reported experiencing difficulties logging on to their email account this morning. In order to mitigate this situation, we suggest changing your password through My Account.

You will find in the following link a walkthrough to modify your password via My Account: »bit.ly/Q1pacQ.

Thank you for your comprehension.

diskdocx

join:2005-09-26
Burlington, ON
Someone doesn't comprehend the term comprehension. Wonder if irony would be equally lost on them?

Out in Burlington again today as well. It's ok though, I have decided to start emailing them my payments. That might encourage them to attend more promptly to this matter.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
WTF!?!?!? Well here we go again. Email server responded with +?? I thought that was fixed??

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Internet
Reported since: 2012-09-06 08:58:24
Please be advised that currently we experiencing issues with our email service. During this time you may be unable to login to our Webmail, or receive errors when attempting to connect through a Third Party Email program. Thank you for your patience.

Blinkins

@cgocable.net
reply to dad_of_3
I've actually been checking the page since the first outage, and that message has been appearing everyday this week in Oakville. Today, our email is getting errors again when trying to receive (so far, it hasn't asked for password verficaiton etc).

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

2 edits
reply to peterboro
Same here in Kingston.

Maybe Cogeco need to buy a new rubber band?

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
said by Dingaan:

Same here in Kingston.

Maybe Cogeco need to buy a new rubber band?

Or gerbils to power their servers or duct tape to repair them.

Blinkins

@cgocable.net
reply to robman50
Apologies if someone posts this before mine hits thread but they just put this on Facebook:

We are experiencing issues with our email service and are working with our vendor to resolve them. We would like to inform you that you will not lose any email.

We have temporarily disabled webmail access to the email service. If you are an Outlook user, you may experience slowness but should continue to be able to access email.

I apologize for the inconvenience and will provide an update to this issue at approximately 1PM.
-Tristan Cogeco