Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cablesmurfet

join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON
reply to Lydia

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

Mine's working now. Yesterday it was down on Outlook, webmail, but Thunderbird worked. Now Outlook is working and I have received all the back e-mails.

Filmmaker

join:2009-04-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to Dingaan

10:30am Sept 7th and central Hamilton is still offline, no joy. Both Outlook and Webmail report username/password authentication errors.

robman50

join:2010-12-14
reply to exseven

said by exseven:

try adding @cogeco.ca to you username... as others have suggested in the thread.

That was just a try for me and it worked. I wonder why all of a sudden we now have to add @cogeco.ca? I wonder if it's part of the newer (or fixed) login system? The newer login way is the same as logging in to Hotmail now. Oh well what ever works.

Filmmaker

join:2009-04-25
Hamilton, ON
reply to Dingaan

Well, I spoke too soon. Outlook worked after adding @cogeco.ca to my user name as suggested, so I went ahead and reset my Blackberry accounts accordingly as well. Now 10 minutes later it doesn't work again. Have been a Cogeco customer for 20 years but this bloody fiasco has me rethinking the whole thing. Cogeco needs to realize that when they began adding internet, email, and telecommunications to their list of services on top of cable TV, they ceased to be an entertainment company and became an essential services common carrier where the minimum acceptable level of performance is perfection. Though no one can ever be 100% failure free, that must be the goal. In order to provide that level of reliability there must be redundancies behind redundancies behind redundancies so that when the inevitable failure does occur, a backup system is in place to immediately take over the load, with another backup behind that one just in case.

robman50

reply to Dingaan

Service is temporary unavailable. But it was working so good today. WHY did this happen?

FrankB

@cgocable.net

My email is not working. Same issue as everyone else's. I am getting desperate. If anyone has any suggestions I would truly appreciate it. Everything that everyone has suggested thus far has not worked for me. Same authentication error. Thanks.

WarningU2
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

call cogeco

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to exseven

said by exseven:

Incorrect, we are in the process of moving platforms but the new platform/the move did not cause the issue

So, Cogeco is in the midst of a major email platform change, everything goes haywire and all hell breaks loose, and you want people to believe that the first major outage has no technical explanation, this second one is being remedied by working with your vendor, but none of this whole basket of shenanigans has anything to do with the platform change. That's what you're saying?

The platform migration is EXACTLY what caused these ONGOING outages. Cogeco fucked it up.

Jeez.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Make The Switch - »openmedia.ca/switch

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
reply to FrankB

said by FrankB :

If anyone has any suggestions I would truly appreciate it.

»mail.google.com/

Mike
Expand your moderator at work

robman50

reply to Dingaan

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

Just checked the Cogeco outages page, and they are still having problems?? OMG!!!!!

This is just STUPID!
»cogeco.ca/web/on/en/residential/···ages.php

robman50

reply to FrankB

I use Hotmail and I used to use Yahoo Mail. There is also GMail.

robman50

reply to robman50

But it is working great for me though.

N0_Nam3

join:2002-06-14
Leamington, ON

i think i forgot my password a while ago and didn't bother to fix it. gmail works so much better and i don't lose it if i change isps

Blinkins

@cgocable.net
reply to Lydia

Not Again!!!

I just booted up and had a week's worth of emails re-download - this is exactly how the first outage issue started for us. I just checked the Facebook page and others are starting to report similar things happening. Crazy

robman50

What do you expect it is Friday and every Friday it stops working.

newsusy

@cgocable.net

This morning 345 emails arrived in my husband's email account from as far back as June 7th!! His account was set-up under mine (add email account), and mine has been fine. What gives??

robman50

Maybe the 'Leave messages on Server' option was checked in your email program? That happens to me a lot and I uselessly end up with triples. LOL

GRRRR

@cgocable.net
reply to Dingaan

It's been almost a week that I noticed that I am not getting emails overnight... it seems everynight from somewhere anywhere betweeen 5 pm - 9 pm, until the morning around 7:00 am or so, that I get NO emails...it's impossible that I get no emails overnight. Typically I get between 8 - 20 emails everynight...or at least I did until they had the big outtage. I have people across the globe that email and I fear there is something still wrong with their server. I have called Cogeco at least 4 times on this matter. They don't seem to care !! Anyone else having these issues? I would love to be able to tell them it's not just me

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

I would strongly urge you to get your email communications the hell off Cogeco as fast as possible. Using an ISP's email is unwise at the best of times.

There are real reasons why it isn't recommended.

You're seeing them now, and the end result. Shit service, and I'm being kind.

IMHO, Gmail is your best bet. Make the switch. You'll be happy you did in the long run.

Mike
--
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

GRRRR

@cgocable.net

I had a gmail account once and all of a suddent they cancelled my account because I was trying to set up an account for someone else while I was logged in. I attempted to contact them to reinstate...NO REPLY.
Don't think Gmail is reliable either
I have people who have my cogeco email for years and years and some people only contact me every few years, not to mention that people are referred to me, so swtiching email addresses all the times is NOT something I want to do often
Still looking to see if anyone else has noticed that they are not receiving all the emails they should be.
It happened again yesterday...twice !!

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2

said by GRRRR :

I had a gmail account once and all of a suddent they cancelled my account because I was trying to set up an account for someone else while I was logged in. I attempted to contact them to reinstate...NO REPLY.
I have people who have my cogeco email for years and years and some people only contact me every few years, not to mention that people are referred to me, so swtiching email addresses all the times is NOT something I want to do often
Still looking to see if anyone else has noticed that they are not receiving all the emails they should be.

The point being, using the ISP's email is stupid. Find something external. If you are stingy and cheap use free email. If reliability really matters, pay specifically for email from a third party.

Having email with your ISP makes switching a lot more difficult, because you can't take your email address with you. I ran into this just trying to switch from a residential Cogeco account to a business one (that's right, even within the same company its not portable).

You had a bad experience with Gmail so I don't blame your hesitation. But yours seems like the exception and not the rule -- I've setup several businesses now using Gmail and Google apps, and I never had anything bad happen (yes I use my personal acct to start setup). The uptime I had with them has been a lot better than I had with Cogeco's email. And when I wanted to leave for another ISP, my email wasn't held hostage. I can come or go as I please and not have to worry about an acquaintance from 10 years ago not being able to reach my email.

The point still stands. What's free out there (Gmail, Hotmail etc) gives more storage space than most ISP's email, better reliability, more options (email forwarding that actually WORKS) and allows you to freely change ISP's without losing contact with people. If you need more reliability, then pay for it -- you aren't getting more with an ISP's email.

robman50

Here is some detailed information about all the other webmail providers. Hope this helps.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison···roviders

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to GRRRR

said by GRRRR :

That's funny. GMail is reliable as all get up. What you were doing was breaking the acceptable use policy and you got caught. That doesn't make them unreliable. It simply makes you unwelcome.

Good luck with Cogeco email. Do let us know how that works out for you.

Mike
--
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

Based on the fact they've been so reliable that the recent downtime caused pandemonium, I'm guessing it will work out well if they've resolved whatever their issue is.

Some people simply prefer working with their email on their PC, rather than via web, and Gmail's pop server's aren't as reliable as you advertise their web service to be.

Me, I bought my own domain name, for my last name, back in the 90's and that's worked out great for me going on about 20 years now.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
Scarborough, ON

Yes, that's an ideal setup.

What I dig most about GMail is it costs me nothing and it's always there, regardless.

Mike

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

Based on the fact they've been so reliable that the recent downtime caused pandemonium, I'm guessing it will work out well if they've resolved whatever their issue is.

Some people simply prefer working with their email on their PC, rather than via web, and Gmail's pop server's aren't as reliable as you advertise their web service to be.

Me, I bought my own domain name, for my last name, back in the 90's and that's worked out great for me going on about 20 years now.

Gmail's POP server is certainly a lot more reliable than Cogeco email, by a mile. And its portable, unlike Cogeco email (change ISP's, no problem).

Email on PC vs Email on Web: This is a poor comparison, seeing as they're both able to be used on the web, as well as from a regular PC.

Oh hey, how about email forwarding? You know, they type that doesn't require you to be logged in.

But you're correct, the best thing to do is get your own domain. Which you can also do with Google. I would think that Cogeco does this as well; at least their business side should be handling this.

rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
reply to urbanriot

i use gmail pop server with Thunderbird and i never had a problem at all it works for me all the time ..and it has encryption so i can use it on my laptop on public wifi and not have to worry about someone steeling my login info.

robman50

reply to Dingaan

my mom says she has been getting doubles of all incoming messages in the last few days. is it the fault of cogeco or windows live mail? i have seen others that said the same thing in the past.

digiwth

join:2012-09-21
Burlington, ON

I am also getting double-emails appearing as of late.

I've already had my google account suspended once for "suspicious" activity when it duplicated over a thousands emails this summer, time to disable the import all together, lest I be cut off again due to Cogeco's errors.