uniqs
share rss forum feed

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
reply to WarningU2

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

said by WarningU2:

Looks like it is happening again. Reports of authentication popups starting yesterday ... continuing into today.

Like I said before, this is the new normal weekend routine. LOL

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
reply to dillyhammer
When it works, Cogeco email is a lot better than others like Gmail that I have tried.

Besides our only internet provider here is Cogeco. Not much use using Gmail to access Cogeco's servers.

If we went to Gmail/Hotmail etc for everything, that would mean all new email addresses.

By the way, once in distant past, when things got bad, contacting Mr. Audet (or at least his office) got some VERY prompt results!

WarningU2
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON
reply to robman50
How do you contact Mr. Audet ?

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Dingaan
said by Dingaan:

When it works, Cogeco email is a lot better than others like Gmail that I have tried.

Besides our only internet provider here is Cogeco. Not much use using Gmail to access Cogeco's servers.

If we went to Gmail/Hotmail etc for everything, that would mean all new email addresses.

By the way, once in distant past, when things got bad, contacting Mr. Audet (or at least his office) got some VERY prompt results!

Yup. Good luck.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

thingfish

join:2012-09-14
St Catharines, ON
kudos:1
reply to peterweb
Yeah, last night I received over 2000 e-mails from the past 14 months.

I had purged all kinds of old e-mails a month or two ago. Now I get to do it all over again. I think I'll wait a little while to make sure this isn't going to happen again.

Thanks Cogeco!

nightwulf

@cgocable.ca
reply to Dingaan

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to thingfish
said by thingfish:

I had purged all kinds of old e-mails a month or two ago. Now I get to do it all over again. I think I'll wait a little while to make sure this isn't going to happen again.

Thanks Cogeco!

Watch them send someone a bunch of old emails, and that puts someone over their cap. Then what?

Profit for cogeco...

Dingaan

Bath, ON
reply to nightwulf
Webmail??

Kidding? That doesn't work either when everything else goes down.

Another subject:
A friend who works in Ottawa for a nation wide organization called me this morning, because they knew I was on Cogeco.

This organization uses email many times a day to maintain contact with partners and individuals all over Canada. However, the emails they were sending to Cogeco subscribers were not getting through.

They had no idea why and wanted to use me for a test.

I advised them there was no need for a test! COGECO was the problem!

Dingaan

Bath, ON
reply to WarningU2
One way is to go to Sedar and find a senior VP who you could ask to relay your message to Audet. Or try the Corporate website and choose another senior person to ask.
»www.cogeco.ca/cable/corporate/cc ··· nvestors
or better still:
»www.hoovers.com/company/COGECO_I ··· i-1.html

I am sure they have had an earful from those who have been hurt by the poor service. But for those who are shareholders, there is also concern, and putting some pressure on management is justified.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
Thank you.

I have also sent email to the major newspapers but without result. No one seems to care this time around despite attracting attention the last outage.

What is more disturbing to me, in that researching Cogeco I found news about their investments overseas and in the US.

I believe they are f$%#$d and what we are seeing now is a symptom of a much worse issue, and unfortunately the result will eventually end in Cogeco no longer existing. This only contributes more to a monopoly by either Bell or Rogers.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
So lower the costs of keeping the system stable, and increase our bills to try not to loose money and make some?

Less expenses and more income?

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
Huh? I'm not advocating Cogeco stays in business.

Dingaan

Bath, ON

1 edit
reply to WarningU2
said by WarningU2:

Thank you.

I have also sent email to the major newspapers but without result. No one seems to care this time around despite attracting attention the last outage.

Not much, but they did publish something:

»www.thewhig.com/ur/story/510203

and this

»bayobserver.ca/cogeco-ignoring-c ··· r-pleas/

twinkletoes

@cgocable.net
reply to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

said by thingfish:

Thanks Cogeco!

Watch them send someone a bunch of old emails, and that puts someone over their cap. Then what?

Profit for cogeco...

Why do they still have emails you already deleted? Or do I misunderstand?

thingfish

join:2012-09-14
St Catharines, ON
They were still in my deleted items folder, so they weren't deleted from the server.

Dingaan

Bath, ON
reply to Dingaan
So is everything working properly now?

Seems I am not getting many emails. Not even spam

But it may just be a quiet time.

If problems are fixed, hopefully someone at Cogeco will take action to install hardware that will ensure email outages cannot happen.

anonnnn

@cgocable.net
reply to thingfish
I experienced the exact same thing. On my firebird client, I had quadruplets of every email on the server. On my iPhone I had duplicates.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON

1 edit
My father received several 100 emails from months ago today and now has no internet connection. Unable to connect to the default gateway. Unfortunately I think what we are seeing is the slow demise of a once great company.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
reply to Dingaan
And with every email resend your bandwidth counters are slowly creeping upwards....

GRRRR

@cgocable.net
reply to dillyhammer
So you asked me to keep you posted.,...so here I go. Cogeco email still having issues...lots of people still telling me they are sending me emails, which I am NOT receiving.
I have 3 email accounts..2 worked, the one I REALLY need to work, doesn't.

Again, based on what I do with my email, I was advised not to use Gmail. I send a lot of mass type emails and if about 4 out of 20 bounce, or 10 out of 50 bounce, Gmail would suspect I am sending spam and AGAIN, I would be blocked from Gmail!! I can't take the chances of setting up yet another email address. I have had to not only contact clients, family & friends, but lots of other places that email invoices are sent to me and so much more....very time consuming and not something I want to have to do again for a very long time. I did however, set up my own domain and

I am relieved that it all seems to be working well. Did HostHero for $3.95 per month, less 15%. Canadian Servers, Customer Service in TORONTO...not overseas. 24 / 7 customer support. I too only got a credit of $5 for all the inconvenience.
I agree, we all should be going to our local papers and putting it out there about Cogeco. I have called them several times...at least 10 times and have even spoken to the supervisors, who are USELESS. They make it sound like I am the ONLY person with a problem with the email.

When I sent an email to everyone about my new email address....low and behold there are others that are also still having issues and one that still has NOT be able to access her email since the end of August. She has done all the fixes that they told her to do and still nothing!!! If it weren't for the fact that we need Cable internet, I would have dropped them big time !!

RedMageX

join:2011-10-06
Oakville, ON
Cogeco Customer Service/Tech Support is based out of Burlington. I pass by the Cogeco offices all the time on the QEW

GRRRRR

@cgocable.net
My reference to TORONTO was Host Hero, not Cogeco.
My reference was that with companies like Vonage, you KNOW you are speaking to overseas, not CANADA.
I like to have my customer service for the services I pay for in the country I pay my taxes...I call it Job Creation / Retention.

Also, noticed again the cogeco email prompting for passwords this afternoon...I guess they haven't fixed all their problems.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
Yes Grrrr you are not alone... popups for password started for me yesterday and email synching to cogeco is really slow. Symptoms of their weekend problem starting again? Hope not for everyone that relies on Cogeco.

Personally I don't anymore. There are companies that provide email addresses relatively inexpensively:

»www.networksolutions.com/email-a ··· cdf:+Y9U

Note: if you are mass mailing there are many companies that offer services for that too and manage the bounces and unsubscribes.

Dingaan

Bath, ON
said by WarningU2:

Yes Grrrr you are not alone... popups for password started for me yesterday and email synching to cogeco is really slow. Symptoms of their weekend problem starting again? Hope not for everyone that relies on Cogeco.

I have a new problem with email.

Yesterday I sent an email to two friends who are both on Cogeco and we all live in Kingston .

This morning I received bounce messages from Cogeco for both (Delivery Status Notification: Failure) :

quote:
The following message to was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) [HotMail_Bounce] 452-'Postmaster Code 2 - Recipients per hour exceed allowed limit. To contact Cogeco Cable, please visit »postmaster.cogeco.net.\n\nLimite de destinataires par heure atteinte. Pour contacter Cogeco Cable, veuillez visiter le site suivant : »postmaster.cogeco.net.'
Questions:
- 1 day message is too old?
- I sent about 3 or 4 messages yesterday
- Recipients per hour exceeded allowed limit??
- HotMail_Bounce - where does Hotmail come into a Cogeco-Cogeco email?

On top of that, links in message didn't appear to work.

Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

OK - It looks like more Cogeco Email problems

quote:
Reported since:2012-10-05 21:09:50
We are currently experiencing a delay of emails being delivered in to Cogeco email users, possibly in excess of 30 minutes. Technicians are investigating, and we hope to resolve this issue as soon as possible.

WarningU2
Premium
Burlington, ON
Yep. Looks like it is happening again. My guess it's a implementation that they keep getting wrong or causes further problems as it seems to happen every weekend. I just wish Cogeco would be straight with us on what is happening and not make out that it's an individual problem.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
omg thats way to funny. mark it on your calenders for every weekend that the email will run in to problems. lol

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Dingaan
Seriously?

Dingaan, weren't you the one that said Cogeco email was so much better than GMail and the others?

Had you migrated your email off Cogeco and onto one of those, you know, lesser services, you wouldn't be having these problems. In fact, you'd be like millions of other users: not having any email problems at all.

Move your email off Cogeco and start worrying about other things like obscene taxes and global warming.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
Status update: It's not working again!!!!

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Odd.. this time it affected my neighbors who have TekSavvy. Their email was down and went back on again at the same time mine was down and came back. Could that happen if something went bad in my town or if i server one step up above each ISP's went down?
This one I don't understand.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
I see the 'Connecting to smtp.cogeco.ca ...' message seems to be taking it's time before it switches to 'Delivering message ...' and even just to send out a small not even a sentence takes the same time to send as sending out an attachment. Whats up with that?