join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON

Dingaan to peterboro

to peterboro

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

said by peterboro:

said by robman50:

uh oh. it's doing it again. holy slow!!

It has come to a crawl this morning. Turned my computer on 7 minutes ago and the email thingy still hasn't finished the little pop up box and says my POP3 is timed out.

Same problem here in Kingston. Very slow and had it request log in on one account. Never finished scanning mail accounts.

Blinkins
@cgocable.net

Blinkins

Anon

Here in Oakville too - all morning getting those same old POP errors - you gotta laugh though, because when the email comes in there is a message from Cogeco announcing their new and improved webmail service is coming
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Dingaan

to Dingaan
It's over an hour now and one account will still not connect and the others are crawling.

This is like what the third time now this year we have had this exact same issue for customers.
got_milk2
join:2007-08-22
Georgetown, ON

got_milk2

Year? You're being far too kind. Try past couple of months.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to Dingaan

Premium Member

to Dingaan
Not sure if this is related but I found this email in my inbox this morning:
quote:
We’re upgrading our webmail platform to improve usability and suit you and your business better. These upgrades will take effect in the upcoming weeks.

This email provides information you need to know about important changes to the Cogeco webmail platform. We suggest you keep it for reference.

Some of the upgrades you can expect:
• Modern user interface

• Enhanced contact address book

• New Spam management capabilities

• New mail options

• Enhanced Email filters

• Advanced search tool

robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50 to Dingaan

to Dingaan
Email is broken again.

'If you are having issues logging into our webmail service or using a third party email program (pop), please be advised we are currently investigating a system wide issue, and hope to have it resolved as soon as possible. '

No wonder why this mornings download seems way to quiet. lol
cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet

My e-mail seems to be fine. I'm in the Burloak system.
Dingaan
Bath, ON

Dingaan

said by cablesmurfet:

My e-mail seems to be fine. I'm in the Burloak system.

Mine is working OK again now (Noon). Always bad in morning when everyone is checking mail. But the system should be designed to handle that.
robman50

robman50

still not working 100%. say if I email my self it won't get back to be until an hour later.
robman50

robman50 to Dingaan

to Dingaan
I just went through this whole topic and wrote down all the dates that I complained about the email service.
It happened at the end of August for 4 days, 3 days in September, 4 days in October, and so far 2 times in November.
Wow that is just sad for a big company.
Email is working great so far.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Still screwed up here on two addresses.
robman50

robman50 to urbanriot

to urbanriot
I find the original webmail does suck and it needs an upgrade real bad. I for one am looking forward to this upgrade, not that I ever use it.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to Dingaan
Well here we are at 11pm and I still get the same message all day:

Unable to send or receive messages for the XXXXX account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.
Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

Unable to send or receive messages for the XXXXX account. A time-out occurred while communicating with the server.
Server: 'pop.cogeco.ca'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC19
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot

Premium Member

Heyy maybe they killed pop.cogeco.ca, without telling anyone, and switched to mail.cogeco.ca?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I've got 6 email addresses and they all use pop.cogeco.ca and only two won't accept mail.
peterboro

to Dingaan
Now this morning 3 out of 6 won't download new messages.

sofawall
@cgocable.net

sofawall to peterboro

Anon

to peterboro
I know that Cogeco was running into an issue with their latest version of CSS not allowing POP connections. Other than that, there is a fairly large email migration going on right now and has been going on since August (that was the first big email outage, the one that lasted for 2 straight days). The work being done on the new webmail service is likely causing the issues with the current one, and the POP problems are anyone's guess.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Not to pile on, but migrating email since August? An entire datacenter could have been brought up in less time. There must be more to the ongoing issues than the migration or it's being unbelievably poorly managed.
robman50

robman50

I think Cogeco will not last long and maybe go under in the future because there services are starting to suck and their prices are way to high also lots of people are dropping them.

Looked at the calendar and the email goes down on an average of 3 times per month and it usually happens on a Thursday. I wonder if Thursday is maintenance day?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to Dingaan
End of day two and still no resolution for this problem.
hey_moose
join:2012-11-13

hey_moose

If you are using the free Cogeco Security Services (their licensed flavour of F-Secure) it is apparently filtering email incorrectly and that is why you are getting the 0x800CCC19 return code from your POP server. I have contacted the support line about this several times and have been told a couple of times to uninstall Cogeco Security Services and reinstall it and "see if that helps". It is a time-waster.
Their main response is to use Cogeco Webmail at this time.
I am exceedingly unhappy with the level of service that Cogeco is giving on this particular problem. Perhaps they should hire a third-party to help them out of their email-hell and give their paying customers a better level of service. I cannot imagine why they cannot simply "dial-back" how aggressively F-Secure is filtering. It has been a couple of weeks now.
Very frustrating.

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
join:2005-08-17
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa

said by hey_moose:

If you are using the free Cogeco Security Services (their licensed flavour of F-Secure) it is apparently filtering email incorrectly and that is why you are getting the 0x800CCC19 return code from your POP server.

If you installed the new security suite (Cogeco Security Services) you can resolve the mail problem with these hotfixes (use the one appropriate to your OS (32-bit or 64-bit)

For Ontario users:
www.cogeco.ca/hotfix32
www.cogeco.ca/hotfix64

For Quebec users:
www.cogeco.ca/correctif32
www.cogeco.ca/correctif64

Follow the easy procedures on the web page.

Edit: this is for the 0x800CCC19 error only
robman50

robman50

I believe that Cogeco Security Services is really F-Secure. Right?
Just that Cogeco swapped the logo to their own?

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa

It is indeed powered by F-Secure.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to hey_moose

to hey_moose
said by hey_moose:

If you are using the free Cogeco Security Services (their licensed flavour of F-Secure) it is apparently filtering email incorrectly and that is why you are getting the 0x800CCC19 return code from your POP server. I have contacted the support line about this several times and have been told a couple of times to uninstall Cogeco Security Services and reinstall it and "see if that helps". It is a time-waster.
Their main response is to use Cogeco Webmail at this time.
I am exceedingly unhappy with the level of service that Cogeco is giving on this particular problem. Perhaps they should hire a third-party to help them out of their email-hell and give their paying customers a better level of service. I cannot imagine why they cannot simply "dial-back" how aggressively F-Secure is filtering. It has been a couple of weeks now.
Very frustrating.

Some email showed up this morning and I no longer get error codes this afternoon.

As the biggest computer noob in DSLR history I don't have a clue how to load patches and figure out if I have a 32 or 64 bit processor.

I just mindlessly click on the F-secure boxes to put in a newer version.
hey_moose
join:2012-11-13

hey_moose to Cogeco_Asa

to Cogeco_Asa
Thanks Asawulf. That fixed it!

Just curious, when was the hotfix made available as it was Saturday 10-Nov when I last called Cogeco Support and they had no idea of a fix ETA.

Thanks again.

Cogeco_Asa
Ignorance is bliss
Trois-Rivieres, QC

Cogeco_Asa

Glad that fixed it!

The fix was made available very late friday so it could have happened that not everyone was made aware of the availability of the fix till monday thru official notes.
Dingaan
Bath, ON

Dingaan

Having problems with emails again today. Stalling out on one address, asking for password etc. Just like before. Been going on all morning.

Blinkins
@cgocable.net

Blinkins to robman50

Anon

to robman50
I think you're onto something robman50 - it is now Thursday the 16th and we're having the same ol' issues - Pop errors on 3 of 4 accounts.
robman50

robman50

OMG this is way to funny. I don't understand though why the email is working great for me. 3 accounts are working great so that's 3 out of a million users?