Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hamilton1

join:2007-10-28
Hamilton, ON
reply to Dingaan

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

My email is working but I only had One email when I usually have anywhere from 15 to 20 per day, so I would imagine that the rest got bounced.

jpaik

join:2002-01-09
Hamilton, ON
Hopefully mail is queued, not being bounced back.
--
minimum waste, maximum joy

ancasterguy

@cgocable.net
reply to Hamilton1
18.08 - Still getting the pop up window asking for my email, still able to send emails, but not able to receive!!!!, wonder how long this will go on for, it is a worry, hopefully all the emails sent will still be there, and downloaded once Cogeco get's things working... if they do.

bwt

@cgocable.net
reply to jpaik
I called and, after 25 minute wait, was given no update info on when e-mail problem will be resolved. Was told ,after insisting, I will be credited 4 days of internet service time on next bill. Ensure you call and ask for credit because they will not provide credit unless demanded. If e-mail not restored tonight I will likely be cancelling service completely.

Terrible

@cgocable.net
I have digital tv and Internet. If I don't get my email back soon, say goodbye Cogeco!

bgrosso

@cgocable.net
reply to Dingaan
Sorry - my last post posted in the wrong area. First time on this forum. I am glad that I found it, though. I was just mentioning how frustrating this all is.

BG49

@cgocable.net
reply to Dingaan
Why is Cogeco saying the outage was from 8:00 a.m. this morning. Mines been out for the same length of time as yours. Frustrating.

robman50

join:2010-12-14
Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
I am now noticing problems with my phones. WTF?
Seems like Cogeco has there hands full today.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
Internet seems wonky to today. Sites seem to load a lot more slowly also. Phone is acting like a bad connection. I REALLY HOPE the TV works.

robman50

Beamsville, ON
reply to Dingaan
Well guys no email until tomorrow morning.
Looks like the next update will be around 9am.

For all updates on the email problem check out the Cogeco Facebook page.

»www.facebook.com/Cogeco

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
reply to Dingaan
Well I guess we will just have to wait.

My email "appears" to work in that I am no longer getting error messages. I am on Win7 and WLM. But maybe I am not getting all my emails? Did get a few today.

But my wife on same home network is using Vista and Windows mail. When she tries to log on to her email, she gets asked for her username and password in a never ending loop.

WarningU2
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON
removed

I am so frustrated with the service I am receiving from Cogeco I cannot put anything to print right now.

i LOLd

@videotron.ca
Cogeco email outage leaves thousands in Ontario frustrated
»www.thestar.com/news/gta/article···ustrated

“You can’t get through because everyone’s calling. When you do it says today there’s no service. Everybody knows that!”

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to Dingaan
said by Dingaan:

My email "appears" to work in that I am no longer getting error messages. I am on Win7 and WLM. But maybe I am not getting all my emails? Did get a few today.

Like Marcer said some will work and some on different servers won't.

2 out of my 5 haven't worked since yesterday morning.

lockejcole

join:2010-06-11
Hamilton, ON
reply to Dingaan
I am honestly quite surprised by how much of a deal this is, I thought by now that most of the power users online would have strayed away from the isp-provided email services in light of some of the more feature-friendly mailboxes like gmail, etc. With all the whining and people saying they always want to leave Cogeco, why would you tie down your contact information at the ISP level? I'm not surprised by the 'everyday' customer, but I considered a lot of the folks who hang around here to be more uh, out there with their service options I guess. The webmail portal cogeco does provide is kind of meh, so I keep my contact information tied to a domain name I own, and am in charge of my own email options. The only thing my cogeco box does is collect spam from cogeco about their promotions.

Hopefully they get it fixed soon for the majority of you, saw this news over on thespec.com and thought I'd come read the boards... good luck!

( »www.thespec.com/news/local/artic···-service )

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by lockejcole:

I am honestly quite surprised by how much of a deal this is, I thought by now that most of the power users online would have strayed away from the isp-provided email services in light of some of the more feature-friendly mailboxes like gmail, etc.

I have accounts with numerous others like gmail, yahoo and the like but as I have been with Cogeco since they started here I have some legacy accounts.

Also when dealing with customers, buying stuff on Kijiji, potential employers or the government even an ISP based account lends legitimacy.

For example I delete most of the emails flakes send me when I am selling on Kijiji if they are not from an ISP account and they have the slightest deviation from normal protocol.
Expand your moderator at work

Terrible

@cgocable.net
reply to peterboro

Re: [Eastern Ontario] Email malfunctioning

Yes agree 100% with the legitancy comment! I send correspondant emails to reputable firms and would never think of using a cheesy webmail in sending.
FTR MY EMAIL WORKED FINE AT 5:00 AM this morning, but it's now back to error in username and/or password.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
reply to lockejcole
said by lockejcole:

I am honestly quite surprised by how much of a deal this is, I thought by now that most of the power users online would have strayed away from the isp-provided email services in light of some of the more feature-friendly mailboxes like gmail, etc. With all the whining and people saying they always want to leave Cogeco, why would you tie down your contact information at the ISP level? I'm not surprised by the 'everyday' customer, but I considered a lot of the folks who hang around here to be more uh, out there with their service options I guess. The webmail portal cogeco does provide is kind of meh, so I keep my contact information tied to a domain name I own, and am in charge of my own email options. The only thing my cogeco box does is collect spam from cogeco about their promotions.

Hopefully they get it fixed soon for the majority of you, saw this news over on thespec.com and thought I'd come read the boards... good luck!

( »www.thespec.com/news/local/artic···-service )

You've got to be kidding! Even for someone in damage control mode, that is fairly ridiculous!

Yeah - why not jump for joy that a service - that is already burdened with caps, slow speeds, and excessive overage charges - is further diminished by one of the basic premises of internet access - email - has been taken away and no reason given.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
reply to i LOLd
The news of this outage hit CP24 this morning.

Nasty business.

Mike

konfoozed

join:2012-08-28
Perth, ON

1 edit
reply to Dingaan
Issue seems to have been resolved. All accounts accessible (via telnet and email client), for first time since Sunday afternoon.

Finner

@cgocable.net
reply to SteveE
Hey SteveE: I got the same email sent to my BB acct. saying my acct needed validating. When I type in my password it says that my password is invalid. Have you been able to get service on your BB yet? If so, what did you do? Its frustrating to say the least.

Blinkins

@cgocable.net
reply to robman50
I just went on the Cogeco site this morning, having got some emails through but only on one of our accounts. They are now saying there is 'NO outage in Ontario' - yeah, right.

Karebear
Back
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Oakville, ON
reply to konfoozed
Sorry still getting Error 503 Service Unavailable message, so I guess all is not resolved!

mrphysics

@cgocable.net
reply to Blinkins
Sorry - still out.

I was able to login to webmail and send - but it is not receiving.

Webmail reports Error 503 service unavailable.

I82much

@cgocable.net
reply to robman50
Dead Link on Facebook

Waiting

@cgocable.net
reply to Dingaan
I've been having problems with my cogeco both sending and receiving since Friday, August 24, 2012 mid-afternoon. The incorrect password (MS Outlook) or cannot connect to server (Android phone) started appearing and still appears on one or more of my cogeco mail accounts. Can't believe they haven't been able to rectify the problem even as of this morning.

I have been generally very happy with my cogeco internet and email over the past 10 or more years but have never had anything worse than a few hours of internet outage from a severed hard line in the neighbourhood. This is not typical from my experiences to date.

SteveE

@blink.ca
reply to I82much
Hey Finner nope I'm still getting the same message on my Blackberry. My one email account came across overnight but the other one is still giving me the same error message on my BB. On a side note, the day before my email issues I received about 650 email messages that had been stored on the Cogeco server (all old and dated emails). I got 2 "dumps" of these old emails over the day...That was kind of strange

bgrosso

@cgocable.net
reply to Dingaan
Still not working as of 9:10 Tuesday morning. This is extremely frustrating. My iphone tells me that the password is incorrect and my computers give me a number of errors when I log in. I am hoping that Cogeco will do a refund of some kind when this is all through. Never in a million years did I think it would take this long.

Dingaan

join:2002-02-19
Bath, ON
reply to Waiting
Some improvement in that some accounts connected and some emails came through. But it is hit or miss - still will get say 3 of 5 accounts giving error messages as all accounts are synced. Sometimes can get one of those with an error to sync if I sync it by itself.

It would be good if someone from Cogeco could explain this. This is as bad as the BB outage that occurred a while back. Surely there should be backup systems that avoid this type of fiasco?

BTW - I am retired and most emails are not that important or time sensitive. But when I was working, this email crash would have been a disaster for me. Feel for those using Cogeco for business.