dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

GeekInfoNow
join:2012-07-25

GeekInfoNow

Re: OMGfast.... Looking for review

I just tried some battlefield 3 on the 360.... If your wife comes in and says "wow" I dont need to explain anymore about the gaming. Here is a link for the ping test

Here is speed test

»speedtest.net/result/214 ··· 9406.png

Im unhooking now and going back to comcast until they send someone out monday....BTW a little storm is coming our way monday
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

I'd consider the speed and ping quite good for a wireless connection. It is the 7% packet loss that would be the biggest concern to me as it will make any time sensitive application suck.

GeekInfoNow

GeekInfoNow

Not when they say I am supposed to get "up to" 50mb down constant. When i use my nas for downloads i get 2.8 to 3.2 per sec with comcast . When i tried OMG for my "test run" i was hitting 1.4 and under. I would also be using them for gaming as well and that was no good either. Choppy.... Looked like i was skipping. I have their stuff unplugged at the moment until monday.
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

said by GeekInfoNow:

Not when they say I am supposed to get "up to" 50mb down constant.

I've never used this specific service and know next to nothing about it, but the keywords are "up to". Your speed test of 20 megs is still great for a wireless connection. I don't think that the raw speed is your problem, and I'd also suggest setting your expectations for a consistent speed WELL under 50 megs. If that is the best case scenario with nobody else using the service, your average speed will probably be much lower. 10 to 20 megs might be a more realistic expectation, which is still plenty fast for gaming.
said by GeekInfoNow:

When i tried OMG for my "test run" i was hitting 1.4 and under.

By "1.4" I'm assuming you mean "megabytes" per second, right? 1.4 megabytes per second is roughly the same as 11 megabits per second.
said by GeekInfoNow:

I would also be using them for gaming as well and that was no good either. Choppy.... Looked like i was skipping.

Like I mentioned, I don't think the speed has anything to do with the issues of gaming. Your pingtest showed a 7% packet loss, which is really bad even though your result showed a pretty good actual ping time. A better test would be to keep a ping running while trying to do something and see if the latency goes way up or if you get timeouts while putting traffic on your connection.

And if they don't give you any minimum guaranteed speed in writing, I wouldn't hold my breath that they will deliver anywhere close to the maximum "up to" speed.

GeekInfoNow

GeekInfoNow

Well I guess the guy could have sold me a car then(up to 50mb down). I get constant 2.8 to 3.2 down with comcast. In order for me to switch to them(OMG) they will have to do better than that. I will see what this tech guy says about the packet loss tomorrow. Like I said before he thinks my modem is bad. We will see. I did have to clone my MAC address to use my e3000 so I hope he doesnt come here with "If you use our router your speed would be better".