Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to antdude

Re: Best Linksys wireless router suggestions for a big house?

I got the results with an old 15" MacBook Pro and a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router (both were from late 2008).

Kitchen's tables next to windows = 2-4 bars

Downstair/Lower Elevation Family/Living Room:
Couches and table = 1-2 bars ; laggy when ssh to an outside server; a few packet losses to router.
Behind the bar counter = 0 to 2 bars

Room Near Kitchen and Garage = 3-4 bars

Garage = 4 bars

All other rooms look good/high.

So it looks like they will need a network cable/repeater/something to the downstair area. However, the folks did not want network cables so it would have to be wireless to bridge or power cables (getting crowded on the oulets with strips already!).

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
This Range Extender should work:

»homestore.cisco.com/en-us/adapte···prod.htm

I used this range extender before for something and it seemed to work well. All you need to do it plug it in towards the center of the home. No wires.
--
Obama in 2012 - There's No Tea Left In The Bag.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by lordpuffer:

I used this range extender before for something and it seemed to work well. All you need to do it plug it in towards the center of the home. No wires.

How does that work? Connect from a router and point to the middle of the house? I have never used one of those extender bridges before.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

said by antdude:

said by lordpuffer:

How does that work? Connect from a router and point to the middle of the house? I have never used one of those extender bridges before.

Basically that is correct. You would use your WRT54GL as your Router, and then you would plug the Range Extender into a wall socket in the center of the house.

You would configure both products to communicate with each other so that the Extender will amplify the WRT54GL signal.

When I got the Range Extender, I believe that I called Linksys support, for I needed a little help setting it up. But it was pretty easy.

One thing to remember is that although it is an N device, the Range Extender only amplifies the 2.4GHz band. But that won't be an issue if you use the WRT54GL. It would be an issue if you moved up to a dual-band router.
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by lordpuffer:

said by antdude:

said by lordpuffer:

Basically that is correct. You would use your WRT54GL as your Router, and then you would plug the Range Extender into a wall socket in the center of the house.

You would configure both products to communicate with each other so that the Extender will amplify the WRT54GL signal.

When I got the Range Extender, I believe that I called Linksys support, for I needed a little help setting it up. But it was pretty easy.

One thing to remember is that although it is an N device, the Range Extender only amplifies the 2.4GHz band. But that won't be an issue if you use the WRT54GL. It would be an issue if you moved up to a dual-band router.

What is a dual-band router? Is that G and N together? What would I do if I got one in the future (e.g., WRT54GL dies).

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to antdude
A range extender will do a nice job to EXTEND your range however it will also cut your speed/bandwidth by 50% or more ..... so that means that if you have multiple people and devices actively using your wireless network and due to the fact that most [not all] wireless networks are shared medium each active used will get very poor performance --- so if performance is not an issue because you will not have multiple users or devices active then extenders work. FYI multiple users would include people and devices like printers, ipads, iphones anything thst uses your wireless infrastructure.

The new wireless AC technology like the Netgear R6300 utilizes Multi-user MIMO so each user who is AC compliant and actively using the wireless network will have maximum speed/bandwidth allocated to them MUCH like a switch works in a Ethernet wired network.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by mozerd:

A range extender will do a nice job to EXTEND your range however it will also cut your speed/bandwidth by 50% or more ..... so that means that if you have multiple people and devices actively using your wireless network and due to the fact that most [not all] wireless networks are shared medium each active used will get very poor performance --- so if performance is not an issue because you will not have multiple users or devices active then extenders work. FYI multiple users would include people and devices like printers, ipads, iphones anything thst uses your wireless infrastructure.

The new wireless AC technology like the Netgear R6300 utilizes Multi-user MIMO so each user who is AC compliant and actively using the wireless network will have maximum speed/bandwidth allocated to them MUCH like a switch works in a Ethernet wired network.

Wow, speed degradations when using the extender? So no HD streaming videos, fast local copies, on the wireless? It will be like slow 10mb/sec wireless? I assume wired connections will be OK. I think at most, it will be just one or two wireless connections.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

What is a dual-band router? Is that G and N together? What would I do if I got one in the future (e.g., WRT54GL dies).

A dual-band router utilizes both the 2.4GHz AND the 5GHz spectrums.

Many devices are now have 5GHz wireless adapters. If you end up getting a dual-band router, then you can use an access point as described above.

As mozerd stated, the Range Extender may not be good for multiple devices that are being used at the same time, so if speed is a major issue, it may not be the way to go.
--

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

So no HD streaming videos, fast local copies, on the wireless? It will be like slow 10mb/sec wireless? I assume wired connections will be OK. I think at most, it will be just one or two wireless connections.

Your wired connections will not suffer. For eacth active wireless user and/or device your speed/bandwidth will be FURTHER cut by 25% or more depending on the activity.
So the extender cuts 50% THEN each active user cuts what left by an additional 25% or more.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by mozerd:

said by antdude:

So no HD streaming videos, fast local copies, on the wireless? It will be like slow 10mb/sec wireless? I assume wired connections will be OK. I think at most, it will be just one or two wireless connections.

Your wired connections will not suffer. For eacth active wireless user and/or device your speed/bandwidth will be FURTHER cut by 25% or more depending on the activity.
So the extender cuts 50% THEN each active user cuts what left by an additional 25% or more.

General usages are: Surfing the web, e-mailing through webmail, watching streaming videos, one online gamer, downloaders, etc.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by antdude:

Wait, is this for ALL wireless to this extender only or including the router's wireless?

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

General usages are: Surfing the web, e-mailing through webmail, watching streaming videos, one online gamer, downloaders, etc.

With the extender in place --- YOUR WIRELESS -- ALL your wireless --- streaming videos will have significant lags, gamer will hate it and if you have VoIP call quality will be very poor.

Surfing, webmail will be slow but OK --- downloading will be slow.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD
reply to antdude
Not to be a jerk, but I think you should sub this piece out. It doesn't sound like networking is your expertise? Please take no offense.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mozerd
said by mozerd:

said by antdude:

With the extender in place --- YOUR WIRELESS -- ALL your wirless --- streaming videos will have significant lags, gamer will hate it and if you have VoIP call quality will be very poor.

Surfing, webmail will be slow but OK --- downloading will be slow.

Thanks. So basically, it is like the current speeds without any extenders in the house's weak areas.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Kyawa
said by Kyawa:

Not to be a jerk, but I think you should sub this piece out. It doesn't sound like networking is your expertise? Please take no offense.

Yeah, networking isn't my strong area (have basic understandings). I didn't know it would be this complex.

So there are no wireless routers that can extend farther than a Linksys WRT54GL then.

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD
You can try a "N" router. Just remember, they greater the distance, the lower the speed.

Why are they against running a cable for another access point? This pretty much guarantees success.

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
said by Kyawa:

You can try a "N" router. Just remember, they greater the distance, the lower the speed.

Why are they against running a cable for another access point? This pretty much guarantees success.

With N router, how much better/worse is the farther distance compared to a Linksys WRT54GL router?

Because the old people don't want to wire/cable more inside the house's walls and stuff. They really hate them.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

You can take a look at these for "N" routers:

»reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

However, you still may need another access point, whether wired or wireless to cover the whole house with the speed they need.
--