All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

CharterTech
join:2012-08-06

CharterTech to cork1958

to cork1958

Re: [HSI] Wireless Gateway Modems are Back

I agree it was poor planning, however Charter decided to go about it all wrong. The only reason we did away with them in the first place was tons of complaints from our 100mbps customers stating they were not getting 100mbps wirelessly.

Most laptops and other devices only have 100mbps wireless cards factor in overhead and you will not see all 100. Charter instructed us not to tell customers you need to hard wire your devices to see those high speeds. So they just took the combo units out. That way we now are instructed to blame it on your wireless router.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by CharterTech:

Most laptops and other devices only have 100mbps wireless cards factor in overhead and you will not see all 100. Charter instructed us not to tell customers you need to hard wire your devices to see those high speeds. So they just took the combo units out. That way we now are instructed to blame it on your wireless router.

This is not true at all. My laptop has had wireless N since i bought it, and its over 3 years old now. Its able to do around 300mbps wirelessly over LAN transfers. The problem lies in the fact that the charter gateway combo units were using wireless G/b, which is very not capable of doing 100mbps wirelessly. IF you want me to post a wireless speedtest.net test from my laptop showing it getting the full 100mbps wirelessly via my own wireless N router, i can. In this case, I blame the combo modems because they are using old tech. Most laptops now have N in them by default.