spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AlFrugal

@verizon.net

VZ increased push to migrate DSL users to FIOS

I have had Verizon 1 Mbps/384 kbps DSL for five years. My service has been excellent. I've only made one service call, over two years ago.

On August 24 I received a letter from Verizon. It stated:

"Continued performance testing of the facilities in your area indicates that you may be experiencing intermittent speed or connection issues with your High Speed Internet service and we want to apologize if you have been inconvenienced."

"Network reliability and your experience as a Verizon customer are important, and that's why Verizon needs to transition your service to the most advanced technology available - fiber optics. There is absolutely no charge to make this transition and we will design a special pricing plan for you with comparable or better rates."

Earlier this year there were news reports that for DSL customers who had made multiple service calls, Verizon was offering a low-price (for the first year) 3 Mbps FIOS plan. It looks like now Verizon is expanding the pool of DSL customers being made a similar offer.

gpal

join:2010-02-19
I didn't get that letter (not yet) but I am getting a lot of calls. Did they offer a price in the letter?

Right now I have verizon for phone/DSL and CV for cable and considering to bundle the cable with verizon. I used verizon's online tool and got a quote of $74.99/mo for a two year contract. I clicked on the "see price detail" link and found out $74.99 was for month 1, $84.99 for month 2-12, and $109.99 for month 3-24. Bummer. I still would be paying less, but a little misleading.

AlFrugal

@verizon.net
reply to AlFrugal
The letter did not state any details (speeds or prices) about the plan. The letter instructs me to call a toll-free number "to schedule an appointment".

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI
reply to AlFrugal
Regardless of trouble verizon wants to dump copper left and right to please share holders and pump up stocks. When they are good and ready you will get an offer for a 3 meg tier (actually 5 down) with a nice starting rate which they will try to sneak up in future years one way or the other.

luster

join:2009-03-28
Salisbury, MD
reply to AlFrugal
There is a hitch to all of this FIOS hype.., it's only offered where they can pass a multitude of households per mile. So, VZ is NEVER going to be able to completely dissolve themselves from the copper world without some strategy like, let it corrode away and forgo any service at all over the copper network. And, the shame of it all is that the FCC will more then likely to allow it. Personally, I feel that ALL ISPs and backbone carriers should be EXTREMELY heavily regulated and overseen by "man in the street" type watchdog groups.

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
kudos:1
said by luster:

...let it corrode away and forgo any service at all over the copper network.

If that happens to me, my only other choice would be cable. But then again, they're practically in bed together!

blaisep

join:2012-07-15
Los Gatos, CA
Be glad you have the option(s).
In my neighborhood Verizon is shutting down DSL and not offering FiOS.
No PLANS to offer FiOS.
The cable companies won't invest here because it's Verizon territory and people get TV via satellite.
For the hell of it I filed a complaint with the FCC and wrote my congressional rep....

So y'all count your blessings.
-Blaise

MikeRivers

join:2005-09-13
Falls Church, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to AlFrugal
said by AlFrugal :

"Network reliability and your experience as a Verizon customer are important, and that's why Verizon needs to transition your service to the most advanced technology available - fiber optics. There is absolutely no charge to make this transition and we will design a special pricing plan for you with comparable or better rates."

I have the cheap nominal 1 mbps DSL service. It worked just fine for the first several years then recently it went to pot. Through July and August of this year, I was down more than I was up. Calls to Tech Support nearly daily. They sent me replacement modems, kept telling me that they had made this and that adjustment, had switched me to a different port, to a different server, and the problems continued. Finally they seem to have stabilized my connection though still, occasionally, I'll find the PPPoE connection down (DSL is up, nearly always) and I have to reboot the modem in order to get on line again.

Each time I call, I'm reminded that they're transitioning my neighborhood over to fiber and they'd like to switch me over. Every "deal" has been for about twice what I'm paying now, and only for 1 year (I assume the price goes up after that).

I told them that if they'd like save money on service calls, they could switch me over at the same rate I'm paying now, and the answer is "Oh, no, we can't do that."

So I'm waiting for my letter.

CindyQinn

@verizon.net
reply to AlFrugal
I got the same letter. I have 784 kbps DSL and flat rate phone service for about $43. When I called the number, I got offer for same amount for flat rate phone + fios 3/1 Mbps for $49. I placed the order and it indicated the fios 3/1 Mbps is $59.99 with $40 promotional credit for as long as I am in the same address and do not change the service. Not sure if this is a good deal.