macallah
join:2003-01-22
Wichita Falls, TX

1 edit

macallah to HELLFIRE

to HELLFIRE

Re: What to get for the house

said by HELLFIRE:

3745 is long in tooth but still quite beefy for 100Mbit internet not requireing GigE interfaces. What's making you
look at new equipment macallah, if you don't mind me asking?

Regards

A few things. The 3745 is very noisy with all its cooling fans running at full speed 24/7. I have it down in a basement closet, but still it is annoying when down in the basement. Second it does not run a modern IOS and I like to tinker with it. I use 800 series routers in my businesses, so I am more familiar with ZBF. Third it only has 100mbit connections if the cable system gets an upgrade eventually, it will be a problem.

I do most of my configuring with CCP, but then hand put in some custom stuff. CCP has made a lot of progress and now it can just about do everything that I need. CCP of course rejects the 3745.

The ISR G2s seem to be drifting down in price. Are G3s about to come out?

Also further reading in the 5505 thread, I realized that the ports on a 5505 are only 100mbit. While it covers the cable modem now, what if the provider goes up in speed in the future? A 5510 with secplus license is over 2k.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

said by macallah:

The 3745 is very noisy with all its cooling fans running at full speed 24/7.

Agreed with you there macallah, though IIRC when I was looking into a 3745 I did come across a webpage where a
person replaced the fans with quiet / lowflow fans with no impact to performance or temp alarms, and got a MUCH
quieter device overall.
said by macallah:

it does not run a modern IOS and I like to tinker with it

Define 'modern'. IIRC Cisco did bring it up to the last revisions of the 12.4T IOS, and there's not much in
15.x that 12.4T can't do in my view.
said by macallah:

Third it only has 100mbit connections if the cable system gets an upgrade eventually

said by macallah:

what if the provider goes up in speed in the future? A 5510 with secplus license is over 2k.

Agree with you there. Don't know when consumer GigE connectivity will be available, but I want to be prepared for it,
and Cisco products seem to lag on it -- ASA5550 if that -- or are bloody expensive to do it -- ASR 1K w/ ESP2.5.

On the Juniper side, the SRX220 is VERY tempting at 8x GigE interfaces and 950Mbps (claimed) thruput.

Not sure what else in the enterprise arena people have come across that has GigE interfaces and Gig thruput with services on.

Regards
mbruno
join:2003-07-03
Salisbury, MD

mbruno to macallah

to macallah
macallah:

I use a 1941 ISR at home with my Comcast connection, it is more than likely over kill for home use. It has a gig connection for the outside and inside interfaces so I know I would never have a problem for connection speed. I think I paid something like 700 to 800 for it with the base license. I wanted the ASA5510 because of the 1 gig interface connection but the price plus the security license is expensive just for a home appliance.

The ASA5550 is as you stated is a 10/100 connection and I just can't see putting this in front of my router. Besides I would just be cutting my teeth on the ASA model.

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

I have an SRX 210 for sale/trade if your interested.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid

srx210 can handle 100mbps very easily if not activating IPS...
aryoba
MVM
join:2002-08-22

aryoba to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

On the Juniper side, the SRX220 is VERY tempting at 8x GigE interfaces and 950Mbps (claimed) thruput.

I recently asked for quote between SRX 210, 220, and 240. The price difference between 220 and 240 are not much, however 240 is much more powerful. I would not recommend anyone to use 220 model since people should jump to 240 when 210 model is insufficient unless Juniper can lower the price

Da Geek Kid

Da Geek Kid

I guess you have not listened to either of those products...
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to aryoba

MVM

to aryoba
@aryoba
From the two or three sources I checked, the delta between a 220 and a 240 was about 1K... so up to the buyer's wallet / purchase order.

I also have to question about Juniper -- and indeed any vendor's -- claim that a device can move more than 100Mbps
traffic with only FE interfaces. I'm not sure what they're smoking or what math they're using...

Regards

Da Geek Kid

Da Geek Kid

that's simple really, Think trunks/port-channels... Also, since most Junos is virtualized, you could be talking about multiple firewalls pushing across multiple trunks.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE

MVM

Sounds more like a marketing number than actual throughput number to me...

Regards

Da Geek Kid

Da Geek Kid

it comes pretty close to around 500mbps+ which far more what an asa5505 could do...