Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

Re: Through-the-glass antennas

said by fifty nine:

Glass mount antennas are a bad idea in general. Today's car glass has defroster wires and antennas in it which will mess up your signal.

Bite the bullet and drill the hole.

I'll drive around with my HT or no radio at all before I drill a hole. That isn't going to happen. Period.

I've found a mount that will probably work. But I need to measure the clearance between the car and the garage door. Otherwise, I may be putting the antenna on the lip of the hood if I go through with this project.

Ruled out the glass antenna.

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell

Probably the best in the long run. Good luck with finding a solution. The Diamond/Comet lip mounts are really nice with the thin coax for the rubber seal portion...

Let us know what you end with....

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to ke4pym

to ke4pym
said by ke4pym:

I've found a mount that will probably work. But I need to measure the clearance between the car and the garage door. Otherwise, I may be putting the antenna on the lip of the hood if I go through with this project.

Certainly much better than a through glass antenna. They're doing all sorts of stuff with the glass these days.

Ender3rd
join:2001-07-15
Connecticut
·Frontier FiberOp..

Ender3rd to ke4pym

to ke4pym
Click for full size
NMO Mount
I have used a Larsen 220 MHz through-glass antenna for the past 12 years and it works fairly well. However, it does not compare favorably to a 1/4 wave antenna installed in my NMO mount, so that should tell you something.

Have you considered an NMO mount installed under the lip of the Outback's rear hatch? I did that with a 2002 Subaru Outback and it worked great. I now use the same mount on my Jeep with excellent results on 6M, 2M, and 440 MHz. To establish a good RF ground I did drill one small hole under the hatch overlap but nothing is visible on the exterior of the vehicle. It works much better than my through-the-glass mount and I can still drive into the garage without any contact between the antenna and the garage door.

Whatever you decide, good luck with the new installation!