spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to whsbuss

to whsbuss

Re: Has anyone upgraded their interest and purchased router?

said by whsbuss:

Yes your results make my point. If your PC and NAS are GigE, connecting them to your actiontec Rev E will limit LAN speed to 100MB.

You're confusing megabits and megabytes. There's 8 bits to a byte, so 1 gigbit is 1000/8= 125 megabytes per second in each direction. If I had my computer and NAS connected directly to the actiontec, they would be limited to 12.5 megabytes per second transfers, which they far exceed.
davidplatt
join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA

1 edit

davidplatt to whsbuss

to whsbuss
said by whsbuss:

Yes your results make my point. If your PC and NAS are GigE, connecting them to your actiontec Rev E will limit LAN speed to 100MB.

You are completely wrong. WAN speed will be limited to 100Mb (not MB, MB=MegaBYTES, Mb=MegaBits) if the router has a 100Mb WAN port. With FiOS Quantum, the router has a 1Gb WAN port to accomodate the higher than 100Mb speeds.

The LAN speed will be limited by the speed of the ports on the router/switch. If the router has GigE ports for the LAN side of the router, then the speed will be limited to 1 gigabit per second (Gb, not GB) between devices on the LAN.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by davidplatt:

You are completely wrong. WLAN speed will be limited to 100Mb (not MB, MB=MegaBYTES, Mb=MegaBits) if the router has a 100Mb WLAN port. With FiOS Quantum, the router has a 1Gb WLAN port to accomodate the higher than 100Mb speeds.

The LAN speed will be limited by the speed of the ports on the router/switch. If the router has GigE ports for the LAN side of the router, then the speed will be limited to 1 gigabit per second (Gb, not GB) between devices on the LAN.

change WLAN to WAN and everything that you said is correct, WLAN is usually means wireless lan
davidplatt
join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA

davidplatt

I have changed it to WAN from WLAN.

I don't understand how anyone would actually think that device to device communications on the LAN side of a router would be controlled by the speed of the WAN port. They are two separate circuits.

And I just love people referrring to their 30MB connection instead of 30Mb connection. The case of the letters in this case matters!!!

I wish I could get a Triple Play for $137 a month with 30MB/30MB internet considering it has 30Mb/30Mb internet. I'd take an 8 times boost in speed for the same price.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9 to lijacobs

to lijacobs
said by lijacobs:

said by Acct101:

Note: I do not download, I just want faster page access. Like it used to be when broadband first came out. thanks

Upgrading to a higher speed tier won't affect how fast web pages load. I've found that the biggest reason that web pages load slowly is the load place by antivirus software.

I don't think you'll notice any difference browsing if you're on the 35 Mbps tier, unless you're already maxing it out with large downloads or a bunch of people using it simultaneously-- or if you do a lot of torrents.

At home I have both a 10/1 connection from Road Runner, and a FIOS connection that hits 26/31. At $DAYJOB in a datacenter environment, I have the luxury of browsing via a multiple Gig-E's blend. I don't notice ANY difference browsing on Gig-E versus FIOS 25 Mbps, and barely notice the difference between FIOS and 10/1 Road Runner. To reiterate, this is for general browsing, YouTube, Netflix, remote desktop (Windows terminal server), etc.

Large downloads from MSDN and such-- big difference in some cases, if the server is well connected. But that's a small percentage of what I do online.