Jmpenguin
Premium
join:2004-01-16
Labelle, FL
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..

Isaac Reports

Hayward in the keys how are you doing?
Note Mary and I are not in LaBelle this weekend we are in Niagara Falls ON CA. We have a friend house/dog sitting. Can check outside security cameras remotely .
We are flying back Monday 10:30AM flight is still scheduled on time according to Allegiant Air
--
Comcast HSI or AirCard either Sprint or ATT WINXP-Pro, LAN Firefox Thunderbird Gmail

Sentinel
Premium
join:2001-02-07
Florida
kudos:1

Looks like it is going further and further west as they update the track. If so then the keys might be all of FL that gets any of it. Look out LA (again)

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

1 edit
reply to jmpenguin

Safe flight home...you aren't missing much

»Tropical Storm Isaac

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to jmpenguin

Those of you in New Orleans and area, thinking about you guys! Nobody take any risks now!

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

3 edits
reply to jmpenguin

said by jmpenguin:

Hayward in the keys how are you doing?

We were very lucky, Isaac temporarily broke up some as it passed over us. Pretty minimal wind damage, and really very little rain (less than 2"), so very little flooding, just very near the ssouth shore at high tide Sunday evening, when the storm was prettty much done.

Guess the lady in the hurricane Grotto at the Catholic Church built in 1922 did her job again.

»www.keywestcatholicparish.org/Grotto.html

Even a lot of non Catholics go light candles there before storms.

Watch what happens about 15 sec into this loop...
»www.nasa.gov/multimedia/videogal···51211041

Just falls apart over us only to instantly regather past us.
--

timcuth
Braves Fan
Premium
join:2000-09-18
Pelham, AL
reply to jmpenguin

What I am hearing is that it won't be an extremely violent storm, but it is moving slowly and will dump tons of rain as it passes through.

Tim

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

1 edit

80mph is still quite a bit more than a bracing breeze. And that will be for 15-30hours the way its moving. Went thru that with crawling local tornado spawnng Georges its not fun.
--

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to jmpenguin

Okay I've been off playing (when I had a chance) in the weather forum and haven't checked here. Hayward glad things weren't too rough down there. Up here in the North end we just received another 1.1" of rain courtesy of Issac. The whole area where he is now can use the rain badly. Lets just hope it doesn't come too fast and all runs off.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

The way he has pretty much stalled, not sure anywhere needs up to projected 25" of rain.

Not only did he amazingly good stall (energy and kept moving) over KW we had a total of a whopping 1.75" and some TS wind occasional gust to 60mph supposedly the sustained winds... again rather amazing how it so just took a time out over KW.

Most (WHO DON'T PAY ATENTION TO WEATHER) saw as just another silly false alarm... things could have easily been much worse but for that accident of timing.

We REALLY LUCKED OUT... even upper Key and So FL got far worse... but what do you expect when you live in a drained swamp/glades (W of 95) before it was built never existed. Why it was built were it was... on the outskirts... nothing there.

We had pretty much zero power outage... but after Georges Keys energy replaced the most of the tooth pick transformer laden poles with steel reinforced concrete poles.

So FL still toothpick land 10's of thousands without power...I saw a 1 sec glitch, and there were a few very localized quickly corrected outages.

And Keys Energy actively trims trees... up there no either.
--

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL

For the rainfall we'll have to see if he gets moving today. As of now overland most of the rain is around 3" or less. In NO itself that can be a problem since it's just a big bowl and depends on pumps for removal.
From people I know over in that area 25" of rain would be nice, but they would like it spread out over a month or two. If Issac gets back in gear, I doubt there will be anything over 10" in that area.

Hayward
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium
Key West, FL

4 edits

Already stalled storms are not known to get moving...

just hang over that coastal warm water absent of steering winds.

Again something KW is almost immune to (yes I know politically told to hate Cuba but storm saves KW but for situations like this) Georges (almost identical track) went on for 18 hours... but other than FL bay high tide backwash post storm... thanks to Flagler land fills betwwen Keys little way to wash back out to sea for that massive back wash from FL Bay once Wilma hit mainland and the vacuum stopped...very post storm we were unexpected back washed flooded... Key West sees very little surge effects normally.... just sloshes around us.... but hits northern gulf coast nothing to do but pile up.

Last I looked at least 7-11ft+ surge projected and pretty much stalled massive rain.

And again SE FL was far more hammered by water (see what happens when you buy in drained swamp untl 95 was built and why were it was there was nothing west) and even wind.... KW if not odd high tide coincidence ... flat as a pancake... just goes back in the ocean.

Also post Georges (most major storm and direct hit in decades) Keys Energy actively replaced tooth picks with steel concrete reinforced poles. Power loss is rarely long unless the tie line to the mainland (our 100 mile extension cord) majorly fails... SE FL again mostly toothpick transformer weight over burdened lines... 10's of thousands are without power even in something as insignificant as Issac. Most in KW if not a ultra local problem saw no more than a 2 sec glitch. And you could say we were graced by that unexpected die down...but in SE FL still pretty like us min winds (WELL OUTSIDE CENTER) just a lot more rain and still massively failed.

And FPL is just going to put new toothpicks up again. And just do this shit over and over again.

--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to jmpenguin

What's unusual to me is the lack of activity regarding the approach and progress of the storm in the South Central forum that includes Louisiana.

Folks in Louisiana who still have power and internet must be lurking the SE and Wx forums. Hope they're safe and sound.