Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
reply to sphexi

Re: Optik Internet Issue | Retrains multiple times daily

It could just be your Actiontec going bad. Or it could be something with the line. That's what the tech is there for, so you don't have to figure it out.

sphexi

join:2002-08-22
Victoria, BC
Tech came yesterday, looked at a few things. He ran some tests and couldn't even get a connection, he ended up replacing a POTS that he said looked like was reused, and that someone had snipped the previous wires out but left little bits in it. When he tugged on the line in it just came out without any resistance, after that the connection looked to be stable.

Because it was Sunday we couldn't get into the telco room on site, but he ran some tests on the STBs and said he didn't see any errors. That was about 30 hours ago now, since then there's been 19 retrains already, so there's still an issue somewhere.

I love that he provided us his card and info, and that I can call him personally to schedule time for him to come back (for which I will make sure we have access to the telco room this time), and it's not so bad that I can't wait until next weekend.

sphexi

Victoria, BC
It's been stable for about 5 hours so far now, although since the tech was here it's retrained 36 times. Weird thing is the SNR/power levels are totally different:

SNR Downstream : 7 dB
SNR Upstream : 9 dB
Power Downstream 18.6 dBm
Power Upstream -4.3 dBm

Probably just randomness, but odd that it's working better all of a sudden tonight, and these have changed slightly.

sphexi

Victoria, BC

1 edit
Another update on this:

Since last update it's been hit or miss. It's retrained daily, but sometimes gone up to 20 hours between a drop, and then sometimes drops constantly or can't even connect for 15-30 minutes. For example right now, it's dropped several times in the past hour, and I had to reboot the modem to force it to even connect (it connected to DSL but not the Internet).

I've removed literally all devices from my home network (several 10/100/1000mbps switches and other computers), leaving just two STBs and my one computer, wired directly to the router.

I had called the tech back directly about 2-3 days after he left to let him know it wasn't working, left a VM, no response. So that 7 day "warranty" obviously isn't very useful.

I called tech support again today, started the whole process over, got transferred to somebody who actually spoke English and didn't read from a script (I was surprised these people actually exist within Telus somewhere), he also understood words such as "retrain" which the standard reps obviously have no clue about. I've lost track of how many times I've said I have the Actiontec, only to get "You mean the black one with two antennas?".

He contacted the network team, and after 10 minutes said "The repair tech didn't update your network stream, so we've done that now, and it should be fine." I asked what updating the "network stream" consisted of, and got no answer other than it should be fine and not to worry. Obviously this is not the case, and within 15 minutes it was going down again.

Connection Status: Showtime
VPI: N/A
VCI: N/A
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 8B
Downstream Speed: 31496 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 3072 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 14 dB
SNR Upstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 3.8 dBm
Power Upstream -13.7 dBm
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 5369
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 4
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
Retrains Number: 1
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 0H:0M:25S

So I'll be calling again tomorrow to schedule another tech visit, and the poor soul that comes out will be replacing the modem, and the wiring to the house from the telco closet on site (which is what the last tech had said should be done, but then decided it wasn't probably needed).

Edit:

Wow, barely 15 minutes since the last retrain, the errors went through the roof and it dropped again:

Connection Status: Showtime
VPI: N/A
VCI: N/A
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 8B
Downstream Speed: 28739 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 3072 Kbps
SNR Downstream : -4 dB
SNR Upstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 2.6 dBm
Power Upstream -14 dBm
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 11764
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 4
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 127874
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 18128
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
Retrains Number: 2
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 0H:17M:1S

I notice just before it happens the 30 minute near end errors jump and then the modem resets itself. The downstream speed also dropped a little which is odd.