uniqs
share rss forum feed

kvn864

join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ
kudos:1
reply to neonhomer

Re: [motherboard] Dell Optiplex 390

Looks like this is just regular socket 1155 mATX motherboard that you can get cheaper then 129 dollars. If the back I/O plate detachable you are set. I agree, the board is fried, CPU can be OK however. Id start there. Hope PSU is in working condition too, lightning can do damage. Good luck.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
This works for me. I will have to look, but I think the I/O plate is removable.

I have a backup ATX power supply that I keep around the house for testing. A 500w Antec. I swapped that into the system with no luck.

I could drop the CPU (a Intel Core i3) into my new system I just built, but I don't want to risk damaging my new system with a bad CPU.

I will try resetting the CMOS, and unhooking the drives, but I think the board is done.

Now the shopping begins... again....
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

kvn864

Sun City, AZ
Your i3 will not damage the board, I don't think. But yea, just look for motherboard and replace that. And then it will be desus (Dell - Asus)

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
What sucks is the computer came with a Windows 7 Pro license. With the motherboard gone, it's no longer a Dell, so the license is no longer valid....

I was referring to the i3 possibly being bad, and damaging my new system (Which has a MSI board in it.)

kvn864

Sun City, AZ
I think with the call to Microsoft you will be alright, It is still the same computer. If your motherboard goes out you can still legally replace it and use the same key.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
Well, did some checks on the system. Pulled SATA cables, and both memory sticks off.. I get POST error code.

Put one stick in, fans come up, but no video. Swap sticks, same thing.

I hate to, but I need to test everything in this box before I buy a new motherboard. So looks like I am going to have to pull my new system apart, swap in the ram, test it. I hate to swap processors, cause then I have to re-goop my HSF.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton