Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

Re: Just out of curiosity: Phone wiring in new construction

said by nunya:

If I were building a house today for myself, it would be wired to the hilt. Actually, I would do conduit for LV.

Nail, meet head.

If I were to build a new home, that's EXACTLY what I would want. This way, I can pull cat6 now and replace it with.. whatever else.. later. I keep hoping for multi-mode fiber transceivers to drop in price, but hasn't happened. But I would definitely run conduit so I can string fiber when the time is right.

I'm convinced that wired isn't going away. Wireless is hot now, and will always play a role, but there's only so much spectrum, and as we march speeds up, and bandwidth requirements go up, there's only so much we can squeeze into available spectrum.

As for me, my house is wired with cat5e everywhere I need it, I have phone jacks (!!) in the kitchen, bedroom, and both home offices (his and hers), and I even have two home phone lines.

I guess I'm just old fashioned, but I prefer having a "house" phone number rather than just my mobile.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to robbin

to robbin
said by robbin:

I have starting asking tenants if they plan to have a "house phone" just out of curiosity and no one has one anymore.

No alarm systems? They still work better with POTS.

For the OP: Running a 22/4 or 24/4 cable during construction must be pretty cheap. Why not do it?

xbell
@cgocable.net

xbell to Daarken

Anon

to Daarken
said by Daarken:

We typically provide dual CAT5/CAT6 and dual RG-6 drops as a rule of thumb to every location the homeowner/developer requires. All drops are terminated in a structured wiring enclosure ready for whatever use a homeowner requires.
Personally CAT5 is dead, and CAT6 should be the norm.
Wireless is great, but with range, and latency, along with security being the drawbacks, a typical buyer requests a network drop for communication needs.

That is what we do up here in Ontario Canada except for the enclosure as many are just run to the hydro panel backing board or communication closet.

In fact I have never been asked to wire a home or apartment building that didn't have cat. 3, 5 or 6 to every room for phone.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

My alarm system works fine with Comcast Digital Voice. Several things to consider when getting Comcast is it is better to opt for a self install with Comcast and have the alarm contractor do the inside wiring as alarm contractors know how to properly wire a telephone line for line seizure and Comcast has been known to mess up phone wiring and not wire the RJ31X properly. In my case, I opted for a self install as I did the alarm wiring myself when I installed the alarm. I bought the alarm system from www.homesecuritystore.com and had a local alarm contractor take over the monitoring. It may be more expensive to have the alarm contractor do the VoIP wiring but it will be done properly and alarm installers in most jurisdictions (unless a homeowner/tenant is installing the system in their own home depending on jurisdiction) doing so for hire must be licensed and undergo a CORI (criminal background check).
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Bob4:

My alarm system works fine with Comcast Digital Voice.

And if there's a power failure?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Bob4:

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Bob4:

My alarm system works fine with Comcast Digital Voice.

And if there's a power failure?

The modem has a battery backup in it and I have it plugged into a UPS power supply.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I am wondering in new and remodel construction of homes and apartment buildings, if they are being wired for home telephone service or if they are just wiring them for cable TV and telling the few tenants who want a home phone to go with a cable company telephone offering or a VoIP offering.

With the decline of home phones, many developers/landlords may not want to pay for telephone wiring that is going to remain unused as home phones are on the decline and cable TV wiring is favorable because it can deliver higher Internet speeds and video as well as telephone.

My 2005 townhouse has cat 5e and coax pulled to all the major rooms as telephone and cable. They all terminate into my garage where there are two conduits: one for the cable and one that routes to a telephone distribution box on the property. If I really wanted to, I guess I could switch all the faceplates and terminate the ends in the garage as network cable to a switch. But I am perfectly happy with my fixed 3g 802.11G router at the moment. We cut the phone cord many years ago, the only wires coming in are cable TV and power.

If I was involved in the construction, I would have had them either install conduit, or pull three cat5 to each room (including bathrooms and closets) in order to future proof the construction. But again, I am perfectly happy with wireless solutions.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

The modem has a battery backup in it and I have it plugged into a UPS power supply.

How long will your batteries last? And what about Comcast's equipment? Do they have batteries? How long will they last? Alarm system batteries should last 24 hours and then be able to sound an alarm for 4 minutes.

These are all things you don't have to worry about with POTS, hence my statement that alarm systems work better with POTS.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

said by Bob4:

said by IowaCowboy:

How long will your batteries last? And what about Comcast's equipment? Do they have batteries? How long will they last? Alarm system batteries should last 24 hours and then be able to sound an alarm for 4 minutes.

These are all things you don't have to worry about with POTS, hence my statement that alarm systems work better with POTS.

Exactly. This is why I'm reluctant to move off DSL to cable. The cable company nodes are powered by the electric utility, and in theory, they have batteries in them. But I know how much maintenance Mediacom does (as little as possible), and even then, the batteries aren't going to last as long as the telco CO will. It has a generator, and my ADSL circuit is CO based, so it should stay up as long as any overhead wires are up.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
In Florida the rules are that if it's not already there the LL can refuse to allow an install in a single family. So if there's no phone lines then they can simply refuse to allow any alterations to their property and choose to allow cable to install. But all cable and phone companies are regulated by the PUC here. A few newer MDU's here are using Directv and Att only, so I guess as long as you have access to a dial tone they don't care around here.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

There's no really good "wireless" alternative for CATV or Satellite signal.

think about what you just said here.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Not necessarily, many new installations are now making notifications through Internet connections or cellular connections. Many are even using VOIP phone connections without any problems. The thought that alarm systems require POTS lines is very out of date.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to Bob4

to Bob4
that's fine i guess except that the last major power interruption we had here in jax the pots, cell and water all went down in less than 24hrs following the poco failure

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by IowaCowboy:

The batteries are going to die for the alarm panel anyway at which point it doesn't matter if you have that a connection to the monitoring station or not. Besides in my installation we have a 20kw generator backup system for the entire house. Also companies that provide telephone service (either table or twisted pair) are required to have generators preinstalled on their nodes that, and automatically in the event of a power failure, problem solved!

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

your house generator powers the local communications grid?? Cool!
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

1 edit

Bob4 to Msradell

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by Bob4:

Not necessarily, many new installations are now making notifications through Internet connections or cellular connections. Many are even using VOIP phone connections without any problems. The thought that alarm systems require POTS lines is very out of date.

Read carefully: I didn't say alarm systems require POTS, said they work better with POTS. POTS has a better uptime (my cable company takes down their phone service at times for maintenance) and there are next to no power failure issues.

My cable company says their phone service is not supported for use with UL burglar or fire alarm systems.

Also, what do the UL standards say about alarm signalling?

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
A little bit OT:

We built new in 2000. After a review of family / user needs & dynamics, I absolutely could not see the point in wiring the house for data. It just wasn't necessary within any long range plan, short of selling the house, which I would avoid at all costs. At the time laptops were very pricey for my needs, and a computer fairly roosted in the same spot from birth to retirement age.
(On a side note, this modular home came with home run to to the full stand up cellar high quality CATV coax from every room, less the bathrooms, a huge plus.)

My point - I can't begin to tell you how many times I was scolded by non-family observers for the lack of whole house data cabling.

Then a few short years later, wireless began to kick butt.

He who laughs last...
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Click for full size
Rewiring my house, spent a few extra bucks and got the leviton panel with some accessories. Still have more to run, but i will have around 9 cat5e and around the same in coax. I will extend the charter feed and ATT (Dead right now since i have no phone service) feed from outside to inside. Still trying to figure out out to arrange everything as its a tighter space than i first thought.

I will be adding a small 5 port gige switch that mounts to the bracket in the middle, and then my coax MTA phone modem will go above the UPS. All the cat5e will go to the patch panel. The black box top middle is for the phone, and it takes rj45, so any rj45 jack in the house can be patched into phone or data here at the panel.

pike
Premium Member
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC

pike to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

said by nunya:

There's no really good "wireless" alternative for CATV or Satellite signal.

think about what you just said here.

I believe nunya See Profile's point is, there is no viable alternative to coax for wireless transmission of the signal from the demarc point (LNB or CATV drop) to the set-top.

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to cooldude9919

Premium Member

to cooldude9919
said by cooldude9919:

I will be adding a small 5 port gige switch that mounts to the bracket in the middle...

The Netgear GS series fits on the bracket pretty much perfectly. I have a GS108 on one in my panel
cooldude9919
join:2000-05-29

cooldude9919

said by netboy34:

said by cooldude9919:

I will be adding a small 5 port gige switch that mounts to the bracket in the middle...

The Netgear GS series fits on the bracket pretty much perfectly. I have a GS108 on one in my panel

I actually got one already, and it fits fine, hopefully it works good

»www.amazon.com/dp/B001QU ··· sce_dp_2
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to netboy34

to netboy34
said by netboy34:

said by cooldude9919:

I have a dlink 8 port gig switch on mine...