uniqs
share rss forum feed

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Jack_in_VA

Re: Deadly Amoebas Found in Tankless Water Heater

said by Jack_in_VA:

How about our young, elderly and disabled? Why heat the water to 140 degrees when it's not needed and costs fortune to do? I do just fine at 120 degrees.

I have seen the "costs a fortune" argument a couple times. My summer bill averages $20, but the cost of the gas averages only $10. (the difference is the tax, and the charge for the meter that will be there regardless of how much gas I use) I keep my water heater at 140-145 degrees, and I just cant see that I will save "a fortune" by turning the heater down a dozen degrees.

I have a 40 gallon natural gas heater, and we are not shy about showers, dish washer use, and laundry. There are two adults and two large doggies so we do plenty of laundry.

I like hot showers, I like to be able to get the dishes clean in the dishwasher, and I like to get my dirty work clothes clean, so I am not turning down my water temperature any time soon.

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2
said by neonturbo:

said by Jack_in_VA:

How about our young, elderly and disabled? Why heat the water to 140 degrees when it's not needed and costs fortune to do? I do just fine at 120 degrees.

I have seen the "costs a fortune" argument a couple times. My summer bill averages $20, but the cost of the gas averages only $10. (the difference is the tax, and the charge for the meter that will be there regardless of how much gas I use) I keep my water heater at 140-145 degrees, and I just cant see that I will save "a fortune" by turning the heater down a dozen degrees.

I have a 40 gallon natural gas heater, and we are not shy about showers, dish washer use, and laundry. There are two adults and two large doggies so we do plenty of laundry.

I like hot showers, I like to be able to get the dishes clean in the dishwasher, and I like to get my dirty work clothes clean, so I am not turning down my water temperature any time soon.

The difference with a tankless is not the difference in temperatures, even though there is a difference in temperature. It is the difference in standby loss and a host of other factors.
Turning a tank heater down 20 degrees is not going to change standby loss that much. Having no standby loss at all will (but only to an extent, since you are not spending that much on heating water in the first place). I still think the biggest advantage is that a tankless heater has a 20+ year life. 2 tanks are still cheaper than 1 tankless, but the gap in cost is small enough that the tankless probably saves you money and has a lot better performance. Sometimes the extra space if very valuable or the extra leak risk from a tank comes back to bite you too.
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher