Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall to beachintech

Premium Member

to beachintech

Re: [Signals] How does my install look?

I need a gateway and not just a plain modem because I checked similar prices of 8x4 standalone modems and cheap N150 routers and that runs about 120-150. I really wanted the Motorola SB141 + a cheap router but the modem is pretty expensive on Amazon right now and while I hear good reviews of the Zoom modem I am looking for a company with a pretty long history. Plus, I really can't stand the Zoom's out dated design : /.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Bottom line is "you get what you pay for"... How do figure that the "Zoom's design" is outdated ? Are you referring to cosmetics ?
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

I need a gateway and not just a plain modem because I checked similar prices of 8x4 standalone modems and cheap N150 routers and that runs about 120-150. I really wanted the Motorola SB141 + a cheap router but the modem is pretty expensive on Amazon right now and while I hear good reviews of the Zoom modem I am looking for a company with a pretty long history. Plus, I really can't stand the Zoom's out dated design : /.

I'm still not seeing your point. You said you would turn off the wireless functionality of the gateway, and you'd connect one PC, so why factor in the price of a wireless router?

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Are you referring to cosmetics ?

- Yes

@nw96482

Yes, I would turn off wireless on it but I may need it if I want to do something really small on something without a wired connection. I also want a firewall .

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

Are you referring to cosmetics ?

- Yes

One should "never judge a book by its cover"...
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

Thordrune to Darknessfall

Premium Member

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

Yes, I would turn off wireless on it but I may need it if I want to do something really small on something without a wired connection. I also want a firewall .

Ah okay, now that makes sense. If you really want to get a gateway, go ahead, we can't stop you .

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I'm curious now that I have the SMC gateway. Why do people complain about the wireless on these things? I have been trying it out and I hadn't had any drops and got about the same ping and same speeds wired/wireless.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by Darknessfall:

I'm curious now that I have the SMC gateway. Why do people complain about the wireless on these things? I have been trying it out and I hadn't had any drops and got about the same ping and same speeds wired/wireless.

Take a look at the boatloads of posts at the Comcast Help Forums about this..