Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DruX

join:2010-08-18
South Bend, IN

[Signals] My signals after self install

Click for full size
Self installed about 3 weeks ago, HSI Performance package with SB6121, setup is this:

|--->amp--->TV Splitters...
Tap---(600 ft drop)---->2-way splitter|
|--->SB6121

Tap to modem is about 650 feet.
Nearest Comcast amp on street to modem about 1200 feet.

My speeds have been consistent, but signals have fluctuated at times, going as low a -16 on downstream and +44 on upstream.

I've thought about putting it on the amp, but if it ain't broke don't fix it, right?

Was in the DSL camp for years. I'm new to cable internet, should I be worried about signal problems in the winter?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

If your signals are fluctuating that much, there's a problem.

The signals you posted in that picture aren't terrible, but if they go to -16 on the downstream you could being to have issues.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

bernardc

join:2009-12-13
Berkeley, CA
reply to DruX

If those downstream levels drift below -15 dBmV (the specified minimum for the modem), and if Comcast doesn't readily fix it, you can remedy it, at least temporarily, by putting a line-powered drop amp near or at the tap. See the lengthy and spirited discussion of this at »[Connectivity] Long battle with bad connectivity solved in which I recount a situation similar to yours. Suitable drop amps are made for outdoor locations, are not expensive, and the power supply is remotely located within your dwelling unit. My drop amp was co-located with the tap in the slam box with the express consent of Comcast employees who had the documented authority to allow it, and there was never the slightest curfuffle. Luckily, your SNR numbers are very good as of this reading.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to ExoticFish

said by ExoticFish:

The signals you posted in that picture aren't terrible, but if they go to -16 on the downstream you could being to have issues.

Huh ? Try -10 dB in many systems. That is if they are even accurate.. The power levels are also way out of balance with respect to each other. Perhaps a tech visit would be best to properly balance their line.