Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nlehrer

join:2004-06-11
Arlington, VA

[Speed] why is my upgrade odd?

hi,
i just upgraded to a docsis 3 sb6121 modem when comcast told me to. my setup is modem to linksys wrt54gs wifi rtr to my laptop over cat 5e cable, about 30 feet. both speedtest.net and NDT said i had about 15 Mbs down and 5 up with my docsis 2 modem. with the new sb6121 i got 20 down and 10 up. sort of disappointing and not really noticeable. the blue bonding lites on the modem are on. i try the same tests bypassing the rtr and speedtest says 50 down and 10 up. NDT remains at 20 down and 10 up. i compare my modem power and SNR ratings to what is posted and i am in range. the rtr is setup with WPA2 encryption, but that should not affect hardwired connections.

suggestions? thanks.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

The Linksys WRT54Gs are too old to handle routing speeds that high. Switching is different from routing so don't think because you have 100Mbps switched ports you can get 100Mbps routing. You need a new router eitherway.

bernardc

join:2009-12-13
Berkeley, CA
reply to nlehrer

Your test indicates that your router is the bottleneck. The only well-documented source of information on this is at »www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/r···rts/view . I just had a similar situation in which I replaced a Linksys RVS4000 with a Cisco RV180 in a commercial account with offsite access. The speed increase onsite was similar to your numbers and not that noticeable. But remote access speed took a huge leap. And this is consistent with the test reports on smallnetbuilder.com .

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to nlehrer

Your router is too old dude. WPA2 needs more processing power that is why your speed is too low. The WPA2 encryption does affect the hardwired connections because it is sucking CPU power. The old Linksys has a very slow processor.

Try turning off wireless to see what you get.

crawlernight

join:2012-08-14
reply to nlehrer

If you are getting more speed without a router, it only explains that the router is too old and does not meet the hardware requirement to process the speed you are getting. Check out this link "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series". In Wikipedia they have mentioned the specs of your router like (processor, Flash memory and RAM) which is too low to handle those speeds. Better get a new router.

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to nlehrer

As others said, it's an older router with a relatively slow CPU. I haven't done throughput testing myself with the stock firmware on those, but when I used my WRT54GL with Tomato, it was able to maintain about 37 Mbps, occasionally going upwards of 50, and one time it did 56 Mbps for a day or two (no idea why). I had a slight CPU overclock as well, from 200 MHz to 216.

If you aren't able to get a new router and really want the extra speed, it may be worth it to check out DD-WRT. Depending on the revision of your router, you may be stuck with the micro version.
--
KI6RIT

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

FWIW, bottom line is, no firmware load can ever totally overcome any inherent hardware deficiencies of a device.

nlehrer

join:2004-06-11
Arlington, VA
reply to nlehrer

thanks to all.

recommendations on a new router? i was thinking of going all in and getting one of the new 802.11 AC rtrs - a netgear, or an asus.

comments

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by nlehrer:

thanks to all.

recommendations on a new router? i was thinking of going all in and getting one of the new 802.11 AC rtrs - a netgear, or an asus.

comments

Well, I guess you could make an argument about "future proofing" by going with an AC router, but not for me.

You are paying a definite premium right now for a router that in a couple of years will cost no more than a quality 11N router costs today...that's why some call it "bleeding edge" technology.

I would recommend a decent, 11N dual band...keep in mind, that will have more than enough overhead for your ISP provided speeds. 11AC would net you no tangible advantage at this time.
--
Deeds, not words

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to nlehrer

And good brand name N router such as Netgear or Belkin and you should be good to go.
--
»Music2pc-This program is AMAZING!

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

Can you really put "good" and "Netgear/Belkin" in the same sentence ? LoL
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nlehrer

Go with Asus because Netgear is so-so quality. The ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router should be an ideal router for what you're looking for.

A suggestion though, you should get a gigabit switch to have fast speeds for your hardwired connections and still have the Linksys for wireless. You will save over a hundred dollars. I'd wait for more 802.11AC routers to come to market with more mature firmware.