join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

Is This PC System Rig Worth $1,099 ?

Click for full size
Click for full size
-
-
TigerDirect Canada is selling this system as the "ultimate" at the best price, I'm completely clueless about hardware technical stuff, do you guys think it's a fair price?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Hell no! $150-300 markup going on there...

Xstar_Lumini

Canada

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Okay $150 Im willing to pay extra for their time but not $300.

Okay os the video/graphics card compatible and up to date for 2012?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

No. The CPU is an AMD, which is your first problem. The GPU is also a generation old and on the low-end of the enthusiast gaming cards of the 6000 series. It also looks like they used the old HAF 922 rig that doesn't have USB 3.0 on the front, despite the chipset supporting it--for that reason I would not buy from that shop, looks like they lack attention to detail.

I might pay $800 for that rig, if that.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Also, AMD is going to be dropping prices soon and releasing some new processors making this even less of a value deal:

AMD "Vishera" FX-Series CPU Specifications Confirmed

quote:
A leaked AMD document for retail partners spelled out specifications of the first three FX "Vishera" processors by AMD. The new CPUs incorporate AMD's "Piledriver" architecture, and much like the first-generation "Zambezi" chips, will launch as one each of eight-core, six-core, and four-core chips. The eight-core FX-8350 is confirmed to ship with 4.00 GHz nominal clock speed, with 4.20 GHz TurboCore speed. The six-core FX-6300 ships with 3.50 GHz nominal, and 4.10 GHz TurboCore speed. The quad-core FX-4320, on the other hand, ships with the same clock speeds as the FX-8350. In addition, the document confirmed clock speeds of several socket FM2 A-series APUs, such as the A10-5700 and the A8-5500.

AMD to Slash CPU Prices Across the Board, Introduce FX-4130 Quad-Core CPU

quote:
It has been known since Computex that AMD plans to synchronize launch of its second-generation "Trinity" desktop APUs and second-generation "Vishera" desktop CPUs, in late-Q3 or early-Q4, 2012. In likely preparation for that, and to step up price-performance of its current lineup, AMD cut prices of its desktop CPUs and APUs across the board. These include price-cuts for Phenom II AM3 series, FX-series AM3+, and A-series FM1 CPUs and APUs. Some of the prices as down by as much as 22.9%. The Phenom II series chips are the ones with the biggest price-cuts. Find a list of chips with old and new pricing, and differences, compiled by CPU World, below.

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO

If the 4 and 8 "core" versions are launching at 4ghz why not the 6 "core" one too? weird.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I have a fair bit of experience shopping at Tiger Direct if only because I'm very close to one.

The best way to get a better price there, is to go in, quote them the parts you want, and they'll apply a discount on the whole system.

Although I have no experience whith AMD's CPUs and GPUs (I usually do Intel/Nvidia) Intel outperforms AMD on equivalent chips, so if you're looking for performance, I'd stick with Intel for the CPU.

EQ

Edit: It might be worth mentionning as well that my wife has that very case; and she bought it well over two years ago, it's HUGE that may or many not be a good thing depending on what you like

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Krisnatharok

Okay so that makes up my mind, I'm not buying it, I want something mid-level and up to date (for once in a lifetime).

I remember how I got ripped off in 2001 with a Compaq Presario that I bought for $2,000.... the thing didn't even have a CD-drive to backup my data and lost thounsands of pictures/video/songs with it. I also did not know at the time that the bloody thing could not be upgraded like normal PC desktops.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

What's your budget and what do you plan on doing with it (i.e. web browsing, streaming HD video, ripping DVDs or encoding video, gaming [what games and what resolution])?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Picture photoshopping, video encoding (HD), that's about it. I know there's a zillion choices out there, tell me which are the most mainstream and my budget is $1,000 dollars. No gaming, don't have the time with a motorcycle and a jetski in my driveway

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Also are you capable of building it yourself or do you need a pre-built system?

Relkin

join:2006-03-05
nightmare
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I was bored so i added up the prices of what they list from newegg and came up with 872 not counting shipping or tax. Had to go to amazon to find the LSP PSU. So about 230 over what you could get the parts for yourself.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Thanks--work is busy today or I would have done so.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to Xstar_Lumini

I kind of like this case:

Cooler Master HAF XM Mid-Tower Enclosure Review

Functionally speaking that is. I don’t really care for the esthetics of any of the HAF cases though.

Konceptz
Intel

join:2001-12-22
Chesterfield, VA
reply to Xstar_Lumini

as others have said...its being marked up by at least $200. I've seen similar systems built minus the OS for around 800 bucks. If your ever in doubt, go on newegg and build a system and see the cost difference. Generally speaking and not to bash AMD in anyway, most top end AMD systems can be had under $1,000 depending on what you choose for a graphics card.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini

Pre-built since Im PC clueless and dont have the time or patience to order parts and put them together. Do you think those Dell systems online are okay?

Remember that Im on XP on a computer from 2006 so even the lowest system you guys have is still faster than mine, no fancy stuff but make sure its somewhat up to date.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Can you get iBuyPower in Canada? They generally have minimal markup and give you greatest flexibility over the parts going into them--probably the closest to a good DIY you can get without actually DIY.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

Can you get iBuyPower in Canada?

Shipping info says they ship to Canada, so I'm assuming you can buy them in Canada.

»www.ibuypower.com/Support/ShipInfo.aspx
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini

One thing some of you guys might overlook is pretty much everything costs a little more up north - despite current dollar parity. What you can get for your US $800 is a little short when comparing directly to CND prices. Taxes and environmental shipping fees as well. I'd agree though the TigerDirect is actually worth $800-900. Not a bad system for pre-built - the cost is in the ballpark of do it yourself if you need to buy a new copy of Windows too ($100). Yes, there's likely a couple hundred at least in markup compared to building your own and you could build a better one for the same cost, especially carefully choosing parts on sale.

That TigerDirect AMD system is way better than anything Dell in the same price range. With the namebrand Dell's, etc. you have no knowledge of what key parts were used - generic PSU, OEM mainboard with a crippled BIOS - no overclocking ability, piss-poor cooling, OEM Windows pre-loaded with tons of crapware and no physical OS discs, weak entry-level GPU or worse - integrated. I could go on.

That said, there's better deals if you're willing to spend time customizing your own system and perhaps have a shop build it for you. Avoid the impulse purchase. Do you have a Memory Express where you live? You can choose you own parts and have them put it all together for a small fee. I know you said you don't have the patience but surely someone can help?

Chrno

join:2003-12-11
reply to Xstar_Lumini

If you prefer, let me know what type of system you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. I'll work something out for you. The store I work at is in Canada, $4.99 shipping if your system is under 100lb. I believe you are in Ontario? If you are it may be a better idea to just buy local. You get easier access to support. Otherwise I would be more than happy to help you out (note, I am not in Ontario).

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to TK421

Well, on the note of betting Windows OS for 100 bucks, that is only for a system builder's OEM license. All builders need to realize that if the motherboard fails and you replace it with a different model, your contract, your license, is null and void, and sometimes Microsoft will tell you tough luck. Full retail package costs plenty more, just a head's up...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

TK421
Premium
Canada

Without doubt, various choices will add to the cost.

It was late and I was tired when I posted last night - I'd like to clarify one thing. What I intended to say was a answer to the OP question: Is it a fair price?

Short answer: Yes.

It's a good build and a reasonable retail sticker. No one expects TigerDirect or anyone else to sell rigs at cost - $1100 probably represents 25-30% markup. Not that bad. I think any average PC user would be extremely pleased with the overall performance and quality of the components.

Asking a group of enthusiasts if they would buy that system, or build a better one, is a totally different question.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Indeed, those of us that build our own aren't going to be completely objective about a shop build. I agree with you, 20 or even 30 percent markup is reasonable IF and only IF Tiger will stand by their product, something even I worry about. Didn't someone here at DSLR buy a refurb where Tiger didn't honor the warranty and deferred to another company, who just ignored the request for a claim? That is NO WAY to do business.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

TK421
Premium
Canada

In this case TigerDirect's deal is not a refurb (ie. returned or reconfigured/restored merchandise resold at lesser cost).

I still think it's shameless to sell a PC without any valid warranty but that's the catch with refurb - buyer beware.

Hypothetically, if I considered buying from them I'd do some online searching for other people's experience with the return policy and warranty issues.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

Well, my BIL swears by Tiger, admittedly, he virtually buys from only them. They got a refurb laptop over a year ago. Fortunately, they didn't get burned, it works still. But I wonder if they still refuse to honor their rebate deals. Years ago people here at DSLR were up in arms over their deliberately rejecting virtually all rebate claims. It was a scandal.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to TK421

said by TK421:

Asking a group of enthusiasts if they would buy that system, or build a better one, is a totally different question.

Good point. I like to keep some parts on hand so when I built my Core i3930K / ASUS P9X79 Deluxe system I only needed the CPU and motherboard. At Microcenter the Core i7 3930K cost about ~$499.99. I bought the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe of of Amazon for ~$160 due to a coupon so the whole thing only cost me ~$660.

So a more powerful and less expensive system then what is listed here.