share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to TK421

Re: Is This PC System Rig Worth $1,099 ?

Well, on the note of betting Windows OS for 100 bucks, that is only for a system builder's OEM license. All builders need to realize that if the motherboard fails and you replace it with a different model, your contract, your license, is null and void, and sometimes Microsoft will tell you tough luck. Full retail package costs plenty more, just a head's up...
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
Without doubt, various choices will add to the cost.

It was late and I was tired when I posted last night - I'd like to clarify one thing. What I intended to say was a answer to the OP question: Is it a fair price?

Short answer: Yes.

It's a good build and a reasonable retail sticker. No one expects TigerDirect or anyone else to sell rigs at cost - $1100 probably represents 25-30% markup. Not that bad. I think any average PC user would be extremely pleased with the overall performance and quality of the components.

Asking a group of enthusiasts if they would buy that system, or build a better one, is a totally different question.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Indeed, those of us that build our own aren't going to be completely objective about a shop build. I agree with you, 20 or even 30 percent markup is reasonable IF and only IF Tiger will stand by their product, something even I worry about. Didn't someone here at DSLR buy a refurb where Tiger didn't honor the warranty and deferred to another company, who just ignored the request for a claim? That is NO WAY to do business.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

TK421
Premium
join:2004-12-19
Canada
In this case TigerDirect's deal is not a refurb (ie. returned or reconfigured/restored merchandise resold at lesser cost).

I still think it's shameless to sell a PC without any valid warranty but that's the catch with refurb - buyer beware.

Hypothetically, if I considered buying from them I'd do some online searching for other people's experience with the return policy and warranty issues.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
Well, my BIL swears by Tiger, admittedly, he virtually buys from only them. They got a refurb laptop over a year ago. Fortunately, they didn't get burned, it works still. But I wonder if they still refuse to honor their rebate deals. Years ago people here at DSLR were up in arms over their deliberately rejecting virtually all rebate claims. It was a scandal.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to TK421
said by TK421:

Asking a group of enthusiasts if they would buy that system, or build a better one, is a totally different question.

Good point. I like to keep some parts on hand so when I built my Core i3930K / ASUS P9X79 Deluxe system I only needed the CPU and motherboard. At Microcenter the Core i7 3930K cost about ~$499.99. I bought the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe of of Amazon for ~$160 due to a coupon so the whole thing only cost me ~$660.

So a more powerful and less expensive system then what is listed here.