join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to nwrickert

Re: Chaining wireless routers safely

said by nwrickert:

There are routers which support a separate guest network. That is probably the best approach...

Do these guest network still have password/key prompts to use it? I don't want neighbors/outside strangers to use my wifi.
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by antdude:

Do these guest network still have password/key prompts to use it? I don't want neighbors/outside strangers to use my wifi.

I suppose it depends on the router.

The one I am using (no longer available) does. I can setup encryption, SSID, etc, just as for the regular network. Both guest and regular network are on the same WiFi channel (since they use the same chip). The guest network has a different range of private IPs (configurable), and cannot connect to the regular network, but it can see the Internet.

I think the dd-wrt alternate firmware, available for some routers, has guest network support.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.1; firefox 14.0.1

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
South Padre Island, TX
kudos:5
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

said by nwrickert:

There are routers which support a separate guest network. That is probably the best approach...

I happen to use an older ZyXEL NBG334W router with a separate guest network function. It works very well for my usage...

»theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/L···eLan.png

The guest WLAN and private LAN/WLAN are completely isolated from one another and both are password/passphrase protected. In my case I use WPA2-Personal (aka WPA2-PSK [AES]) on both networks.
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer