All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
aeternitatis
join:2012-08-26

aeternitatis

Bridging on MI424WR Rev I

I had a Rev E router previously and had used instructions here to bridge so I could use my own router:
»Re: MI424WR-GEN2 Rev E Configuration Thread

With Rev E, I had followed steps 1-18, then the VOD steps, and everything worked fine, including guide data.

Just got a new Rev I router. I got bridging working by following 1-18, minus 15. 15 is:
15. Network(Home/Office) – Settings – Uncheck Box to Left of Coax – Apply

On the Rev I routers, coax/ethernet are one entry (on Rev E they were 2 separate entries), and unchecking the box next to them per this step makes the router inaccessible. The VOD steps say step 15 is important.

Anyone know the proper equivalent step for 15 on Rev I that will result in the router still working? Or other method of bridging Rev I so that guide data, etc works?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

For both internet and TV to work in the double bridge configuration, you have to be able to uncheck the coax entry. This was never possible on the Westell and it appears it is no longer possible on the rev. I Actiontec.

Is it possible for you to run cat5 to the ONT? If so there are several other bridging configurations that will work.
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

PHTI
@verizon.net

PHTI

Anon

Wait - so are you saying that if you cannot run cat5 to the ONT and you want to use your own router then you can no longer have TV *and* internet service?

Why would Verizon do something like that?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by PHTI :

so are you saying that if you cannot run cat5 to the ONT and you want to use your own router then you can no longer have TV *and* internet service?

No, that's not what I said.

What I said was "it appears you can not use the double bridge (option #5 in the tradeoffs FAQ) with the Actiontec rev. I". All the other options are still valid.

PHTI
@verizon.net

PHTI

Anon

Would it be safe to say that option #10 is out of the question as well? Thanks.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by PHTI :

Would it be safe to say that option #10 is out of the question as well?

No. The fact that the broadband coax and ethernet interfaces can't be split out in the rev. I Actiontec has no bearing on option #10.

You don't even need the rev. I if you go with two MOCA bridges (1 for WAN, one for LAN).

If you're going to go with option #10, I do not recommend the Netgear MCAB1001. Several people have have problems with it. See the note in the following FAQ:
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge?