All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

siersema
join:2005-06-16
Mansfield, TX

siersema to Acct101

to Acct101

Re: Has anyone upgraded their interest and purchased router?

One thing people don't think about is the wired network speeds. With the G and I routers you get 1G wired connections that speed PC to PC file transfers.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by siersema:

One thing people don't think about is the wired network speeds. With the G and I routers you get 1G wired connections that speed PC to PC file transfers.

I don't know that people forget that aspect of it, but the questions had to do with Internet streaming services and the like. Which, GigE would make no difference.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to siersema

Premium Member

to siersema
said by siersema:

All you need is a GigE switch between the PCs and you can get the faster transfer speeds. The router can still have a 100BT connection to the GigE switch. Of course the best thing is to get your own router anyway. There are many routers that are much better than any of the AT routers that FiOS supplies.

Teasip
join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX

Teasip

Unless it is free
whsbuss
join:2007-08-10
Norristown, PA

whsbuss to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by siersema:

All you need is a GigE switch between the PCs and you can get the faster transfer speeds. The router can still have a 100BT connection to the GigE switch. Of course the best thing is to get your own router anyway. There are many routers that are much better than any of the AT routers that FiOS supplies.

Problem is even with a GigE switch the network will be slower due to 100MB traffic.
tennisman94
join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by whsbuss:

Problem is even with a GigE switch the network will be slower due to 100MB traffic.

What do you mean? Wired networks aren't like wireless networks where adding one slower client slows down the whole network. I get reads and writes between my NAS and PC at around 80-90 MB/s with my gigabit switch which is connected to an actiontec rev E (100mbps)
whsbuss
join:2007-08-10
Norristown, PA

whsbuss

said by tennisman94:

said by whsbuss:

What do you mean? Wired networks aren't like wireless networks where adding one slower client slows down the whole network. I get reads and writes between my NAS and PC at around 80-90 MB/s with my gigabit switch which is connected to an actiontec rev E (100mbps)

Yes your results make my point. If your PC and NAS are GigE, connecting them to your actiontec Rev E will limit LAN speed to 100MB.
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

1 edit

tnsprin

said by whsbuss:

said by tennisman94:

said by whsbuss:

Yes your results make my point. If your PC and NAS are GigE, connecting them to your actiontec Rev E will limit LAN speed to 100MB.

You internet speed will be limited to 100mbps, but with most modern routers and switches your LAN (intranet speed) will still be at 1gbps assuming that device supports it.

Great for sharing file, videos etc on you home network.
tennisman94
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94 to whsbuss

to whsbuss
said by whsbuss:

You're confusing megabits and megabytes. There's 8 bits to a byte, so 1 gigbit is 1000/8= 125 megabytes per second in each direction. If I had my computer and NAS connected directly to the actiontec, they would be limited to 12.5 megabytes per second transfers, which they far exceed.
davidplatt
join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA

1 edit

davidplatt to whsbuss

to whsbuss
said by whsbuss:

You are completely wrong. WAN speed will be limited to 100Mb (not MB, MB=MegaBYTES, Mb=MegaBits) if the router has a 100Mb WAN port. With FiOS Quantum, the router has a 1Gb WAN port to accomodate the higher than 100Mb speeds.

The LAN speed will be limited by the speed of the ports on the router/switch. If the router has GigE ports for the LAN side of the router, then the speed will be limited to 1 gigabit per second (Gb, not GB) between devices on the LAN.
tennisman94
Palm Harbor, FL

tennisman94

said by davidplatt:

You are completely wrong. WLAN speed will be limited to 100Mb (not MB, MB=MegaBYTES, Mb=MegaBits) if the router has a 100Mb WLAN port. With FiOS Quantum, the router has a 1Gb WLAN port to accomodate the higher than 100Mb speeds.

The LAN speed will be limited by the speed of the ports on the router/switch. If the router has GigE ports for the LAN side of the router, then the speed will be limited to 1 gigabit per second (Gb, not GB) between devices on the LAN.

change WLAN to WAN and everything that you said is correct, WLAN is usually means wireless lan
davidplatt
join:2003-02-13
Herndon, VA

davidplatt

I have changed it to WAN from WLAN.

I don't understand how anyone would actually think that device to device communications on the LAN side of a router would be controlled by the speed of the WAN port. They are two separate circuits.

And I just love people referrring to their 30MB connection instead of 30Mb connection. The case of the letters in this case matters!!!

I wish I could get a Triple Play for $137 a month with 30MB/30MB internet considering it has 30Mb/30Mb internet. I'd take an 8 times boost in speed for the same price.