join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Buying first used car 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S

I got them down to $5400 from $5900

I'm trying to get them down to $5,000

Has 116k miles.

I got a car history report for it all ready so I have $30 invested into something I do not have.

Took it for a test drive ran smooth and very quiet

A/C is cold

Shifts smooth as well (automatic.)
Body over all is in very good shape no major dents , some scratches on the front bumper. Paint does not have SAND blasted look

No Accidents

07/16/2010 CA 82,840 State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

I'll see if they (or I )can get it tested before I buy it since it's been 2 years since the last test.

The only major issue I'm worried about is the Air bag light It will not turn off. Another thing is a damaged driver side seatbelt excessive wear on it. (trying to use this as a bargaining chip)
(doing research it could be just a bad fuse . )

( top were it connects to the car shell inbetween the door)

This is a liability issue for them.

5k if I get it fixed or 5,400 if they get it fixed.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
united state
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Hold firm on those two issues, because if the airbag might be broken then that's a very costly job.

Good Luck and congrats on your pending purchase.
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

I got a car history report for it all ready so I have $30 invested into something I do not have.

That's normal and the cost involved when buying a used vehicle. You should really be invested with a mechanical inspection by a pro to find things you missed or overlooked. You may even look at multiple vehicles and end up spending inspection dollars on each of them to weed out the not so good vehicles. It is the only way you can make an informed decision.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

the Air bag light It will not turn off.

Don't buy the car unless this is fixed. And make sure they don't simply disconnect the bulb!

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to Doctor Olds

said by Doctor Olds:

said by Anonymous_:

That's normal and the cost involved when buying a used vehicle. You should really be invested with a mechanical inspection by a pro to find things you missed or overlooked. You may even look at multiple vehicles and end up spending inspection dollars on each of them to weed out the not so good vehicles. It is the only way you can make an informed decision.

Yes I called the dealer just for the factory oem parts, it will cost $400 just for the parts.

Not worried about mechanical issues I know it's working perfect the engine/transmission just by the sound of it. I know what it's spouse to sound like for this particular engine.

I have a mechanic that can check it out for me for free.

I checked out another sentra 2003 and the engine did not sound correct and guess what the check engine light was on ( the guy tried down playing it but I'm not that stupid) It had over 320,000 miles so it was at end of life and was just only worth scrap metal value.

The air bag issue could be the the result of that scratch that I was talking about on the bumper. The scratch is horizontal , so i think a shopping cart must have hit it and not a car since it lines up perfect

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Anonymous_

You have no idea whatsoever about the cause of the airbag issue.
Pulling guesses out of thin air isn't helping.

If you are serious, spend another bit of money and get a proper estimate for the airbags + vehicle overall condition.
I suggest this be done at the dealer, as they know the vehicle (and what to look for) better than anyone else.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by Cho Baka:

You have no idea whatsoever about the cause of the airbag issue.
Pulling guesses out of thin air isn't helping.

If you are serious, spend another bit of money and get a proper estimate for the airbags + vehicle overall condition.
I suggest this be done at the dealer, as they know the vehicle (and what to look for) better than anyone else.

I suspect it's the seat belt system since it has sensor in it and the seat belt thing is damaged. (I checked the manual)

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
Reviews:
·row44

1 edit
reply to Anonymous_

Will you take it to a mechanic to have a real inspection done before you give them $5K???
I bought a used car on ebay. Before I gave them the money I test drove it to a mechanic and paid $150 to get a real inspection.

$150 is worth not wasting $5,000. If they wont let a mechanic look at it then they are hiding something.
I just hope if you dont pay for a real inspection you are not posting 2 weeks from now with a blown engine or destroyed transmission.

As for the airbag it is not a liability issue for the seller as they sell the car to you as-is.

$5k sounds about right if the engine and transmission are fine since the airbag light is on and there is a seat belt problem.
--
...brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Anonymous_

I have unlimited car reports. If I had know I would have run the car for you.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium

autocheck is the one I used so if you got car fax let me know

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Anonymous_

$30 dollars is nothing verse paying $5000 for something and having a bunch of issues that lead to more thousands.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to Anonymous_

Too many miles for that price.

offer 4800 and stay there....or look for something with less miles... You'll be doing head work shortly on that car.
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Anonymous_

Nissan cars are great cars. But around that price range why not look for a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic as well?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Anonymous_

Ok - things that don't make sense in this thread....

First used car purchase....

The engine\transmission is ok (not just ok but 'perfect') - it 'sounds' good. The manual was read - a belt 'thing' is probably damaged.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

said by CylonRed:

Ok - things that don't make sense in this thread....

First used car purchase....

The engine\transmission is ok (not just ok but 'perfect') - it 'sounds' good. The manual was read - a belt 'thing' is probably damaged.

Air bag light is on... I decided not to get that one..
said by DeltaElite:

Too many miles for that price.

offer 4800 and stay there....or look for something with less miles... You'll be doing head work shortly on that car.

yes but I do not expect my first car to be a new one

the only ones with less miles have salvage titles.
Expand your moderator at work

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to Anonymous_

Re: Buying first used car 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8S

I almost want to say miles do not matter. If an owner treated a car like crap for 56,000 miles it iss worst than a car with 100,000 miles that an owner knew what he was doing with the car and car care.

pcdebb
RIP lil hurricane
Premium
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL
kudos:5
reply to Anonymous_

If you can get ahold of a scan tool I'd get one. If they get nervous, run away.
--
| map your city |

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

I almost want to say miles do not matter. If an owner treated a car like crap for 56,000 miles it iss worst than a car with 100,000 miles that an owner knew what he was doing with the car and car care.

yeah I found a altima 2003 but they will not budge on the price IMO it's way too high for the amount of miles on it

'
they wanted $6,000 for it but kellyblue book is only $4,075 , has 200,xxx miles on it original motor(not rebuilt) (1 owner)
has a brand new paint job motor and shifts good as well. sounds good overall and accelerate smooth as well.

(I have a mechanic that will check it out for free for me.
normally he would charge 80$ to have a car checked out)

Excellent $4075
Very Good $3,756
Good $3,606
Fair $2,856

I offered over kbb $4500 since it had the Alloy Wheels option
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Anonymous_

A shopping cart hit wouldn't do anything to the airbags. I hit someone who stopped on the highway at about 10MPH or so, no airbag deployment. They only deploy when you hit something hard.

It does make you wonder, though, if it was in a serious accident and it was repaired an a non-authorized shop, and/or "under the table repair". It wouldn't be reported.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium

yeah I did not get that car