share rss forum feed

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream

[Beginner] Ipod Touch Questions

I'm considering getting one and would like to know what it will & won't allow me to do given my preferences. Basically, I want it only as a stand-alone device and won't want to sync any of it's functions with my PC. My main uses will be email-web browser-camera functions, and maybe single-player games and other apps that are available free. I WON'T be buying-storing-playing music of any kind. I WON'T be using Facebook or Twitter. I will want to transfer photos/videos from the Ipod Touch to my PC but I WON'T install either iTunes or Quicktime on my PC. If I can transfer photos/videos to the PC, I have other apps to deal with them.

If what I have described is possible, then I'll buy it. If not, then I'll just forget it. All help appreciated.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

You can probably do all that, but you might have to connect to PC the first time, I am unsure though, it likely will work right out of the box. You'll need to find the proper software for downloading video and photos off of device.

Why you hate iTunes so much?
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

Come to think of it, I think Windows actually manages the photos and videos. So you might be good right out of the box.

All updates can be done w/o computer.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada

i have an itouch and never connect it to my computer. i dont like the idea of syncing with a cable, but so far ive updated apps, check my email, use skipe and much more all on the ipod
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AZinOH

I also don't understand your aversion to iTunes...you wouldn't be using it much for your stated purposes, anyway, but AFAIK, you must install it to help support initial syncing (for the drivers) to your PC. You can update the iPod Touch's software via WiFi, so again, regular use of iTunes will not be required for that function.

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

If the initial setup of the Ipod Touch requires iTunes to be installed on the PC, I can live with that. I'll just uninstall it afterwards. Thanks for your assistance.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to buckingham

said by buckingham:

I also don't understand your aversion to iTunes...

I don't understand it either ... it kills me when noobs want to use a product, but want to leave out integral features.
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Paolo

said by Paolo:

i have an itouch and never connect it to my computer. i dont like the idea of syncing with a cable, but so far ive updated apps, check my email, use skipe and much more all on the ipod

Yeah, wasn't sure if initially you needed a computer, although with Apple "Works out of the box" is most important.
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
reply to AZinOH

As long as you are purchasing the newest model iPod with the latest version of iOS (5.1.1) then you should be fine. There will be an initial setup on the iPod Touch out of the box which is totally independent of the Mac / PC. Once setup is complete you sould be able to use the iPod Touch as you wish.

The transfer of photos and videos without the direct use of a Mac / PC via a physical connection cable should be possible as well. There may also be more then one way to do it wirelessly.

This will require software be installed on both the iPod Touch and the Mac / PC though. On the iPod you would use the App store to download software (requires an Apple ID / password). Companion software for the Mac / PC can come from the software vender’s web page.

I have an Eyefi card which is a kind of wireless SD card for cameras. It allows the wireless transfer of photos from my Canon EOS DSLR camera to my Mac. With the right model Eyefi card I can send photos from the camera directly to an iOS device. Photos taken with the iOS device can also be sent to a Mac / PC which is more akin to what you want.

So Eye-Fi app on your iPod Touch (free) and Eye-Fi Center on your Mac / PC (free) should do it for wireless Video and photos transfer even without an Eye-Fi card. This is how I do it but I’m sure there are other options out there.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to AZinOH

said by AZinOH:

If the initial setup of the Ipod Touch requires iTunes to be installed on the PC, I can live with that. I'll just uninstall it afterwards. Thanks for your assistance.

You'll be fine then.

Is this for mainly games or photo/video? Just curious.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

So Eye-Fi app on your iPod Touch (free) and Eye-Fi Center on your Mac / PC (free) should do it for wireless Video and photos transfer even without an Eye-Fi card. This is how I do it but I’m sure there are other options out there.

I could never get automatic upload to work. (on a windows pc) So it is just a little simpler than emailing yourself the photos.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY
reply to J E F F

The latest version of iOS eliminates the need of a Mac or PC making such iOS devices independent stand alone products. This likely helps facilitate the sale of such iOS products to those who don’t have a Mac / PC, are uncomfortable in the use of a Mac / PC or are uninitiated in the use of a Mac / PC. At least this is the case for the iPod Touch and the iPad. I don’t have an iPhone so I cannot speak to that end but I don’t see why it would be different.

However, the installation of software / apps on these iOS devices will still be limited to the app store unless the OP wishes to jailbreak.

I personally think it’s a good idea to backup your iOS device(s) in iTunes just in case but beyond that I wouldn’t really push for the use of iTunes or the omission of it.

said by AVD:

said by Octavean:

I could never get automatic upload to work. (on a windows pc) So it is just a little simpler than emailing yourself the photos.

I don’t think I have ever had a problem transferring photos / videos with the new iPad and the Eye-Fi app. The camera is a bit different though because it could go into standby mode during a file transfer.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

is it automatic? you take the photo and find it on your computer a few minutes later? Or do you have to highlight the photo before it shows up?
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Not sure its been a while since I used it. I’ll check.

***edit***

OK, I checked by running the Eye-Fi app on the iPad and it looks like there may be manual settings.

However, I started the Eyefi app when the target Mac was off. I closed the app and closed the smart cover on my new iPad. I then turned on my Mac and it started transferring photos right away.

SoonerAl
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to AZinOH

Click for full size
Click for full size
One other way to share photos, videos between a PC and an iPod Touch is using the SkyDrive app on the iPod and a PC. I do that quite frequently. Its not automated but it works...

»apps.live.com/skydrive

Of course iCloud would also work or should...

»www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

FWIW I use an iPod Touch (4th gen device) all the time as a replacement for my old iPaq PocketPCs, ie. organizer, email client and lite websurfing. Its great for travelling since its always in my pocket. Note that I do use iTunes to sync the device with my Outlook 2010 Calendar and Contacts. I sync via USB once a week or so or when I make a major change to either the calendar or contacts.

Remember the iPod Touch still camera is not of a very good quality. The video is 720p however...

Also remember the iPod Touch does not come with a wall charger only a USB cable for charging from a PC/laptop. I highly recommend purchasing a wall charger particularly if you want to upgrade the OS over WiFi. Check your local retailer for options including the Apple Wall Charger...
--
"When all else fails read the instructions..."
MS-MVP Windows Expert - Consumer

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to Octavean

all the photos or only the ones you selected?
--

Octavean
Premium,MVM
New York, NY

Neither, it just sends the photos and videos that were added since the last transfer. It just seems to work without much effort.