join:2004-09-12
land of big

2 recommendations

goalieskates

Premium Member

5 Design Tricks FB Uses To Affect Your Privacy Decisions

TechCrunch
quote:
Do you know how many apps access your personal information on Facebook? Check your Facebook apps permissions and get ready for a surprise.

In fact, Facebook keeps “improving” their design so that more of us will add apps on Facebook without realizing we’re granting those apps (and their creators) access to our personal information. After all, this access to our information and identity is the currency Facebook is trading in and what is driving its stock up or down.

It should be no surprise that in the new App Center Facebook made another leap forward in their efforts to get you to expose your personal info without realizing you’re doing so.
With before and after shots.

FB has been "punished" in the past for changes in TOS and always promises to do better. Apparently those promises come with expiration dates.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna

Premium Member

I don't use FB apps.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

I don't use FB apps.

I don't use FB. :P

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
Click for full size
It's a bullshit article...apps can be turned off in privacy setting now for a longtime..and was never an issue...and even if one did not do that..if you read the comments at the link posted..you will see personal info is not automatically given.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to goalieskates

MVM

to goalieskates
Every time I have clicked on an app - FB TELLS you it accesses personal information and then gives you the choice allowing the app or not allowing it.
Stumbles
join:2002-12-17
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Stumbles to antdude

to antdude
I closed my account the day I read Zuckerberg's email interview where he said anyone was $NASTY_EXPLETIVES for trusting him with their data.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

I dont even have an account there (And i do whatever i can to avoid that intrusive site)

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit

Name Game to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed

Re: 5 Design Tricks FB Uses To Affect Your Privacy Decisions

When you add a Facebook application, it has access to nothing until:
1) the application pops up a dialog box to ask you for specific permissions
2) you agree to those permissions

Most apps will ask for "Basic Information" which is: name, profile picture, gender, networks, User ID, list of friends, and public information (any information you've made public / open to everyone).

If you want to see information available about you through our Graph API, ht tps://graph.facebook.com/[User ID or Username]?metadata=1 just type into your browser.

For me it comes up "false" since none of my info is set for public or open to everyone. You can check your own if you have a facebook account. So as long as facebook gives users a page for "privacy setting" and lets you use it effectively..I will stay with facebook.

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer

Premium Member

I've got a facebook account with minimum capability - no apps, no personal information, a grand total of 7 "friends". It's handy when I want to go to a news or local law enforcement page for information.

I've got a twitter account, but don't remember the login information since I haven't used it for so long.

I find LinkedIn useful since many of my past colleagues are in it. I've reconnected with a few of my favorites, and even had a couple of reminiscing lunches and idea swaps. I still don't put a lot of information on it, and don't get a sh*tload of junk mail related to people I never heard of wanting to "connect".