join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

reply to I AM

Re: [GW2] ArenaNet wielding a mighty banhammer

Text of their post on Reddit:

»www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comm···exploit/

Today we banned a number of players for exploiting Guild Wars 2. We take our community and the integrity of the game very seriously, and want to be clear that intentionally exploiting the game is unacceptable. The players we banned were certainly intentionally and repeatedly exploiting a bug in the game. We intended to send a very clear message that exploiting the game in this way will not be tolerated, and we believe this message now has been well understood.

We also believe and respect that people make mistakes. This is in fact the first example of a widespread exploit in the game. With this in mind, we are offering the members of our community who exploited the game a second chance to repair the damage that has been done.

Thus, just this once, we will offer to convert permanent bans to 72-hour suspensions. Should those involved want to accept this offer of reinstatement, contact us on our support website--support.guildwars2.com—and submit a ticket through the "Ask a Question" tab. Please use the subject heading of "Karma Weapons Exploit Appeal", then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit. You should submit only one ticket. Once you have done so, we will lower your ban to 72 hours, and following your re-activation we will check your account to make sure that you have honored your commitment. If that commitment is not honored, we will re-terminate the account.

This is a first and final warning. Moving forward, please make sure you that when you see an exploitable part of the game, you report it and do not attempt to benefit from it.

We look forward to seeing you in game,
Yours Sincerely,
Chris Whiteside- Lead Producer ArenaNet

Anyone perma-banned just needs to open a ticket to have it lowered to a 3-day ban. I'm guessing they won't be so lenient if that same person gets banned again for another exploit.

I, for one, completely agree with them. Build the reputation of having little mercy on exploiters and illegitimate gold farmers, and many cheaters will be discouraged from using GW2 in the first place. They can go back to WoW.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
kudos:2
These guys are straight up badasses....love it.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

They can go back to WoW.

That should be the punishment for cheating in GW2.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Or D3. Or SWTOR. I don't care.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
I'm glad they're doing this.

As long as this game doesn't get as bad as WoW with the gold farmers spamming trade, and Bots. Before I quit WoW, that shit was so bad with the chat spamming. I remember in early Cata, the Bots out farming were rampant. It's like Blizzard threw in the towel and said screw it.

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
reply to Koil
For all us Seinfeld fans.

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
said by facepalm:

For all us Seinfeld fans.

hahahaha one of my favorite episodes.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

said by Krisnatharok:

They can go back to WoW.

+1 lol

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX
said by TheThing:

said by I AM:

said by Krisnatharok:

They can go back to WoW.

+1 lol

+2 Hilarious. How did I miss this? lol
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Kaltes
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Goggalor

Re: arenanet can suck it

said by Goggalor:

Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshatery.

So you would support fines and jail for people who say things in public that these characters said in gw2? After all, if it is ok to make these rules in the game, why not apply those rules in public?

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
said by Kaltes:

said by Goggalor:

So you would support fines and jail for people who say things in public that these characters said in gw2? After all, if it is ok to make these rules in the game, why not apply those rules in public?

Not the same. ArenaNet owns the game, it is their property and we are allowed to use it. By doing so we must abide by their rules. Freedom of speech does not exist in a virtual world owned by another entity.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Kaltes
said by Kaltes:

said by Goggalor:

Freedom of speech/freedom of association don't work the same way on private property as they do in public.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Kaltes
said by Kaltes:

said by Goggalor:

Would you kick someone out of your house if they were swearing, insulting and demeaning your family?

Or would you support them and let them go at it in the name of freedom of speech?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
What would pandora do?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to ekster
I cannot understand how we still live in an age that the world's information is seconds away and people still somehow believe that their constitutional right to free speech means that people can say whatever they want and nothing negative can happen to them.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Savious
Premium
join:2012-03-05
Belgrade, MT
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: [GW2] ArenaNet wielding a mighty banhammer

Ok, now we all know I have a bit of a mouth on me, but I know for a 100% fact that I never said anything as close to what people being quoted in this thread have said.

I understand they want to keep the game clean and full of rainbows and unicorns, but I think they are extending this ban hammer way, way too far.

Not to mention I still dont know why I was "banned".

If my account is unbanned when I go home from work today, I am doing the chargeback.
--
Jobbie told me to keep my signature the same. This is me rebelling.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Did you submit a ticket? PM them on Reddit (they're one of the most active devs in their own subreddit)?

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Savious
Dude...so how the hell have you been playing if you're banned...didn't I see you online?

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
said by Koil:

Dude...so how the hell have you been playing if you're banned...didn't I see you online?

I was banned Monday afternoon.
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Krisnatharok
I've never used Reddit. Can you provide me with a link to the appropriate..... whatever its called over there.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
said by Savious:

I've never used Reddit. Can you provide me with a link to the appropriate..... whatever its called over there.

internet nub.

I'm behind a websense, but go to reddit.com and look for the Guild Wars 2 sub-reddit (think of it as a sub-forum).
--

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
I went there and searched guild wars 2, place is a damn mess!

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Savious
I thought I'd seen you on since then...

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
Me too. I'm confused.

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Koil
said by Koil:

I thought I'd seen you on since then...

Doubtful, but possible? I mean, my account is banned, so I dont know how that could have happened.

I logged in on greenapples account the other day and talked in guild chat about how pissed I was, but that was it.
--

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
Maybe that was it....

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

Me too. I'm confused.

I havent logged in sense Monday afternoon. If are sure you have seen me since then, the plot has thickened.

Last time I talked to you Ghast was when I was getting Apples in the guild.
--

pr1mo
Premium
join:2003-11-12
Harwood Heights, IL
reply to Krisnatharok
reddit.com/r/guildwars2

Savious
Premium
Belgrade, MT

1 recommendation

Thanks man

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Savious
said by Savious:

said by Ghastlyone:

Me too. I'm confused.

I havent logged in sense Monday afternoon. If are sure you have seen me since then, the plot has thickened.

Last time I talked to you Ghast was when I was getting Apples in the guild.

Yeah, you might be right. I think I remember that now. I didn't realize it's been since Monday.