spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WMoreNHDSL

@myfairpoint.net

[connectivity] Disconnects have started

Never had this issue before, started this past Friday, Connected fine, then suddenly the redlight comes on my modem Internet link, goes down, DSL link stays green. Trying to figure out if this is a Fairpoint issue or my hardware. Running an old Verizon Westell 6100, maybe time to upgrade the modem?

Any ideas what I should check? Or is this a know issue with Fairpoint.. have not called them yet. Will see if it gets better or worse

botayota

join:2008-05-19
Keene, NH
Spoke with FP tech, he said my network pw was not being recognized fully....did FP change something on their end???
He had me change my PW in connection window..also changed Connection to Fairpoint. He said now I should not have disconnects, and should have a better speed.
Just a FYI...:)

ajeff

join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..
reply to WMoreNHDSL
Can't speak for the whole FP network but around here I make beer money by replacing the Westell 7500's with refurb NETGEAR DGN1000-100NAR N150 ($20-25). No more disconnects/reboots. Personally I have a DGN2200 that I haven't had to reboot in months. Have FP tech support issue a new PW to get around the "walled garden". Anyone in the market for a slightly used Westell 7500 - cheap!

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
reply to WMoreNHDSL
Most likely a problem on FairPoint side maintaining the PPPoE session, not your router. Same thing happened with Verizon, but at least in my case seems to be more stable with FairPoint.

Will go multiple days, then the modem (Netopia 3346N) will have to reestablish the PPPoE session. DSL modem never loses sync. Same thing used to happen with a dumb Westel modem and external router.

I'm still using my old Verizon account PW, I though FairPoint changed authorization to recognize anything. There really is no need for a user account, since only the customer connected to the phone line is able to connect.

/Tom

botayota

Keene, NH
Well must have been a fp issue, my connection has again been steady for at least a week now. One question I have is I am about to install a DSL/POTS splitter at the NIB, currently I have a dedicated CAT5 line running to the room where my DSL equip is. I used a splitter at the
wall where I attach the modem and a phone+filter. Once I get the DSL/POTS splitter installed would it be better to not run phone on that cat5 line, or can I still run the phone & dsl on a seperate pair on that same line, and a splitter at the jack to directly connect the phone, and dsl modem ?

Clint

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·G4 Communications
·Fairpoint Commun..
·Hollis Hosting
Twisted pair does a excellent job isolating signals between the various pairs. You are not going to notice a difference between sharing pairs in the cable and multiple cables.

I prefer using an external POTS/DSL splitter. The phone company owns the NID and all the devices in it. An external Splitter typically has more filter stages so it delivers a higher level of isolation between signals. Having said that except in very special circumstances you will be unlikely to notice a difference.

Here is the data sheet for the one I'm using. It used to be made by Corning/Siecor but it looks like the design was sold to TII. The other advantage of an external Splitter is it includes the half-ringer test circuit. This allows the one in the NID to be removed. ADSL was designed to coexist with test circuit but if your signal is marginal every little bit helps.

»tiinetworktechnologies.com/repos···1211.pdf

/tom

botayota

Keene, NH
Tom...
thanks again for the good info, I was hoping I could use the same
CAT5 line to run Phone/DSL, will save me from pulling more line.
Will be pulling more CAT5, and updating the older phone lines in my house since I have notice some static on the line at times.