Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

robhouston

join:2001-09-15
Chester, NJ

[HD] Different Picture Quality Between Different Comcast Systems

Hello:

I'm spending the week on the Jersey Shore on Long Beach Island (aka LBI) in a house with a Comcast Cisco HD set-top box and a 40-inch Samsung LCD TV with 1080P capability (the TV reports the Comcast signal as 1080i). At home in Chester, NJ, I'm on a Comcast Motorola system, with my primary TV being a 42-inch Toshiba LCD TV with 720P capability, and this TV is about 4 years old.

The HD picture here on LBI is noticeably better than at home, with the picture having a bit more "depth" to it than I get at home.

I'm trying to figure out if the difference is the result of the TV's, or is it the Cisco versus Motorola systems? Perhaps the picture on the Comcast system at home is more compressed than on the Comcast system here at LBI? Or again, is it just the difference between an older Toshiba and new Samsung TV.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Re: [HD] Different Picture Quality Between Different Comcast Sys

What types of channels? For most national networks, Comcast compresses them 3 feeds to a frequency at a site in Colorado, then that is distributed. It should look more or less the same everywhere.

Most likely, it's differences between the TV's, assuming both are connected the same way (both HDMI or both Component.) LCD TV's are improving rather quickly. Also, different settings on the TV's can make a major difference. The defaults of most TV's with 120/240Hz interpolation, sunburn-level brightness, hyper-contrast settings, etc... can make a picture look 'punchier', usually at the expense of detail.

psuPete

join:2010-08-09
Lemont, PA
reply to robhouston

It may be that the STB needs to have it's configuration selection tweaked. I have a 720p TV and I have the STB do the down conversion of 1080i to 720p.

/Pete

robhouston

Chester, NJ
reply to andyross

Andyross:

National networks, including ABC and USA. Both TV's are connected using HDMI. I'll look at the TV adjustment here at LBI, but you may be right------improvements in LCD TV's may be what I'm seeing.

Thanks!

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

said by robhouston:

National networks, including ABC and USA.

Those (OTA) type of "national" (ABC, CBS, etc.) networks do NOT come out of Colorado - but instead come from your local OTA network affiliates...

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
reply to robhouston

The 1080i setting will make a difference and so will the cable boxes. I recently swapped out for a new one and the pic is clearer than my old one. Same TV

robhouston

Chester, NJ

At home, I believe I have the latest Motorola box (DCT-3400M, I think, used for AnyRoom DVR). I also think it is set for 1080i, same as here at LBI, but I'll have to confirm after I get home.

I'm still thinking that maybe the difference is the actual TV's.......

Thanks for the response!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to robhouston

For local broadcast stations, unless they are the same station in both locations, there could be differences as each has it's own compression, subchannels, and other issues.

robhouston

Chester, NJ

Thanks, Andyross, but the same NY stations are in both locations.