uniqs
share rss forum feed

luckydriver

join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream

best service for cell internet for PC?

i know very little about cell internet. My friend lives out in the boonies and his only options are satellite and cell. he's tired of his 56K.

i did some research on satellite but researching cell internet is a bit more challenging because this will be his main connection at home, not worried about he web on his phone per se.

he just wants basic web surfing, not d/l movies etc. nor gaming

so any recommendations on what service would be best for him...zip is 19507 if it matters.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

I used Verizon Coverage map to see what is in Zip Code 19507. The map centered on an area bounded by I-78, Airport Road, Shubert Road, and Frantz Road. The map shows solid 3G coverage, and LTE coverage to the West near Harrisburg. A better result would be obtained if you can provide the nearest intersection of two roads that your friend lives near. There are some no signal zones nearby to the area I mapped.

As far as ISPs the one I recommend for cellular is Millenicom, »www.millenicom.com/. Millenicom resells cellular internet access at a discount from what the primary providers charge. They resell Verizon, Sprint, and, I think AT&T. The best deal for your friend's situation, in my opinion based solely on Zip code, would be the Verizon based Advanced plan, »www.millenicom.com/page/plans#advanced_plan.

Why? The MiFi plan 3G/4G Hotspot plan costs $10/month more than the Advanced for the same data amount. It uses the Verizon system also. Since there is no 4G in the area yet, you are paying for a srvice you cannot use. If you need to get WiFi for multiple client devices it might be worth it. Or you can buy a Cradlepoint WiFi router that works with the USB760 of the Advanced plan.

The 3G/4G Unlimited Plan works using the Sprint cellular network. Unlimited does not mean unlimited. It means 50GB.
I do not recommend this plan as Sprint's cellular network is overloaded with users, resulting in poor cellular data transfer speeds in many areas of the USA.

luckydriver

join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Windstream

thanks for the info

so what speed approximately would 3G get him. i'm sure anything is better than 56K though.

he's a 4 minute drive north of the intersection of 183 and 78

so you just plug in the USB and enter your info and it's that ez to use?

60 a month for 20 gigs seems not so bad

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Speed in my average reception area is about 1Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up. The theoretical maximum is 3.1Mbps down/1.8Mbps up. I have never seen those speeds. I once saw 2.0Mbps down and about .6Mbps up. It is better than dial up. It is not so great for video. Websites with lots of Java junk and Flash foolishness can be slow to load.

Yes, you can just load and go after activation. It is usually recommended to go to the Verizon website and load the proper VZAccess Manager software on the computers you are going to use it with. It is said to be better than the Millenicom interface software.
»www.vzam.net/ »www.vzam.net/download/download.aspx
»www.vzam.net/download/supported.aspx
You would be looking for the Verizon Wireless USB760 version of the software for your particular operating system. It is listed on the second row from the bottom of the first listing table which is called "Data Devices".
At this time for Windows 7 it is VZAccess Manager v7.3.13 (2635a) for your Verizon Wireless USB760. For Mac(10.8.x) 64-bit only it is VZAccess Manager v7.4.5 (2782a) for your Verizon Wireless USB760.