Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: Just out of curiosity: Phone wiring in new construction

said by IowaCowboy:

The modem has a battery backup in it and I have it plugged into a UPS power supply.

How long will your batteries last? And what about Comcast's equipment? Do they have batteries? How long will they last? Alarm system batteries should last 24 hours and then be able to sound an alarm for 4 minutes.

These are all things you don't have to worry about with POTS, hence my statement that alarm systems work better with POTS.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

said by Bob4:

said by IowaCowboy:

The modem has a battery backup in it and I have it plugged into a UPS power supply.

How long will your batteries last? And what about Comcast's equipment? Do they have batteries? How long will they last? Alarm system batteries should last 24 hours and then be able to sound an alarm for 4 minutes.

These are all things you don't have to worry about with POTS, hence my statement that alarm systems work better with POTS.

Exactly. This is why I'm reluctant to move off DSL to cable. The cable company nodes are powered by the electric utility, and in theory, they have batteries in them. But I know how much maintenance Mediacom does (as little as possible), and even then, the batteries aren't going to last as long as the telco CO will. It has a generator, and my ADSL circuit is CO based, so it should stay up as long as any overhead wires are up.

boogi man
join:2001-11-13
Jacksonville, FL

boogi man to Bob4

to Bob4
that's fine i guess except that the last major power interruption we had here in jax the pots, cell and water all went down in less than 24hrs following the poco failure

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to Bob4

Premium Member

to Bob4
said by Bob4:

said by IowaCowboy:

The batteries are going to die for the alarm panel anyway at which point it doesn't matter if you have that a connection to the monitoring station or not. Besides in my installation we have a 20kw generator backup system for the entire house. Also companies that provide telephone service (either table or twisted pair) are required to have generators preinstalled on their nodes that, and automatically in the event of a power failure, problem solved!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

your house generator powers the local communications grid?? Cool!