Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to AZinOH

Premium Member

to AZinOH

Re: [Beginner] Ipod Touch Questions

said by AZinOH:

If the initial setup of the Ipod Touch requires iTunes to be installed on the PC, I can live with that. I'll just uninstall it afterwards. Thanks for your assistance.

You'll be fine then.

Is this for mainly games or photo/video? Just curious.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

The latest version of iOS eliminates the need of a Mac or PC making such iOS devices independent stand alone products. This likely helps facilitate the sale of such iOS products to those who don’t have a Mac / PC, are uncomfortable in the use of a Mac / PC or are uninitiated in the use of a Mac / PC. At least this is the case for the iPod Touch and the iPad. I don’t have an iPhone so I cannot speak to that end but I don’t see why it would be different.

However, the installation of software / apps on these iOS devices will still be limited to the app store unless the OP wishes to jailbreak.

I personally think it’s a good idea to backup your iOS device(s) in iTunes just in case but beyond that I wouldn’t really push for the use of iTunes or the omission of it.
said by AVD:

said by Octavean:

So Eye-Fi app on your iPod Touch (free) and Eye-Fi Center on your Mac / PC (free) should do it for wireless Video and photos transfer even without an Eye-Fi card. This is how I do it but I’m sure there are other options out there.

I could never get automatic upload to work. (on a windows pc) So it is just a little simpler than emailing yourself the photos.

I don’t think I have ever had a problem transferring photos / videos with the new iPad and the Eye-Fi app. The camera is a bit different though because it could go into standby mode during a file transfer.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

is it automatic? you take the photo and find it on your computer a few minutes later? Or do you have to highlight the photo before it shows up?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean

MVM

Not sure its been a while since I used it. I’ll check.

***edit***

OK, I checked by running the Eye-Fi app on the iPad and it looks like there may be manual settings.

However, I started the Eyefi app when the target Mac was off. I closed the app and closed the smart cover on my new iPad. I then turned on my Mac and it started transferring photos right away.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

all the photos or only the ones you selected?

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Neither, it just sends the photos and videos that were added since the last transfer. It just seems to work without much effort.