Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium
join:2003-07-10

[HN7000S] Strange connection issues

Lately I've had problems opening any but HTTPS sites. Strange, I know. I've rebooted, cleared cache, flushed DNS, and, force ranged. This morning I found that if I do the TurboPage teardown and change my selection to Auto Select or Use the Server configured below pages will load. They don't load consistently with either box checked. I just need to change it back and forth to get connected.

What could cause this? Would it be something on my end? Is there anything that I can do to keep things up and running without the hassle?

Thanks in advance!

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1

based on your comment that you can load HTTPS sites, but not regular sites (try »www.google.com, then »www.google.com), and that you appear to be able to at least temporarily resolve your issue by tearing down your Turbo Page connection, it sounds like there's DNS issue on your current Turbo Page server. under normal circumstances, regular HTTP traffic goes through the Turbo Page server, secure traffic does not. I've seen this issue a few times recently.

your options include,

-tearing down the Turbo page connection and getting another one as per the NOC's current rules (you may simply be reassigned the same problem turbo page server).
-manually inputting invalid turbopage settings, forcing your system to not use any Turbo Page acceleration, ie 0.0.0.0, port 86.
-rebooting your modem to attempt to have your Turbo Page server connection reassigned(will essentially be the same as just tearing down your turbo page connection).

finally, you should call your appropriate HughesNet tech support contact, and report the aforementioned symptoms, and specifically, mention which current turbo page server you are connected to.
you can find that out by going to your System Status page on your System Control Center, then locating the current
Operational; Upstream Addr: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" next to "Web Acceleration Status".

with that info, they should be able to locate the issue (if one exists), and resolve it in a timely fashion.

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium

said by LucasLee:

based on your comment that you can load HTTPS sites, but not regular sites (try »www.google.com, then »www.google.com), and that you appear to be able to at least temporarily resolve your issue by tearing down your Turbo Page connection, it sounds like there's DNS issue on your current Turbo Page server. under normal circumstances, regular HTTP traffic goes through the Turbo Page server, secure traffic does not. I've seen this issue a few times recently.

your options include,

-tearing down the Turbo page connection and getting another one as per the NOC's current rules (you may simply be reassigned the same problem turbo page server).
-manually inputting invalid turbopage settings, forcing your system to not use any Turbo Page acceleration, ie 0.0.0.0, port 86.
-rebooting your modem to attempt to have your Turbo Page server connection reassigned(will essentially be the same as just tearing down your turbo page connection).

finally, you should call your appropriate HughesNet tech support contact, and report the aforementioned symptoms, and specifically, mention which current turbo page server you are connected to.
you can find that out by going to your System Status page on your System Control Center, then locating the current
Operational; Upstream Addr: "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" next to "Web Acceleration Status".

with that info, they should be able to locate the issue (if one exists), and resolve it in a timely fashion.

Thanks for that information! Right now it is working well with whatever configuration I have. I will refer to this if the problem occurs again. I appreciate your time.

One More Too

join:2010-09-09
Galena, IL

1 recommendation

I agree with what Lucas Lee said. When I had Hughes service with a 7000S system, I periodically had the same issue, and I'm confident that the problem was with one or more of the available Turbo Page servers on Hughes end. Unfortunately, my experiences were such that it seemed to take Hughes longer than a reasonable amount of time for Hughes to correct the problems. When dealing with support, the folks in the Near East didn't seem to have any understanding of the problem and didn't seem to have the ability to communicate what I was telling them to anyone who had the ability to resolve the issue.

Doing the turbo page tear downs can give you temporary relief, but, unfortunately, the turbo page server to which you are assigned will periodically reset itself, especially after periods of time when your system has been inactive. What I found useful when I had the same issues was to write down the address of the turbo page servers that seemed to work well and, then, when I had a problem because my system was connected to a bad turbo page server, I would manually enter the address of one of the ones that seemed to work well. Again, this is only a temporary solution, and it is a pain to have to do it, but it is a workaround that will, at least, allow you to use the system until Hughes gets around to fixing things on their end.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to Just Rachel

Every body and there brother it seems is having DNS lookup errors. Seems to run in streaks.
They just about had a riot on the Hughesnet forums !
It seems to be system wide, not confined to 7000 or 9000s.

Hughesnet doesn't seem to admit or address the issue. They just keep wanting everyone to call India.

When it acts up I just leave an browser tab open to the teardown function and repeat as needed.

LucasLee

join:2010-11-26
kudos:1

said by gwalk:

When it acts up I just leave an browser tab open to the teardown function and repeat as needed.

in these circumstances, you should configure an invalid turbo page address. this will temporarily disable the turbo page functions.
simply rebooting your modem will remove the temporarily invalid turbo page address and get you back to normal.

if you're familiar with the Turbo page teardown options on your modem, simply select "Use TurboPage Server configured below",
then put in an invalid ip address such as "0.0.0.0" and leave port set to 86. click "Teardown Turbo Page connection" and you will have temporarily disabled your Web Acceleration.

as i said, a simple reboot of your modem will remove this config and put you back to normal operation.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY
reply to Just Rachel

Wild goose chase. HPEP/Turbopage is HTTP only. HTTPS goes around HPEP servers. DNS server is separate from both. Whereas it may superficially appear to be a "TurboPage" problem, it's pretty surely just a continuation of the ongoing DNS issues.

//greg//

Just Rachel
occasional optimist
Premium

said by grohgreg:

Wild goose chase. HPEP/Turbopage is HTTP only. HTTPS goes around HPEP servers. DNS server is separate from both. Whereas it may superficially appear to be a "TurboPage" problem, it's pretty surely just a continuation of the ongoing DNS issues.

//greg//

Perhaps. I don't know all of this stuff. I am not having problems loading secure sites at all. Only the others won't open pages until I've played around with the turbo page teardown. Nothing else works, but, this has truly helped. I have not been getting DNS lookup errors any more than what is normal.

grohgreg
Dunno. Ask The Chief

join:2001-07-05
Dawson Springs, KY

Sorry, I misread your opening statement. Missed the " but" part. Thought your problem was with HTTPS

//greg//