how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

samurai123

join:2007-07-15
Santa Clara, CA

A good NAS for home use

I'm looking for a NAS for home use which supports 2.5" SATA drives, USB 3.0 and 4 bay. I've a couple of 2.5" SATA II Hitachi mobile drives.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

A relative is a mac enthusiast and gave me a 2-bay version of this RAID enclosure--I am sure you could use 2.5"-to-3.5" brackets to mount them in something like this:

»eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTec···QKIT0GB/
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to samurai123

If you've got the budget for it (almost $700), the Synology DS412+ is probably the best 4-bay out right now and it has USB 3.0.

samurai123

Santa Clara, CA
reply to samurai123

I wouldn't mind to pay a bit more even if I get the technology returns and worth in terms of functionality, performance etc. I wish I could find a comparison charts of some of the well known Home/SOHO NAS out there.
Looking around, the QNAP products seems lucrative. Are they good? I don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with QNAP 419 PII ?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to samurai123

I have a MyDitto that I truly love. They're highly rated and reasonably priced. You can buy them bare bones or with one or two drives up to 4tb. You should at least check them out.

Hagar

join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to samurai123

SmallNetBuilder have speed charts and reviews.
»www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

QNAP is OK if you use many of the apps/services that they bundle. I have a 409 that has/is serving me well.

My suggestion is to buy a 2 slot BYOD drives NAS to see if you like it. If if you do buy the 4-5 slot one and use the 2 slot as a offsite backup.

I am thinking of buying a 419 and make my 409 the offsite backup.

samurai123

Santa Clara, CA

Thanks. I'll buy TS-219P II for now seems good enough for my current needs.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
join:2002-07-30
Denver, CO
reply to samurai123

I am heavily leaning on this model for my future NAS: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···22122086

I would probably have purchased it already but the future of my job is uncertain and to make a $1500-1800 purchase (I want 6x 2 or 3TB drives) on something I really don't need would be irresponsible.
--
What smells like blue?

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

Unless you need the software simplicity that comes with the box, it's easier to "roll your own" with Windows Storage Server (or OpenFiler) once you get past 4 bays simply due to cost and performance.

As far as appliances go, I have the QNAP TS-119, and it works great for iSCSI and all. The only issues I have with it is the fact that it uses a power brick (minor) and has issues with complex folder permissions if it's not set by an AD controller.

Omega, I'd suggest the Synology DS1812+ over the Netgear, more bays for the same amount of money.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

Okay I will definitely keep that in mind.
--
What smells like blue?

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA

What do you have now? I found that double capacity is a good why to grow.
Note 6 X 2 is the same as 4 x 3, you will have more choices in the 4 bay category.

jmacd27
Premium
join:2001-05-13
Toronto, ON
reply to samurai123

I'm loving my Synology DS1512+ here at home. It will do more than I ever need in a home environment, but it is nice knowing that if my needs change it can pretty much do anything I'll ask of it.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO
reply to Hagar

I have nothing right now except a 1TB hard drive and a file server with a mismash of old drives. I understand what you are saying about 4x3 vs 6x2 but 6x3 is more than 4x3

I will keep the 4 bay idea in mind in the future, it may be more cost effective.
--
What smells like blue?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

One thing about the 4-Bay NAS's is that most of them allow you to add at least 2 more drives externally. For example, the Synology DS412+ has 2 USB3 ports and 1 eSATA, while the QNAP TS-469-PRO-US has 2 USB3 ports and 2 eSATA ports. Even the 1 Bay TS-119 allows you to add a drive via USB3 and via eSATA. This means at least 3-4 drives, plus the internal drives, depending on how much you want to oversubscribe each port.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Omega

OK, 12-18 TB is a lot of data.

What will you put on the NAS?
How long will it take to max out?
How large will the cheap drive be when you need them 4-8 TB?
How do you plan to backup (raid is not backup)?
What about offsite backup (would be bad to loose everything in a fire)
Do you need de-duplication?

A lot of data is a headache if you realize you went down the wrong path. I am on my 3 storage strategy each work for me about 2+ years, hard to plan too far in the future.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

Non-compressed DVD ISOs and my multimedia files. I have a VERY large movie collection (500+), a large TV show collection (50+ TV shows), 17,500+ mp3s and 6,000+ pictures. Some of my DVDs are approaching 10 years old and it is only a matter of time before DVD rot sets in. Not to mention wear and tear from use.

Initial estimated requirements are about 3TB for the movies 4TB for the TV collection, 100GB for the music, 20GB for the pictures and another TB for random files/data. So that puts me at about 9TB to start off with. After that initial requirement, I can expect to add maybe 20-40GB/month. If I got 2x6 it would take 1-2 years to max it out (calculated at 10TB to allow for parity drive).

It is true that 3TB drives are the most cost effective per TB, but I do not want to constantly have to swap out drives and upgrade. I want a good amount of space that will last me a while before I have to explore larger options for more data (like Blu-Ray ISOs!)

The NAS is my backup plan, all data is already burned onto CD/DVD. Once the NAS is operational, the DVDs will be my backups. Add to that various hard drives with important data.

No off site data backup, it is not practical. I will explore setting aside a larger hard drive and storing it off site in the future, but this drive will only have important data, not ISOs.

No, I do no need de-duplication, I run a pretty clean file system that has minimal data duplication.

I know my plans are pretty lofty, but I have wanted this for a long time.
--
What smells like blue?

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

I like it you have a clear goal and done your home work.

Some comments and opinions, I think we have different opinions on RAID
1) Have you tried out your movie playing client/server. There are many options, not all use the ISO format. Are you sure the metadata tags are as you want them, you have a large collection metadata matters. Better to find out what you are going to use before you RIP all DVDs.
2) It takes a while to rip all of that and get the metadata tags done. I would buy drives as you need them. This avoids lemon drive models and prices seem to be going down.
3 ) I do not like NAS RAIDs, the more disks you have the higher likelihood of a disk failure. RAID and NAS is in most situations a bad combination. Forums are full of people who have problems and many have lost all data especially if NAS goes down with HD failure. Trouble upgrading firmware, problems upgrading drives etc. I would go FreeNAS and ZFS instead of RAID.
4) Buy the most cost effective drives and use old drives in disk docking station (if NAS maxed out) to take backups that you then store offsite.
4) Buy a SATA disk docking station with USB3 or eSata support. Regular USB2 is too slow for you volumes. A HD dock is only $30-40. This also helps you upgrade your NAS drives.
5) Buy an extra drive for DVD offsite backup. Cost little and will save you from having to rip all the DVDs again, what is your time worth. As sk1939 said your NAS will have USB3 ports or eSata ports. Taking backups of static or mostly static data is easy if you have a HD docking station.

Omega
Displaced Ohioan
Premium
Denver, CO

I really don't want a movie playing client, just something to store the ISOs. If I want to watch a movie, I can simply emulate the DVD on a computer.

Yes, I know this will be very time consuming.

What is the difference between RAID and things like Free NAs and ZFS? Is this anything like Netgear's xraid2?
--
What smells like blue?

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by Omega:

What is the difference between RAID and things like Free NAs and ZFS? Is this anything like Netgear's xraid2?

The difference is that the RAID for a NAS appliance is generally tied specifically to the hardware of that appliance (same holds true for hardware RAID using a RAID card on PC's), meaning the data can only be read by that type of appliance, whereas FreeNAS and ZFS is a software RAID which means that it can be read by any PC with the capability of reading the ZFS filesystem.

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

Nicely put sk1939

A hardware RAID without hardware spare parts is a big no no. NAS target is SOHO, put it up and forget about it. Few people buy two NASes of the same model and when the NAS breaks the model is no longer sold. RAID and NAS does not make sense in most cases.

ZFS is cool but you will not find a SOHO NAS appliance that has it, you need to build your own NAS of a PC. FreeNAS is popular software that turns a PC into a NAS and they support ZFS.

I did not go down the FreeNAS path for a few reasons
1) ZFS what not mature enough for me at the time I made the decision
2) I did not have a spare PC laying around
3) My (ARM) QNAP use a lot less electricity then an x86 PC. It has saved more $ than I paid for the NAS (not the counting the drives)

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to sk1939

With the Synology units unless you set up their special array type (which i didn't) it is just standard raid that can be mounted on any Linux system.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA

QNAP is the same way, but some of the other vendors have lock in issues.

samurai123

Santa Clara, CA
reply to samurai123

Bought my first NAS - QNAP TS-219PII

Hagar

Sunnyvale, CA

Welcome to the NAS club.

KoolMoe
Aw Man
Premium
join:2001-02-14
Annapolis, MD
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to samurai123

Good thread, I learned stuff.
Just to throw this out there, here's my setup:1
-Thecus 5002nm four-bay NAS. Currently only has two 1TB drives at RAID0 (mirrored) holding MP4s (movies/shows), MP3s (music), and picture library. There is an additional 1TB in there as auto-failover/rebuild.

-overall, totally happy with the unit. I do wish it supported more than one RAID config so I could do two separate mirrors. As-is, if I want to add another drive, it's either as a standby unit (as is currently used) or up'ing RAID levels.

-AD sync is a little flakey, but not troublesome enough to be a worry.

-I use the NAS Rsync feature to auto-copy the video/audio/image shares to a similar RAID setup on the domain server on varying schedules. (technically, not ideal, I know, but in a home use, AD server is very, very lightly used).

-The server RAID gets the drives the NAS used to have when the NAS drives are upgraded. For example, when the previous 750gb NAS drives went over 500gb used, I upgraded the NAS drives to 1tb and moved the 500gb RAID to the server. Also not ideal to have backup drives have less space than primary, but I'm pretty good at watching usage and haven't had a problem yet...(2xknock)

-I did have to wipe and rebuild 750gb RAID on the server as, others have mentioned, it uses a different RAID controller.

-All computers in the house point to the shares for the media, including the iTunes setups and the AppleTV...and so far, no problems with access or streaming to any device. All works very well.

My biggest concern is a lack of scheduled off-site backup. As-is, I copy the 'pictures' folder to a large USB key and swap it out in the bank safety deposit box....whenever I go there...and remember to do it...

I don't have any geeky neighbors immediately around to consider a backup swap. Ah well. Maybe once my parents upgrade to a faster connection...
KM
--
Don't Lie - Be Kind - Realize your Potential

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to samurai123

I recently bought a Qnap TS-469-Pro
it seems good.

It has 4 drives, Sata3.0 USB3.0, dual gig nics.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to samurai123

As I have stated on other threads, most DSL people seem to have a gazillion dollars to throw at NAS boxes and often thats before one has the hard drives additional cost. So take your 8 bay thecus boxes and qnap aston martins and putem where the sun dont shine (and yes I wont argue that they are incredible and great value - but try to explain that to your wife or husband LOL - talking average home user, not the geek o philes here)

I have two earlier cheapie Dlink NAS boxes 323 and 320 I think, and recently acquired two more, the netgear readyduo v2 and the zyxel NSA325. Both I think on the street are between 150-175ish.

They are more in the ball park of the attainable cost wise with the features that a typical home user would desire...... Performance would meet any home network needs streaming etc....

»www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas

The Netgear duoV2 peformance spec is on their charts too so I expect a review on that one will be published.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

SSX4life
Hello World
Premium
join:2004-02-13
kudos:3
reply to Hagar

**text removed** nothing to see here