malquin

join:2005-05-13
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Update for Videotron new speeds?

Hi TSI people.

Videotron announced last month and already started to upgrade their speeds and monthly caps.

My guess: it has something to to about the great article in the Protegez-Vous (Quebec equivalent to Consumer reports) about the terrible prices and caps offered by Videotron and Bell that strongly recommended to go with any of the other smaller players.

I noticed by resetting my modem that my old 15/1.5 package is now at 20/2, just like for Videotron customers. (Pretty happy about that too!)

So the question is: Does TSI plan to update their new website to reflect these new speeds? Also, do you think these changes will have an impact on the TSI cable package offering?

HenryB

@teksavvy.com
reply to TSI Marc

Re: New TekSavvy Website!

I have been trying to change my service from DSL 6 to DSL 6 Lite but was asked to use your My World portal. However, my email bill to address is not attached to my CID and I was unsuccessful. I have sent emails to support/tech/accounting to report this and to have the change in place before my September billing. NO ONE has looked after this for me and I was billed for DSL 6 in Sep! I am appealing to you for a resolution to this problem. I am very disappointed. PLEASE help.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33

If you are having issues with the MyWorld page, please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum. We'll be able to confirm the information for you.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

should have more updates on friday again.

So what gets fixed today?

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:26

waiting for the release notes still
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

said by TSI Marc:

waiting for the release notes still

Replacing the many incorrect uses of "bandwidth" to say "monthly internet usage"?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by grunze510:

Replacing the many incorrect uses of "bandwidth" to say "monthly internet usage"?

....or 'monthly internet traffic'.

Even without adding the policeman character (or postponing him until later), changing to that term describes very well what is happening with each account.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to creed3020

We didn't get everything ready we were hoping for but we deployed these;

1) Performance enhancements
2) SEO around the page Title

seems quite a bit faster to load now.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON

I just tested and it does seem to load much faster. I can always remember waiting for it to finish but it just finished loading.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

it is pretty snappy isn't it? they had to go right into the source code of orchard and make some changes after looking at performance monitor on the SQL server. They managed to get more than 100% improvement on page load.. not sure what the exact number is but it does change the feel of the site and the navigation of it all.

When I sat down with everybody and explained everything I thought needed changing and including some of the suggestions I received here. We all agreed that the speed of the site was contributing to the feeling of it being more difficult to get useful info from the site than the previous site. clicking between different speed options and stuff was like.. geez.. com'on already. we're working on the other suggestions still... we're working on other suggestions still. some are due on monday.. others will take longer still.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

the SEO stuff was added too.. if you look at the top of your browser.. it used to only say "TekSavvy" no matter what page you clicked on... now each page has the correct details depending where you click... still working on all the different meta info for each page.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Kev
TekSavvy.com
Premium
join:2005-06-12
canada
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

it is pretty snappy isn't it? they had to go right into the source code of orchard and make some changes after looking at performance monitor on the SQL server. They managed to get more than 100% improvement on page load.. not sure what the exact number is but it does change the feel of the site and the navigation of it all.

When I sat down with everybody and explained everything I thought needed changing and including some of the suggestions I received here. We all agreed that the speed of the site was contributing to the feeling of it being more difficult to get useful info from the site than the previous site. clicking between different speed options and stuff was like.. geez.. com'on already. we're working on the other suggestions still... we're working on other suggestions still. some are due on monday.. others will take longer still.

You really should utilize Gzip Deflate on the server. It will cuts down the the size 50% of the page.
--
Teksavvy.com + 300GB Bandwidth awesomeness!

MXB

join:2009-12-18
Burlington, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to TSI Marc

I've tried the site with 3 different browsers inc. Opera 10.63 and there's a weird overlay of giant white numbers over the dsl package pages. Almost impossible to read anything. Yes. I wrote giant white (or blank space) numbers (I think). Not sure how or if I can send a screen cap...
--
01/01/01

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON
reply to TSI Marc

@Marc: The network status page link is broken on the Tools page

It has the following link: »teksavvy.com/en/support/tools#

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Three big issues still (at least):

Visiting the site prompts with an un-ignorable "tell me your location gizmo". Obnoxious as all get out.

No email address for tech support. I want to mail log files as attachments, but the webform is fricking worse than useless for that.

The site fails when visited with "http://teksavvy.com/en/"

Someday, someday..

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

said by mlord:

Visiting the site prompts with an un-ignorable "tell me your location gizmo". Obnoxious as all get out.

Isn't that cookie related? Your not using private browsing or Incognito?

said by mlord:

No email address for tech support. I want to mail log files as attachments, but the webform is fricking worse than useless for that.

We prefer a copy/paste of the details then a screenshot. Reason be is we can't send attachments either
--
TSI Martin (Escalations / Social Media) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )
Follow me on Twitter : @TSIMartin

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

Must be cookie related, I only got the popup for location the first time I visited the new site, after that I just used the dropdown to change between provinces whenever I needed to look up a different one.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ididsame

@nexicom.net
reply to mlord

said by mlord:

I did the same thing. The problem is that there isn't a default province selected. So you "must" select a province to move on. It works fine on private browsing on Firefox and Chrome.

grunze510

Cote Saint-Luc, QC

1 edit

I also posted this in the Lite Goes from 3Mbit/s -> 6Mbit/s thread, but I think it fits this thread better.

The Ontario cable page is a mess right now. It includes both cable plans for Rogers territory and Cogeco territory, and people who don't know their respective plans won't know what's what. I guess you can fill out the address form, but there should probably be an easier way to sort it out. So here's my suggestion.

When you click on Ontario in the province chooser, it'll pop up a window asking you to select one of the following:
- Click here if you live in the Greater Toronto Area, Ottawa Area, Kitchener/Waterloo, London, or Barrie. (and whatever other Rogers areas I'm missing)
- Click here if you live in Chatham. (Kingston, or other. I think TekSavvy only serves Cogeco-based cable in Chatham right now)

It's sloppy, but it makes more sense than what they're doing right now. If anyone has a better idea here, there's probably no harm in suggesting it.

EDIT: I missed two periods. Yup.

vientito1

join:2009-01-09
reply to TSI Marc

I have noticed something a bit inconsistent. For cable service, ontario side will list firmware version for all compatible cable modems but quebec side has no such prerequisite. Does it mean firmware version will not be an issue for videotron infrastructure?

the cerberus

join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

said by vientito1:

I have noticed something a bit inconsistent. For cable service, ontario side will list firmware version for all compatible cable modems but quebec side has no such prerequisite. Does it mean firmware version will not be an issue for videotron infrastructure?

Firmware version was never an issue until rogers made it one.
There are a couple versions of firmware that are unsupported on rogers because they will cause the end user issues.
Generally speaking cable modem firmware SHOULD be a "if its not broken, dont fix it" attitude. AKA if you aren't having an issue, dont upgrade.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to grunze510

said by grunze510:

The Ontario cable page is a mess right now.

It includes both cable plans for Rogers territory and Cogeco territory, and people who don't know their respective plans won't know what's what....

This would be even easier as a temp solution :

Until TSI serves more than Chatham thru Cogeco, REMOVE Cogeco (Chatham) from the results.

Then add a wee subscripted line to all results screens : "If you live in Chatham, click HERE".

Quick and dirty.

Git-er-DUN !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

mlord

join:2006-11-05
Nepean, ON
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Martin

said by TSI Martin:

said by mlord:

We prefer a copy/paste of the details then a screenshot. Reason be is we can't send attachments either

And we prefer to send email from an email client, so that we can keep a copy of what we sent, edit and use spellcheck, and attach log files when necessary. Get with the 20th century, guys.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON

But you can use a client & email support@teksavvy.com.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Here are the release notes from the upgrades earlier last week;

· Performance improvements via output caching.
· Performance improvements via internal caching.
· SEO improvements.
· Improved service qualification form.
· Fixed contact us now form.
· Fixed unit display for hosting packages.
· Fixed Eastern DSL web form links.
· Improved integration between public website and order forms.
· Fixed general content inaccuracies.
· Fixed web forms footer links.
· Fixed French localization content.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by TSI Marc:

· Fixed general content inaccuracies....

....such as incorrectly referring to usage as bandwidth ?

Ya, I know that BH#$ELL does this too, but youse don't wanna be like THEM !

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23

You realize that you're pretty much the only person who keeps on about that, right? The rest of us understand that it's a minor grammatical difference that has no real-world impact.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by Guspaz:

You realize that you're pretty much the only person who keeps on about that, right? The rest of us understand that it's a minor grammatical difference that has no real-world impact.

It does if any of us wish to raise a point of conversation about what bandwidth REALLY is, and nobody understands us.

Examples :

Discussions about how to configure QoS - which can be confusing all on its own.

Conversations regarding adjusting p2p apps for internal bandwidth limiting - which they all let us do - and in their menus almost always use the term 'bandwidth' properly.

There are other situations, but you can see what I mean from just the 2 above.

= = = = = = =

BTW, was your post just a thinly veiled attempt to say that you miss JF here ?

He too has been actively vocal about about correctly using terms such as bandwidth and usage.

--

-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

grunze510

Cote Saint-Luc, QC

Dude, don't worry about it. TSI_Timmy is already looking up Guspaz's address to head over and give him a major lecture.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by grunze510:

....TSI_Timmy is already looking up Guspaz's address to head over and give him a major lecture.

I dunno about that.

Things have a way of falling thru the cracks.

Last I heard, the IA in TPIA now stands for 'Information Abyss'.

It might take more time to get the 'TSI Timmy' theme happening, but surely they could fix all of the text references ahead of time, in preparation for the graphical integration of their new celebrity character.

Not only would it show good faith on their part, but good accuracy of their site.

--