uniqs
share rss forum feed

dgoner
Premium
join:2002-03-08
Knox, IN
reply to tmc8080

Re: will customers pay?

Metered billing for broadband is so draconian. If ISP's don't want to budge on getting rid of caps then a much better system is the bucket of bits then throttling. For instance if the cap is 200 GB why not just throttle any user that exceeds that cap within a given month to barely broadband speeds. You can even group the speed drops based on thresholds... 0-200 GB full speed, 250-300 GB 1/4 speed, 300 GB + dial up speed. It accomplishes their goal... Network use is eased and the customer doesn't have to fear a large bill at the end of the month. If I had to live with a cap system (I prefer none) then that is the type of system I'd feel most comfortable with.

Wilsdom

join:2009-08-06

Throttling back to dial-up isn't much different than a complete shutoff on the modern web, but speed reductions could make sense... if congestion was what the bandwidth rationing was really about, and not those sweet large bills at the end of the month

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

they can make it like 250gb full speed data and then after that pay more or get slowed down.