Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6 to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma

Re: New home build framing question.

said by Coma:

My father, who was a builder, once told me that a crappy built house will last almost as long as a well built house.

Unfortunately...

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

I have lived in both and I admit that I own both.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

My father, who was a builder, once told me that a crappy built house will last almost as long as a well built house.

"almost"

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Homes built years ago are still standing and yet did not use the "improved" "enhanced" building methods of today that allows all homes on average today to only last about half as long as yesteryear. That is if you are lucky to get a better one.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Homes built years ago are still standing and yet did not use the "improved" "enhanced" building methods of today that allows all homes on average today to only last about half as long as yesteryear. That is if you are lucky to get a better one.

they don't build them like they used to.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by AVD:

they don't build them like they used to.

You have the answer. Inferior building materials and the lower quality of builders as compared to the highly skilled carpenters in the past. Only a very few now in the U.S. can compare.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to AVD

Premium Member

to AVD
said by AVD:

"almost"

Yep !

That's what he said.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to rbnice1

to rbnice1
After almost 2 years of watching current construction across the street I wish I would have bought a new house instead of a 1960 house. Today's high efficiency houses are pretty sweet.

My own garage addition happening now is built like a tank compared to the old construction. On the flip side the crappy 1960 foundation/structure made it over 50 years. Pretty impressive given today's construction.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Any houses built from about 1960 on are garbage compared to those prior to that. Even though they were not as energy efficient as electricity, fuel oil and gas was a cheap commodity so it didn't matter then. The construction and materials were far superior to later construction.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo

said by Jack_in_VA:

Any houses built from about 1960 on are garbage compared to those prior to that. Even though they were not as energy efficient as electricity, fuel oil and gas was a cheap commodity so it didn't matter then. The construction and materials were far superior to later construction.

Faults from houses in those days are manageable. Over the years they needed to be renovated anyways, so chances to upgrade the insulation in the walls and the furnace equipment HAD to be changed anyway to today's 90%-95% efficiency.

In my 1964 house, I was able to "energy efficiently" put my attic insulation higher than code (I'm at R55) and basement (R27).

I was able to properly seal most of the duct work and also notice that is hasn't shown any signs of corrosion.

What you can't change during routine renovations are the "bones" of the house (Foundation, structural beams, brick siding, etc).

I love my 1964 house. I can see the bones of it while I'm redoing the basement and insulating my attic. They look just like new. In 46 years, the electrical panel still shows no sign of rust.

If in 46 years there has been no structural problems due to construction defects, then there will never be problems like that.